==The Free Endgame Randomizer for CM!! Finally. No more flag rushes!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a follow up to the question about using it against the AI. The only way to absolutely end the game when the BER indicates such is to do a cease fire. I don't know if the AI is going to match your cease fire on the same turn, so the game may not end then. Am I missing something? The BER was designed with head to head games in mind. Maybe someone will get creative and think of a cool way to implement it against the AI.

Hope this helps. And now that the BER is out, feel free to let us know your comments and ideas. We may try to implement that aforementioned bell curve request (as an option) where the game is more likely to end closer to the game length (see above post). We will see. We want to get the secure mode finished first though smile.gif

Take care,

TeAcH

This programm looks very promising , but all I get when I try to start the setup.exe file is a " System error & H80004005 " message. Can someone help ? I am working with a PIII 500 mhz/ 64 MB ram , Win 98 PC.

Thanks in advance

Tom

> Any chances for macusers?

Write it yourself. How is that thing called on Mac that is like VisBasic? Smartcards or some such? Saw it on a Mac 14 years ago (the first and the last time I put my hands on a Mac). Without the interface and error handling routines, it shouldnt be more than 10 minutes job.

Or you can roll the dice by hand. smile.gif

Ie, it is the idea itself that rocks, not the implementation.

[ 05-25-2001: Message edited by: Skipper ]

I have played one game against the AI using BER as the battle ender. I set up a 20 turn battle. BER was set at 10 turns. turn 17 it get "Cease Fire" from BER. So I do a Cease fire. The AI didnt do one. We battled all the way through to the end at Turn 20. I still beat the AI.

But what BER did do was add an element of not knowing when the battle would end. Which really does make it far more interesting.

:D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TeAcH:

And now that the BER is out, feel free to let us know your comments and ideas. We may try to implement that aforementioned bell curve request (as an option) where the game is more likely to end closer to the game length (see above post). We will see. We want to get the secure mode finished first though smile.gif

Take care,

TeAcH<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about allowing me to open the application with a .ber file (by doubleclicking), and thus opening the game file. I tried doing a file association, but it only opened the program, not the game file. This would be very handy. I could keep the game file with my pbem files. The same goes for drag-and-drop, though that is less useful - it may be the same implementation issue however.

And the bell-shaped curve would be nice. It may be simpler to just implement a triangular density - linear on both sides with the same slope.

Thanks for the work so far smile.gif

Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

[QB]

How about allowing me to open the application with a .ber file...

The same goes for drag-and-drop...

I wrote a little code to support both of these actions (associations and drag/drop) and I'll get them in the next release to the web, which will probably be in a day or so. I'll also get the setup done right, using InstallShield, so the error messages people are getting in setup will be gone.

- Brad

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

[QB]And the bell-shaped curve would be nice. It may be simpler to just implement a triangular density - linear on both sides with the same slope.QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beavis: Hey Butthead, what's he talking about?

Butthead: Uh...I dunno. Some mathmatics crap or something...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Beavis: Hey Butthead, what's he talking about?

Butthead: Uh...I dunno. Some mathmatics crap or something...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Crap? Give me a break! And it's statistics, not mathematics (though statistics do use mathematics to get things done).

The "bell shaped curve" is a normal density function. The mathematical formula for this one may be a bit hard to get hold of in some cases, though it is available in e.g. spreadsheets. Any other density function could be used, if it has roughly the same shape (symmetrical, highest at the center). The triangular one I'm talking about is just that - instead of the straight uniform density that has been used up to now.

As we're really talking about discrete stuff here, it's just a matter of allocating probabilities to the different possible turn outcomes. Piece of cake, in fact :D

For those of you using the BER, we just released our latest build, build 35. Hooray!

Build 35 adds file associations that allow you to open the BER by doubleclicking on the BER game file. We also corrected an install bug some of you were seeing and made a few minor fixes.

We are going to spend our time getting the secure mode added to the BER for those of you that want to use it in a game where you want to be sure everything is on the up and up.

Erase the old BER and get the new one today!!

Here's the new link:

http://www.badcoinc.com/download/bersetup.exe

Enjoy!

TeAcH

[ 05-27-2001: Message edited by: TeAcH ]

It's more work, but a friend of mine and myself have used the web site http://www.geocities.com/pbmcube/pbmdsvr.html

To create random die rolls to determine the end of the game. You can chose how many dice to roll and how many rolls. We usually pick a 2 sided die and decide on a turn range... say, 20 turns +- 3, at 17 we use the web site to roll the die. 1 the game continues, 2 we declare cease fire.

If someone would help come up with some kinda table to help me make my own, I'd creat a web based calculator and host it. I'd need some help to figure percentage chance at the first to last end game rolls. If you had 20 turns +-3, would turn 17 have the same 50% chance of ending as turn 22?

Let me know if someone wants to help with some numbers and I'd make the app and host it.

You would enter the number of turns

current turn number

+- turn variable

weighted or 50/50 chance for rolls.

your email and oponent's email

it would then email results to both of you.

It would be a fun exercise to try and give Mac users something to use without running any additional program than your browser.

Scott Karch

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

The "bell shaped curve" is a normal density function. The mathematical formula for this one may be a bit hard to get hold of in some cases, though it is available in e.g. spreadsheets.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't need the density function to generate a random variate, so it's easy to implement in any language that can generate an uniform variate.

Just a note to those interested, bradleyh and I planning on releasing our next version soon. This will include the secure mode feature for you to use during your games where you want to be sure that no cheating is taking place.

I would like to take a second though to elicit some feedback from those of you that have used the program. Let us hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks

TeAcH

is this, or will this end game randomizer be secure enough to be used in the proposed CAL tourney being set up by Treeburst 155?

And again it means MAC users can't use the end game randomizer in the tourney.

Just curious?

I hope yobobo at TH is working on a secure WEB based version of this concept.

-tom w