CM is to War gaming like (___?) is to war movies!??!

Monte: Argh, well I saw Thin Red Line and was fairly unimpressed. Perhaps I didn't really get into the character at all... *shrug*

And flashbacks make me itch. wink.gif

(Also, can someone PLEASE tell me why he was so STUPID at the end in that meadow? No more details in case someone DOES want to see the movie, just asking whoever watched it already)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 1950's film titled "Der Brucke" (sorry, no umlaut on my keyboard) which literally means The Bridge. A very moving, anti war movie with great close in fighting against Shermans. And if you had to fight as the German side against those odds in Combat Mission you would probably concede before starting. wink.gif

Regards

Jim R.

Guest Jock Abroad

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Monte99:

Great movie. But not a World War II movie.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes I know...couldn't help it...also couldn't help it with "Paths of Glory" either biggrin.gif

cheers!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 1950's film titled "Der Brucke" (sorry, no umlaut on my keyboard) which literally means The Bridge. A very moving, anti war movie with great close in fighting against Shermans. And if you had to fight as the German side against those odds in Combat Mission you would probably concede before starting. wink.gif

Regards

Jim R.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If i just had change to see that film again! smile.gif Der Brücke is just awesome. Stalingrad and Das Boot follow close behind. Winter War is not bad either.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 1950's film titled "Der Brucke" (sorry, no umlaut on my keyboard) which literally means The Bridge. A very moving, anti war movie with great close in fighting against Shermans. And if you had to fight as the German side against those odds in Combat Mission you would probably concede before starting. wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it is Die Brücke. Now write it 100 times. tongue.gif

I wonder, why my Volksturm squads never accomplish such feats? Oh yes, my opponents never hesitate to shoot infants. Swines!

Die Br? was indeed a great movie. ABTF was also great because one got tired of men screaming and dying all the time - witch is a very good point in a war movie.

SPR is a very realistic war movie but I would like to ask Hollywood and Spielberg why on earth they always has to put a terrible plot in their movies. Why does the German soldier they capture and then let go again have to shot Tom Hanks and stick a knife in one of the other heroes? I mean someone else could have shot them without ruining the movie. It's just crap if you ask me. What is the moral in that?

In a most certain order:

1) Lawrence of Arabia

2) Schindler's List

3) A Bridge Too Far

4) The Eagle Has Landed (extremely fictional, I know... but some of the best squad level fighting scenes in a war movie)

5) Steele Helmet

6) Patton

7) Saving Private Ryan ... the gest virtual war creation money can buy wrapped arround 40 minutes of silliness (ie. Why didn't they just blow the damn bridge??? It would have taken the Corp of Engineers all of 10 minutes to replece that dinky thing! And my favorite: the coward finally bags an unarmed German and NOW he is a man? :^)) ... Maybe it shouldn't be this high? It's really just a tech demo.

8) Thin Red Line ... if you are going to knock this movie because of the non-reality... well throw out all of the war movies. It's still a great movie.

My brain is feezing up... it's sad when you can think of a million war movies, but you can't pick out more than 8 for a best of list...

I am sure there are more, but the bad ones are getting in the way.

Battle of the Buldge???? God what an terrible movie. Who knew that a handful of guys stopped the Axis push by rolling flaming oil drums on approaching tanks???

What is this... Spartacus???

Joe

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

'The Train'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are referring to the one with Burt Lancaster, I totally agree. I didn't know what to expect before seeing it, but it was great - in a horrible way.

I would say CM is to other tactical war-games, what "Winter War" is to the Sven Hassel movie "Döden på larvfötter" (can't remember the English title...)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I/O Error:

(Also, can someone PLEASE tell me why he was so STUPID at the end in that meadow? No more details in case someone DOES want to see the movie, just asking whoever watched it already)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would also like to know. Perhaps it was something like "war is futile and senseless..."?

