Edge hugging is obselete! WooHoo!

Outer board definition:

Generally, this is not considered a sporting maneuver. After all, on a real battlefield, the enemy would have units along an extended front, so there isn't a map edge to give you that type of virtual cover.

Cesspool Definition:

When I do it, it's smart strategy. When you do it, you are a gamey bastard (yeah, kinda like a Croda), because in real life, my other OPFOR units would be beating the snot out of your flanks.

I agree with the last three posts: edge hugging is often the only logical way to play, especially if there's good cover over there. Now the question is, does the diagonal board eliminate it without interfering with your tactical options? I think it's safe to say that in small scenarios this trick works; however, I never play big scenarios and this solution may be impractical.

In the scenarios I play, my front line is a little spot in my corner of the diagonal map. If your front line is straight on a diagonal board, then you have more room to deploy troops, but your start zone is triangular and the deep territory pointing at you may be wasted space. This may increase the board size beyond any practical limit. However, in exchange, you get the wider middle ground which may open up some possibilities for flanking. Once you get to the middle ground and start working your way into enemy territory, I think you can edge hug your way in, but at least you have to earn the right to do that. Hard for me to say: my health is too poor to play long battles on such a large scale.

Herr Oberst's post now has me wondering something else...

Sure it's gamey edge hugging, and sure diagonal boards help solve it. But is it gamey to flank someone on a diagonal board? When you flank, wouldn't you theoretically get shot at from additional enemies farther to the side?

In my tests, once a flanking manuever has been done, you still have to get everyone to attack at the same time, which is no easy thing with a moving enemy.

I think the best way to avoid the concentrated troops getting creamed by Arty, is for a gentlemans agreement not to use it for, say, 3 minutes. It will only work if you trust your opponent, but Fionn's 75/76 rules were well accepted in some quarters, so 'gentlemen' DO exist.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Offwhite:

Jason made one good suggestion for avoiding this. Another option is to provide FO's as reinforcements two or three turns into the game - that way units have time to get out of the corner.<hr></blockquote>

Won't that work to help with the artillery problem? I think it pretty much has the same effect as the gentleman's agreement, no?