Bill Paxton as patron saint of the Peng Challenge Thread

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We seem to have a few Olympians in the Jump to Conclusions event. And they have all the fine character of their hero, Juan Samaranch.

Game Updates

Marlow is, of course, an insignificant bit of pest who thinks CM has a scoring system to measure something he can call a "win". As a professional, I understand that the CM scoring system, such as it is, is nothing more than disinformation meant to confuse and mislead the unwary and stupid, of which Marlow is both. So he thinks he's winning, and we'll leave it at that for now. Draw your own conclusions.

Seanachai is trying to avoid crushing defeat at the Hands of the Law in "Move it or lose it". He's been trying to do it since turn one when I won the initial shoot-out by a large margin. He experssed surprise that my troops actually wanted to occupy the town with the flags, and were willing to kill for it. Ah, the life of the Bard must be rich when it so far departs from common sense and reality. I'm also torturing him each turn by reciting perverted versions of his treasure trove of folk ditties. He deserves it for what he does to us here.

Elvis is, I have discovered, the Dr. Mengele of the Army of Peng. He looks almost normal and talks softly (though recently dumbly on his ill-fated numerology crusade), but Elvis likes to perform cruel and sick experiments in the name of winning at CM, which he holds in such high regard that gameyness and hacking on un-numbered turns is all fair play to him. He eeked a "win" in or first match, but is now going to sure death in our second. "Come out and fight" he says. Justice will prevail in this one.

Peng reports in occasionally when he wants free counsel. It's a hell of a way to get free legal services, but it is very cheap and Pengian. I hope he's not too upset when he sees that he gets what he pays for. Hehe... Peng also complains that I don't give him enough targets to shoot off his big guns, so he shoots off his 155mm mouth instead. I'll win this one if it ever finishes.

Game Starts

Who would ever think the mere act of starting a CM game would become an Olympic event? Tis so, I discover.

Mr Spkr likes living in Texas and Oklahoma football. This must be a special hell that midwesterners enjoy when the heat finally gets them. Our game starts in a pre-set scenario where his AT team immediately pulls the trigger on a helpless tank in front of them. Spkr naturally thinks this bit of good fortune is somehow due to his tactical excellence. So he is declaring victory on the first turn and seeking my surrender. Unfortunately, he will soon learn that we don't count with special precinct methods used to win elections in Texas, so he must die painfully at the Hands of the Law. BTW, I have gained new respect for Mr. Spkr when he told me he has been in law school more years than than most lawyers spend practicing in a career. I think he considers it noble to contribute tuition to the Texas "school" system, such as it is.

I sent Aitken, an self-professed graphics "professional" a set-up of a great Franko scenario involving Michael Wittman. Imagine my surprise when he returns it saying his Lil Mac won't run it. Perhaps his insufficient computer resources explain the graphic crudeness of his "drawings" that he occasionally shares with us. Fortunately for him, my 4th grade child's drawings are not posted here to demonstrate how far Aitken needs to progress. So he asks for a game that is easier and small enough for his intellect and his "computer" line drawing box. So we are just starting to a game called "Jack and Jill Play Bang Bang War" so David can view properly in 16 colors at 256 x 120 resolution. The sad thing is he thinks he really is a graphics professional, and in Scotland he probably is.

Dalem has now taken up the slack by manfully accepting the Wittman scenario that Aitken rejected. Of course, Dalem has a real computer, so it should go well. His reward was to get blasted by approximately 56 tanks on turn one. But he got a few of mine too. Should be fun.

Leeo is trying to become civilized by playing me. Some of you may question his wisdom in seeking culture from a Washington Lawyer, but if you think about it, you will see that it is definitely a step up for Bubba Boy. Unfortunately, like Aitken, Leeo has difficulty understanding simple instructions like "send the file zipped so I can open it". Thus, the game is off to a slow start, but I shall win.

I must go to work now, which having been here, will actually be pleasing.