But I think Thin Red Line wasn't that bad. The fighting scenes are very well done.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Buhl:

SPR is a very realistic war movie but I would like to ask Hollywood and Spielberg why on earth they always has to put a terrible plot in their movies. Why does the German soldier they capture and then let go again have to shot Tom Hanks and stick a knife in one of the other heroes? I mean someone else could have shot them without ruining the movie. It's just crap if you ask me. What is the moral in that?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hang on, hang on... the guy who stuck the knife into one of the SPR "hero's" in that memorable hand to hand scene was different from the German prisoner they let escape surely. Although they looked similar, if memory serves me right the knife man seemed to represent the typical seasoned German veteran who wore a slightly different uniform (possibly Fallschirmjaeger?) compared with the "dastardly" Wehrmacht former prisoner in his feldgrau uniform. Anybody know for sure?

Regards

Jim R.

Hang on, hang on... the guy who stuck the knife into one of the SPR "hero's" in that memorable hand to hand scene was different from the German prisoner they let escape surely. Although they looked similar, if memory serves me right the knife man seemed to represent the typical seasoned German veteran who wore a slightly different uniform (possibly Fallschirmjaeger?) compared with the "dastardly" Wehrmacht former prisoner in his feldgrau uniform. Anybody know for sure?

Regards

Jim R.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the same guy... The uniform thing was confusing, but he is the same guy frown.gif

Ariel

Oooops... WW I... you're absolutely right.

And no, the guy in the knife fight was different then the prisoner (who IS the guy they let go after assaulting the HMG).

But that is the silliness that I mentioned... first they show guys killing Germans on the beach after the D-Day invasion and it's an atrocity. Then the heroes let a guy go under similar circumstances and they are shown to be (as a group) vituous.

Then the weeny coward shoots the guy anyway at the end after he kills Tom Hanks .... not fighting, but unarmed just like he was before... but now it's some kind of vituous act???

And what's the deal with letting the guy go anyway? The HMG shows clearly that they are in a VERY grey area when it comes to battle lines. Are they taking the German at his word that he wouldn't head back for HIS side?

They were being stupid.

Joe

If its not the same guy...when Upham (was that his name?) persuaded the other's to let him go, why did, what appears to be the same guy, walk straight past Upham (down the stairs) after the knife-fight in the house. My understanding was that he had recognised Upham as the guy who had helped him before?.

The later scene of Upham shooting him unarmed, was i think, supposed to be some sort of indication of how war can change even the most mild-mannered people, which Upham was portrayed as throughout the whole movie up to that point.

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

My vote goes to Battleground with Van Johnson. Although I haven't seen it in years, I remember it being very accurate and still the only WW2 film I've seen with an M1919A6? (the MMG introduced late in the war to make the M1919 more mobile by adding a butstock and bipod).

------------------

-====-

Hota

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Manx:

If its not the same guy...when Upham (was that his name?) persuaded the other's to let him go, why did, what appears to be the same guy, walk straight past Upham (down the stairs) after the knife-fight in the house. My understanding was that he had recognised Upham as the guy who had helped him before?....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The German doing the knife-killing is NOT the same as they let go earlier in the film.

Also look at his expression when passing Upham in the stairs. He sees Upham is no threat/coward/etc. As I see it he insults Upham in the worst possble way, by ignoring him.

Why did they let the guy go after the MG-nest? Well, executing him would most probably be counted as murder. They couldn't bring prisoners. So letting him go, hoping he would be caught by follow-on forces was perhaps the only realistic option.

And on the other hand: I see no problem with the German guy returning to his own lines. I mean, isn't a prisoner's first duty to try to escape, go back to his lines, continue fighting???

If Spielburg was trying to make the German guy look like the bad guy, and Upham redeeming himself by shooting an unarmed guy in the end, he (Spielburg) did a less than p*ss-poor job.

[This message has been edited by Stefan Fredriksson (edited 01-03-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Buhl:

Why does the German soldier they capture and then let go again have to shot Tom Hanks and stick a knife in one of the other heroes? I mean someone else could have shot them without ruining the movie. It's just crap if you ask me. What is the moral in that?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The German who was captured and released by Miller's men is NOT the one who stabbed one of them later. Two different Germans. Examine the scenes in question and it becomes clear.

[This message has been edited by Monte99 (edited 01-03-2001).]