Knowing a tank is dead...

I was having a hard time coming up with a topic name for this thread, but the basic premise is this:

Short of the target tank popping its turret or catching on fire, tank commanders would have some moment of hesitation and probably even no clue if they killed the target tank or not.

I guess this ties in to the whole tank/gun reaction time argument, but I think it would be more realistic if you didn't instantly know you killed an enemy tank everytime, requiring your crews to maybe take a second or even third shot to gurantee a kill, or at the very least adding a pause, simulating the T/C verifying the kill.

Having a tank instantly re-target after they kill an enemy tank (Especially very distant targets) like Robocop in a crackhouse is very unrealistic.

Gyrene

A partial solution would be to:

1. Turn off 'Detailed Armor Hits'

2. Only observe the target from your most forward position or the firing tank. (no flying over there with the mouse to check things out)

3. Rely only on zoom X2 or X4 to observe.

"Slowly we come to appreciate the realism of Franko's True Combat Rules" -- Louie the Toad

Louie, this won't solve the dilemma of the tank's AI knowing, instantly, that it has killed the target. Once the killing shot has been fired, your tank will traverse to the next target. Even w/ detailed hits off, ground level observation, etc, that tank will immediately change targets, letting the player know what has happened.

DjB

For CMBB I hope they put in a new command play dead. For tanks this would mean sinking the gun and generally looking dumpy. For infantry maybe they roll over on their backs with paws up in the air...no wait that would be too obvious, okay they smear themselves in someone elses blood and maybe arrange body parts on themselves. Then maybe the FOW would show them to the enemy as KIA, so that they can pop up later surprise! and shoot the nice enemy blokes in the back.

Well judging from the anti-armor combat that has been shown in Band of Brothers, there's usually some sort of visual reference such as debris from the target tank that 'spodes into the air. So until the CM can model impact special effects as these, then we'll probably just have to live with the current state of things.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I think under mosr circumstances, the cictorious gunner should be able to see the crew bail out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but not instantly. Plus, if the crew gets eliminated but the tank does not burn then the shooting tank still has no way to know with 100% certainty that the target is dead.

Gyrene

I agree with the fact that we currently still know too much about the enemy (the classical example is of course the gun hit, when all of the sudden noone fears that tank anymore) - so I too look forward to extreme FOW.

As for playing dead... that is one of the reasons most german tankers fired additional shots into immobile tanks (when they had time to). Not only did that make sure they were really dead, but also it made sure that these tanks would be hard-impossible to repair once the battle was over.

If you're playing an operation that extends over more than one day (there are several of them out there at the various scenario websites), it would behoove you to make sure every enemy vehicle is burning. Abandoned vehicles can come back to haunt you the next day.

I've started to make it a habit to ensure everything burns, even in scenarios. It's a good habit to get into, especially if you're in the CMMC. smile.gif

Yes I have seen sme video of a Pershing? Or maybe it was just a Jumbo fighting a Panther in the streets of Berlin. He hit the tank once killing the commander. Then proceeded to pump at least 3 more shells into the thing causing it to erupt in flames.

Gen

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

hehehehehee...Why am I lauging?

Oh me, no reason...Lets just say we got this particular matter well in hand in CMBB..Well indeed..

Madmatt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matt is like an eight-year-old with a secret. Sheesh. Give us SOMETHING to go with here!

:confused:

were there any pershings or jumbos in berlin you ask? why would their be? at that stage of the war the russian war machine had alot more armor then the us and uk combined, the stalin tanks, or is 2's were of much better quality then the paltry pershing or the jumbos, and using band of brothers as a recourse for information is not good, it's a movie, an hbo movie at that, contrary to popular beleif, steven speilberg, nor tom hanks have ever been in world war 2, but before i go on an on, i just wanted to make clear that not only were the german tanks superior to ours, the soviets were as well, 90% of german tiger tanks knocked out on the russian front were do to air attacks, or more commonly they simply ran out of fuel and or ammo and were abandoned, so in short, hehe , their were no american tanks in berlin

<<"Or maybe it was just a Jumbo fighting a Panther in the streets of Berlin."

???????????

Were there any Pershings or Jumbos delivered to the Russians?

I thought the Russians took Berlin?

Or am I missing something here????? >>

I believe the video was shot in the ruins of Hamburg, a very frightening video indeed. There were Shermans in the Russien Tank Armies though, but I'm pretty sure they were only earlier models, and not many to say the least. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dave

capt. canuk, though we did supply the soviets with greatly needed shermans during the dreary years of 41-42, once the russian war machine kicked into high gear they started producing t-34's at an insane rate, also lots of su assault/anti tank guns, kv's and later the stalin tanks, the shermans grew obsolete very fast on the eastern front, as did the p-39's and p 40's we donated to the cause, the easern and western fronts were like night and day

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

hehehehehee...Why am I lauging?

Oh me, no reason...Lets just say we got this particular matter well in hand in CMBB..Well indeed..

Madmatt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds good!

even if you are only TEASING us! smile.gif

you know we all just can't wait for your next CMBB release!!!!

Bring it ON!!!

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kurtz:

IIRC, this will be fixed in CMBB with the extreme FOW.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds good

the Extreme fog of war should elevate this GREAT game (the new CMBB I mean) to a NEW level of wargaming Paradise.

I'm sure they are making a GREAT new game that they (the four of them) will totally ENJOY playing with the Extreme FOW on so we should ALL enjoy it immensely as well!!

-tom w