CM is to War gaming like (___?) is to war movies!??!

(Also, can someone PLEASE tell me why he was so STUPID at the end in that meadow? No more details in case someone DOES want to see the movie, just asking whoever watched it already)

Seems to me he was leading the enemy away from his wounded buddy in the river and ended up surrounded in the meadow, not much he could do at that point. Not sure why so many japanese were following one man though. I personally liked The Thin Red Line because I had read the complete James Jones trilogy and liked all of the books. It was hardly a true adaptation of the book but still a excellent movie IMO.

Just curious, anyone seen the 1964 version of Thin Red Line? I have it on order but curious if anyone has already seen it. It's supposed to be a little truer to the novel.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The German who was captured and released by Miller's men is NOT the one who stabbed one of them later. Two different Germans. Examine the scenes in question and it becomes clear.

[This message has been edited by Monte99 (edited 01-03-2001).]

Back to the original question, I'd add my vote for Cross of Iron too. Another I always throw into discussions like this is the old classic fron the 50's - 'A Walk in the Sun' with Montgomery Clift - revolutionary for it's time it wasn't gung-ho, didn't have nasty treacherous Germans, just the story of a bunch of American kids on a routine patrol in Italy. And it was mentioned in a Clash song as well wink.gif.

------------------

His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of curiosity

Regarding the SPR debate:

The guy that they capture and release, and who winds up on the bridge later to shoot Tom Hanks's character is the same guy: "Steamboat Willie" in the credits, I believe. He's regular army/Heer/Wehrmacht.

The guy who wins the knife fight is an SS man, and he is much bigger than Willie. Check out the scene of him passing Upham on the stairs-- the guy is huge!

They just all look the same because of the crew cuts. Although, as I recall, the Germans allowed hair much longer than the US Army did.

------------------

Dar