Piss off to you all, especially the wankers like Mr. Tinkles who spend their entire day twitting about the MBT.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Oh yeah, and on June 6th what do they celebrate? The Allied invasion of Normandy? Noooooo, they celebrate Swedish Flag Day!!! Oy vay.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Given that Sweden was a neutral country during WW2, why the Hell would they give a **** about D-Day? And, since I'm ranting on the subject, if the Allies had invade on July 4th, which event do you think we would celebrate. Feel free to go shopping for a clue

WHOLY GAMEYNESS BATMAN!

Right.. first off I just got news that Elvis the gamey bugger ruined a perfectly good scenario and basicaly screwed over Goanna in the blood match.

I am firstly anoyed such gameness exists... HE BLEW THE DAMN BRIDGE UP!!! For any of you who care here is the debriefing I wrote up for the two woodpeckers.. do you see anywhere in the briefing

"this bridge has no tactical importance please blow it up before the germans get here" comment?? no. it says in short the bridge is important, HOLD the BRIDGE not BLOW THE BRIDGE.

so much for someone who plays realisticaly. who's to blame.. well me I guess I first of all did not think someone would do that. so much for a enjoyable game, this stinks to me this runs up along Crew scouting or flag rushing with crews...

*shakes his head*

here is the briefing that was included in the bloodmatch i made... feh. jeezus Elvis next blood match I make is a nice fecking mountain for the other player and your on the poolboard end of the plains where he can shoot you up and drop stones on you.

spoilers? who cares the mission is ruined.

Name: Falaise Pocket Breakout.

Type: Attack

Time: August 17th, 1944 05:30

Conditions: Dawn, Overcast and Damp

Turns: 35

Falaise Pocket, the allies have the 7th Army "Hausser" and the 5th Panzer Army "Eberbach" in a noose which is growing tighter after the disaster of Operation "Lüttich,". British forces have managed to secure one of the main bridges over the River Orne that these two army groups need to use. Code named "Freiheit Brücke" or Freedom Bridge.

Elements from the 2nd British Army, 12th Corps have secured this Freedom Bridge and hope to at least hold this exit route in Allied hands, repeated attacks from external Army groups from the East have been going on for the last days. But due to clear skies the Allied Jabbos have been systematically rubbing out any real form of a Armoured push to open the door for their comrades.

Now with overcast skies the Germans have their chance to bring Armour and infantry that already escaped the pocket to once again go back and free their "Brothers"

NB. This mission was made for the Bloodmatch of Elvis and Goanna.

---Axis briefing---

-Situation-

Our 7th Army and 5th Panzer Army is cought in this damn Pocket! It looks grim and one of the exit routes for our armies is in British hands. This Bridge, Freiheit Brücke is important for our withdrall from the area, your troops are tired, exausted and brused but we need the bridge! We have managed to gather a small force of armour from the east to help on this mission. Ammunition is low due to lost Supply trucks and thus a Blitzkrieg is needed to take them out, we can't afford a drawn out fight. Some forces are still comming up to the battle but they are just a few minutes away.

-Mission-

Take the Freiheit Brücke as your main objective. If you can gain control of the Supply Depot on the other side of the Orne river it would be even better while it contains Medical and Food stocks. Be cautious because the British have control of both sides of the Bridge.

-Forces-

removed for FOW if they are bothering or more to say Goanna is continuing the game.

---Allied Briefing---

-Situation-

your 12th Corps have been holding the area for a few days, the Polish forces which held this area have moved south east to block the roads leading to this Bridge. It has been three days now of repeated attacks by probing forces your troops are tired but hold strong and have good moral.

Just now Armoured support is moving in with a relief Platoon.

We have had better weather and our Fly boys have been giving the Jerries a pounding on both sides of the pocket, but now with this overcast weather and Information from Arial photos it does appear the Jerries are massing a very large force with Armour support. Battalion strength or more. Hold fast!

-Mission-

You hold the Freedom Bridge as the Germans are calling it; you have held off repeated attacks by German forces from the east and your orders STILL stand and hold the bridge.

