Edge hugging is obselete! WooHoo!

Well, I'm most pleased to report that after over twenty all-tank battles on the diagonal board, we have yet to encounter a single case of edge hugging (edge hugging is where a tank will drive along the edge of the board to avoid being flanked). It's still possible, but it's so hard to execute that the terrain ends up dominating strategy instead (as it should). How have experiments gone with non-armor units?

FYI, to make a diagonal board, just set the start zones to be opposite corners of a square board so you're fighting across a diamond shape. Avoid maps with unapproachable high ground in the start zone.

Thank you all for the congratulations. Last I recall, there was some concern that putting a start zone in the corner made forces prone to artillery bombardment. I suppose all that depends on how large the battle is. I haven't tried this with infantry or other stuff, just tanks.

I think this is a fantastic idea. It should also make actual flanking moves possible, because the effective width of the map widdens 41% at the center-line. As for the concern about early artillery, just allow a decent amount of room near the corners, like the corner 6 "large squares" (equals 100x100m sections) in the map editor. (a 3-2-1 "tetris block", if you get me). That should be wide enough to prevent early arty from going to town too much, since infantry can be spread over ~400-500 yards by the end of a minute of two. Bravo.

Yes, I can vouch personally that flanking is very prevalent in a diagonal scenario. The first guy to get to cover around the left or right corners of the diamond gets flanking rights.

In quantity vs quality tank battles, the Tigers race to get lines of sight that go all the way across the board so they can shoot down Shermans running sideways to flank. If they can't kill enough Shermans this way, then the Shermans usually have little difficulty closing in on the Tigers from all directions. From then on it's a matter of timing: make sure all the Shermans pop up at the same time and you'll get that rear shot.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sightreader:

Last I recall, there was some concern that putting a start zone in the corner made forces prone to artillery bombardment. <hr></blockquote>

Jason made one good suggestion for avoiding this. Another option is to provide FO's as reinforcements two or three turns into the game - that way units have time to get out of the corner.

Well, should anyone want to test a neat diagonal scenario, post here and I will start pairing off playtesters.

The scenario is a US armored advance against what becomes a heavily armored german force.

It is not purely diagonal, but it is close in spirit.

WWB

I think I emailed the Combat Mission people once about setting up more scenarios like this, but never got a reply or acknowledgement. Maybe I didn't do it right?

Certainly I don't claim to be the first to set up a map diagonally. I may be one of the first to recognize its potential for solving the edge hugging problem, but I don't know that for sure either. All I can say is I came up with the idea independently, and for that I am happy and have high hopes that the idea will improve everyone's experience.

Unfortunately, I have back problems and can't play scenarios that last more than 20 minutes, so I haven't tested it on anything other than small tank battles. I was curious if any of you guys out there with healthy backs might have tried it with a wider variety of units...?

Many are aware of it, and it has been well used. For example, many of the Der Kessel Byte Battles are on a slant, mainly to maximize space for combat. Generally, is is one of those things I use when it is appropriate.

Also note that a well designed map can eliminate edge hugging without resorting to other tricks.

WWB

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sightreader:

Oh yeah, one more thing: what's the best way to make Scenario folks aware of this? I don't want to cross post this to the Scenario Talk forum: I did that before and learned that cross posting is an Evil Thing...<hr></blockquote>

Scenario people know about it. What I am wondering is how you would implement this for large battles. If you have more then a company of men on the map its hard not to have some units near the edge of the map. I very much like the idea, but for large or huge battles its not very useful. Most of those maps are already very big. For you idea we would have to use even bigger maps. Also this can't be done in Operations...not that may people play or make them, anyway.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]</p>

Another choice would be to apply undriveable terrain near the edge with an open plateau above it. This would also assist in keeping units away from the edges or at least observable when they are doing it. I have seen a few maps like you describe, and besides the battles at Der Kessel I haven't much liked them.

I'm not sure I fully understand the big battle problem: is it that you can't cram that many guys into a corner, or that the corner would have to be so large that the map would become enormous? You could enlarge your start zones by making them triangular rather than diamond shaped, but I assume that's not the issue...

Definitely you can fiddle with terrain to prevent edge hugging. For a guy to does a lot of Auto Generate, that's a pain, but for a scenario designer, it's reasonable.

The ideal map, of course, would be circular, but for a game that intrinsically does things in square grids that's sorta unnatural for things like Auto Generate.

A truly good map would have no edges at all. ;) Well you hit it on the head, you would need a huge map. Oh I could have 6 Shermans and a Battalion of men in a corner yes. But here are the problems:

As I have said you would need a huge map. Changing the setup areas size wouldn't change that at all. I agree with the principle of th idea, but can it be use effectively in CM? You said you tested small battles (20 turns did you say). From the number of scenarios I have played (must be at least 1000 by now) not very many are that long. In the time frame all the AI has time to do is attack head on. Now if you didn't play the AI you wouldn't have the problem. :D I know some people to edge hugging, but the shape of the map will not really change this. Thats all for now.

Rob

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Panzerman:

Changing the setup areas size wouldn't change that at all. I agree with the principle of th idea, but can it be use effectively in CM? You

<hr></blockquote>

I was wondering if edge hugging is even much of an issue with a large battle and a wide front. Of the large number of units arrayed, it would seem that only a small percentage could take advantage of it.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>

said you tested small battles (20 turns did you say). From the number of scenarios I have played (must be at least 1000 by now) not very many are that long. In the time frame all the AI has time to do is attack head on. Now if you didn't play

<hr></blockquote>

Actually, I meant 20 minutes, not 20 turns. Most of the games were over in less than 10 turns. However, without infantry, there is nothing for tanks zipping around to be careful of, so they can cross the map in about 3 turns.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>

the AI you wouldn't have the problem. :D I know some people to edge hugging, but the shape of the map will not really change this. Thats all for now.

Rob

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ][/QB]<hr></blockquote>

Actually, this was the principal target of the diagonal map: to prevent edge hugging by humans without forcing them to play irrationally. How do humans continue to use edge hugging on a diagonal map? I think it's a possibility, but in the diagonal tank games I've played it's so difficult to set up that one prefers to exploit terrain instead. Is it likely to be more prevalent with infantry?