A Bone Is Thrown!

Okay, folks, I am sure none of you were expecting a bone to be thrown since there was no begging and pleading. But, guess what?!...Here it comes!

For the two or three of you that are interested in Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin (CMBB), HomeLAN has posted a just-completed interview with a certain Steve Grammont (I don't know who he is, but he seems to know a lot about CMBB ;) ) and Madmatt (I know him and that's all I'm going to say ;) )! There is a lot of ground covered, so I'll hit some of the high points here to whet your appetites.

Steve and Matt (S&M, Hmmm... :eek: ) discuss the success of CMBO and the planned sequels. They also touch on the current state of the turn-based war game market.

If it's CMBB details you want, you've got it! S&M talk about several general features, such as the regions and timeframe of the fighting. The graphical improvements are discussed in great detail and "DOODADS" are revealed! To give an idea of what DOODADS are, here is a quote from the article: "When you see a platoon of T-34's prowling through a field with their lower hulls obscured by wheat stalks you know you are in for something special!"

An entire section is dedicated to gameplay improvements. All I have to say here is: "Build-Your-Own Factory!" :D

If that wasn't enough, S&M nail down most of the plans for the CMBB demo. Also, there is a hint about potential plans for retail sales of CMBB.

To top it all off, the current state of CMBB is covered in a section that mentions that "...the game code is about 95% complete...!"

If you'd like to read the entire article, swing on over to HomeLAN.

Enjoy! :D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad, maybe I'm buying it when it's finished...

Just kidding! :D

A W E S O M E !!!

Especially the line with the T-34s cruising through the wheatfields! And the factories! And ski units! And the new commands! And the more realistic Arty!

Did I already mention this is awesome?

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]</p>

SuperTed, you are a dude. Thanks for the heads up.

OK, now I think this might be an appropriate time to start our long list of unreasonable demands and start screaming and shouting until Steve comes in here to hose us down with some high pressure 2C water. I'll start.

Hey BTS, when are you going to start taking pre-orders for this fine piece of kit so that I don't have to wait to get my hands on it while I listen to all the Yankee dogs ooooh and ahhhh over the features? I think a 7 day head start on shipping to your most loyal Australian customers is only reasonable, don't you?

OK, barring that, how about releasing to us (in the strictest of confidence you understand) the date when we might just happen to be passing through Maine to collect a copy.

Steve?

Charles?

MadMatt?

{tap, tap tap} Is this thing on?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SuperTed:

An entire section is dedicated to gameplay improvements. All I have to say here is: "Build-Your-Own Factory!" <hr></blockquote>

Nifty. No more "run into the street to enter the adjacent Heavy Multi-Story Building tile" then?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>We have overhauled all the old commands, replaced some, and added all new ones including Shoot and Scoot, Seek Hull Down, Move to Contact, Assault, Advance and Human Wave and Cover Arc.<hr></blockquote>

Would "Shoot and Scoot" be some kind of Fast Hunt, or is it stop-shoot-move-stop-shoot-move all in one turn? Been anticipating the "Move to Contact" command (yay!), but what's the diff between Assault, Advance, and (*gulp*) Human Wave?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>These doodads will be found in many terrain types and what they are in effect are small textures that rise up from the ground, similar in approach to how we depict trees currently, although much shorter in height. These doodads give "volume" to terrain like wheat fields, add 3 dimensional bushes to brush terrain and little clumps of plants, flowers and shrubs to clear terrain. Rubble, rocky areas and even new terrain like cemeteries now have a new 3D feel to them that was never before possible.<hr></blockquote>

Would one of these new "doodads" include 3-D depictions of rubbled buildings? You know --- jagged walls, broken beams, collapsed roofs --- instead of the current, flat Rubble tile?

If you care about CMBB you MUST read this interview

At the risk of Copyright infringement:

http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=3747

Copyright © 2001 HomeLAN.com

in Steve and MadMatt's Words:

"The newest and most impressive graphical element is the introduction of terrain elements, or what

we have taken to calling them, DOODADS.

These doodads will be found in many terrain types and what they are in effect are small textures

that rise up from the ground, similar in approach to how we depict trees currently, although much

shorter in height. These doodads give "volume" to terrain like wheat fields, add 3 dimensional

bushes to brush terrain and little clumps of plants, flowers and shrubs to clear terrain. Rubble, rocky

areas and even new terrain like cemeteries now have a new 3D feel to them that was never before

possible. When you see a platoon of T-34's prowling through a field with their lower hulls obscured

by wheat stalks you know you are in for something special! "

Copyright © 2001 HomeLAN.com

It is wonderfull to get some solid news on CMBB; some of those feature sound superb!

But why, oh why are we getting this info. from a third party interview and not from BTS directly, through either their own web-site or from CMHQ, their "unofficial" mouthpiece.

The previous batch of "bone-thrown" info. started out as a post from a non-BTS member, on the CM forum, the contents of which were only later transcribed to CMHQ!

What gives here? Don,t the seven thousand plus fans and presumably past purchasers of CMBO (and most likely purchasers of CMBB)deserve to get the low-down before the "general" web public.

Wouldn't the time spent giving an interview be better spent bringing the Battlefront Combat Mission site up to date i.e. like actually mentioning the fact that CMBB is not only being developed but is "95%" complete? Or am I completely off-base in my thinking here.

Perhaps the next update will be on the back of a breakfast cereal pack :(

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

If you care about CMBB you MUST read this interview

At the risk of Copyright infringement:

http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=3747...

<hr></blockquote>

Tom,

Am I missing something here, or is that the same article I linked in the first post? :confused:

All,

Steve or Matt should be along to officially answer all your questions. Apparently, they actually sleep. tongue.gif In the meantime, I'll take a stab at it: yes, soon, no, no, no, yes, yes, the latter, medium careful-most careful-least careful, don't know, understood, yes, yes, no, interviews would probably not be done if nothing new was released, that's BTS' decision, yes and no, see answer about interviews being done, no. Remember, those are just my best guesses. smile.gif

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: SuperTed ]</p>

Guest Panzer Boxb

Great news.

When your hungry, who cares where the bone comes from? I might even start posting more.

Nahhhh.........

;)

-Mike Z.

I like the multi-build a building. Hopefull to make some real noise fighting in-house.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SuperTed:

Tom,

Am I missing something here, or is that the same article I linked in the first post? :confused:

All,

Steve or Matt should be along to officially answer all your questions. Apparently, they actually sleep. tongue.gif In the meantime, I'll take a stab at it: yes, soon, no, no, no, yes, yes, the latter, medium careful-most careful-least careful, don't know, understood, yes, yes, no, interviews would probably not be done if nothing new was released, that's BTS' decision, yes and no, see answer about interviews being done, no. Remember, those are just my best guesses. smile.gif

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: SuperTed ]<hr></blockquote>

Hi SuperTed

That is indeed the same article

I posted the link since I was quoting from it and want to reference the source of the quote.

Like everyone one else I was just trying to be sensitive to the fact that I was posting a quote from an article that had a © copyright on it, so I posted the link again.

Hope that's ok?

-tom w

mmmmmmm, doodads, yummmmmmy.

Mensch, I didn't know you were blind

I liked the part about using the cover arc command while moving your tank. Keeps the turret pointed in the direction you want while moving. Many times I've wished for that in CMBO. That's probably why all my armor dies a lot - or not, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.