-Forces-

removed for FOW if they are bothering or more to say Goanna is continuing the game.

Feh... Lorak.. I thus call the order of knights to dub Elvis as Herr. Mr. Sir Gamey.

Feh.

Ladies and Gentlewyrms of the Pool,

Tis a sad, sad day in the history of the MBT. To remind you of the particulars, I challenged “Mr. Allies can’t win against an Assault” to a little dance on the field of glory.

Last night I was the recipient of the following e-mail:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Bad luck dude. Hey, that was a pretty stiff defense you had there. The

miracle M10 didn't hurt either. I can't BELIEVE he got my KING tiger from

800 yards before I ever fired a shot. THat is the first and last time I

ever get one of those pieces of CRAP.

Good game, now I must gloat.

Jason Barnes, a.k.a.

Panzer Leader<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imagine my consternation at receiving such a message. I rushed to open the file and what do I find? The AAR by the numbers then.

Axis

204 casualties

5 vehicles knocked out

75 men OK

44 score

Allies

111 casualties

9 captured

1 gun knocked out

1 vehicle knocked out

64 men OK

56 score

Allied Minor Victory

That’s right folks, Mouse lost. I suffered through such gamey tactics as crew and artillery observer rushes (which I was informed weren’t gamey unless they happen at the end of the battle) and hordes of SMG squads. Please also take note of the presence of a Kingtiger. At the end Mouse held two flags with a lone crew while I held one flag with a reinforced platoon.

The poor lad had his ass handed to him and didn’t even know it. Next time check the AAR first.

Seanachai, your Squire is broken, please fix or do somfink!

Lorak, please scribe thusly’

Lars – Victorious and enjoying his Bourbon.

Mouse – Ignoble Defeat and crying in his Shirley Temple.

p.s. Good Luck von shrad, pinch a few nurses, you’ll feel better.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Lawnmower wrote:

So we are just starting to a game called "Jack and Jill Play Bang Bang War" so David can view properly in 16 colors at 256 x 120 resolution.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shut up and concentrate. Right, you're Germans so you can have... teddy and Action Man, and the mechanical digger. I'm Canadians so I take the fire engine, Barbie, and the inflatable rabbit. Ammunition reserves are twenty marbles each... no you can't have the cool glass ones with the colourful wispy bits inside, those are mine!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

[QBDalem has vanished. I suspect his men are building a scaffold to hang him from after his initial abortive attack.

[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're cross-frequencing the rebobulator coils in our comm badges so we can make personal deflector shields to protect us from your CANADIAN DEATH RAYS, you Tech Pirate!!!

"Freedom Bridge" still stands. I just mailed off turn 2 and the bridge still stands. If the good lizard does not want me to blow it then he better get moving fast to stop me. Since everyone else saw fit to break FOW I guess I will a little. Turn 1 had one large gun firing on the bridge with area fire. Turn 2 had 2 large guns firing area fire at mid turn one of the guns switched to a jucier target. Guns are very easy to knock out folks. I hope that Mr. Lizardo has not thrown in towel and decided because I spent a couple turns shooting at the bridge and messing up his original plan that he has no way or chance to stop me. I think the problem is that stopping me will come with a price..and that is exposing his units sooner than he wants to. So there is the predicament I have placed him in....expose himself quickly to try to stop me or let me blow the bridge go down without a fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> We have had better weather and our Fly boys have been giving the Jerries a pounding on both sides of the pocket, but now with this overcast weather and Information from Arial photos it does appear the Jerries are massing a very large force with Armour support. Battalion strength or more. Hold fast!

-Mission-

You hold the Freedom Bridge as the Germans are calling it; you have held off repeated attacks by German forces from the east and your orders STILL stand and hold the bridge.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read that as DO NOT LET THE GERMANS GET THE BRIDGE. I did not read that as the bridge must stand.

I have other reasons for blowing it but I don't have Seanachi kinda time to sit and type them all at this time.

Gamey?....perhaps.

Lars, I woulda won if the AI hadn't auto-surrendered! It was a cheat, I tell ya! I was the best, I was king of the world! The last turn shows his broken and earth-hugging troops surrounded on ALL sides by my advancing troops.

And another thing: I had one platoon of tank riding SMG troops, the rest were standard heer.

On the other hand [semi-serious] I have to congratulate you on a victory I thought was imposible. You have disproven my theory about Allied defenders. And while my assault wasn't stellar, it was straight-forward and standard, the type I would expect an average attack to go, and you had me at every turn.

Good work, [/semi-serious] you useless waste of human flesh. Instruct your master to give you an extra half-helping of borscht at tonights meal. I'll buy.

Take note, pooligans: My opinion has officially changed. It is possible to win against the assault, even as the Allies. It doesn't even take brains to do it, just an unflagging Swedish spirit, you know the kind -- it refuses to leave WELL AFTER everyone else has gone home.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dale Evans:

Actually, Pilgrim, I think you misread the probabilities a little in the first place. 545m is what, 14 hexes in ASL? At 14 hexes, an unbuttoned StuGIIIG would start with a base 8 To Hit#, +1 for L gun = 9, -2 for Moving Target = 7, +1 for the M4 being a Large Target = 8 maybe another -2 for Target < two MF in LOS, brings you down to a 6 or less on two dice To Hit. That's about a 14% chance To Hit, even in stodgy aulde ASL "each roll represents multiple shots" terms. The M4 firing back and scoring as Bounding Fire is a little more spectacular in ASL terms, but not much more.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ASL Grog! Stone him!

Well, if this isn't the final insult. "Missing in action", indeed! Bah, feh, balderdash, horsefeathers, codswallop and turtle crap. When I began my long absence (or, I might say, respite) from the 'Pool I always said that I would make my return when I could write something appropriate to my, to my, err ... your idiom, sir? ... yes, thank you Meeks. As I was saying, I wanted something appropriate to my idiom. And as you all know, a truly 'Pool-worthy piece takes time and care (unlike the endless bloviations of, say, Seanachai). Now Lorak's gone and bollocksed it all up by publishing his ridiculous MIA list. I am forced to re-submerge myself in the foetid, noisome waters of the 'Pool and once more hearken to the demented chitterings of its squamous denizens. Still, I am what I am, and I refuse to re-enter the MBT with anything less than a post of the first quality, so here I go:

A bamboo grove by a meandering stream. In the foreground, a rickety bamboo bridge; in the background a rickety bamboo hut. A scholar sits in the grove in deepest meditation. In an act of utmost unconscious graceful perfection he reaches down to scratch his nether areas. He heaves a sigh as he perceives a gaggle of mandarins, courtiers and lackeys approaching over the rickety bamboo bridge; they pause at the highest point. A senior lackey, Jo Sha, detaches himself from the group and cautiously approaches the scholar.

Jo Sha: (prostrating himself and banging his head on the ground three times) Oh, esteemed one, we have come to make obeisance in your presence and beseech you to return to the 'Pool. See all the most senior notables of the Mutha Beautiful Thread have come to pay their respects. There, standing upon the bridge are Sha Na Chi, Ber Li, Jay Di, Gai Er, Ay Ken, Er Bisu, Lo Lak and many others. They all beg you to illuminate once more the waters of the 'Pool with the radiance of your wisdom.

The scholar rises lithely as a praying mantis. With consummate grace he pulls the folds of his robe from the crack in his posterior. He glances down at the prostrate Jo Sha, then toward the crowd on the bridge. They hold their breaths in anticipation of the answer.

Hakko Ichiu (for it is he): Arise, Jo Sha, and walk with me.

They proceed toward the bank of the stream

Do you see that turtle there in the stream? Would it be happier with its bottom in the stream, or in a gilded cage at the Imperial Court?

Jo Sha: Well, err, at the Imperial Court it would have lots of lovely, crunchy lettuce and all the female turtles it could roger.

Hakko Ichiu: Ooh, good answer. I see your point, but still, there is one thing I must do.

Out of folds of his robe he produces the flamethrower Green Fecking Destiny. Leaping high into the air, he fires it at the base of the rickety bamboo bridge, which proceeds to collapse, tossing the assembled mandarins, courtiers, and lackeys into the water. Weighed down by their robes and leather undergarments, they thrash impotently about in the water and drag each other down. Soon none is left above the surface. Hakko Ichiu puts away the flamethrower, a smile of satisfaction on his face.

Jo Sha: Well now you've gone and done it. There'll be no one left in the 'Pool, except maybe Lawyer, who was too busy oppressing the productive sector to make the trip.

Hakko Ichiu: Pish tush. Put your mind at rest, Jo Sha. A little water never hurt a denizen of the 'Pool. They'll all wash up eventually, although I shudder to think of the costs of environmental remediation.

Jo Sha: That's as may be, but the bridge has collapsed, and there's no way to get across the stream. What do you say to that, smarty pants?

Hakko Ichiu: (thinks for a moment, then gestures to the rickety bamboo hut) Do you want to go back to my place?

Jo Sha: I thought you'd never ask.

Fade to black

----

A tad derivative, wouldn't you say, sir?

I know, Meeks, but it's awfully difficult to end these things. Maybe I should try something a bit more contemporary next time?

Very good, sir. As you say, next time.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mouse:

Lars, I woulda won if the AI hadn't auto-surrendered! It was a cheat, I tell ya! I was the best, I was king of the world! The last turn shows his broken and earth-hugging troops surrounded on ALL sides by my advancing troops.

And another thing: I had one platoon of tank riding SMG troops, the rest were standard heer.

On the other hand [semi-serious] I have to congratulate you on a victory I thought was imposible. You have disproven my theory about Allied defenders. And while my assault wasn't stellar, it was straight-forward and standard, the type I would expect an average attack to go, and you had me at every turn.

Good work, [/semi-serious] you useless waste of human flesh. Instruct your master to give you an extra half-helping of borscht at tonights meal. I'll buy.

Take note, pooligans: My opinion has officially changed. It is possible to win against the assault, even as the Allies. It doesn't even take brains to do it, just an unflagging Swedish spirit, you know the kind -- it refuses to leave WELL AFTER everyone else has gone home.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excuse me, I was surrounded? A fighting retreat, with plenty of space traded for time, but that last flag was MINE. The only troops you may have surrounded was the platoon in my secondary line of defense. If you want to call being overrun by arty observers, crews, company headquarters and squad remnants surrounded, so be it.

I retract the SMG accusation though, I only checked the living, not the piles of dead.

BTW I’m Danish, dammit. Check the spelling of the last name. Larsen=Danish. Larson=Swedish. Your genealogy lesson for the day.

If you persist in calling me Swedish I will have no choice but to demand satisfaction.

Now I’m off to celebrate Swedish Flag Day. Why the hell not? Any excuse for a drink will do, might as well get a early start.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

PBEM Report

I was just about to put a stop to Leeo's advance in rune's Wide Front when he started claiming that his e-mails are being returned. Leeo, I sent you an e-mail yesterday, let me know if you didn't get it and I shall knock some heads together at my ISP.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did get an e-mail from you, and sent a reply. I included the tawdry details of the router trouble that my ISP provided to me, and sent to your ISP. The problem seems to be with a router close to your end of things. Obviously, if they didn't fix it, you won't get the e-mail with the details. Unfortunately, the e-mail doesn't come back to me until it has languished in the Isles of Bad Food for at least 5 days. Perhaps I could post the gory, technical details this evening for you on the General forum, so that you may then smite your ISP with the facts? I am anxious to continue your drubbing, as it is fun to cross a river, and then to kill your little British men.

Lorak, O' Scribe:

I beat Shandorf using gamey tactics.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bastard. Probably setup an assault and just didn't buy the total allotment.

How one can afford as many INF as he did and all the armor. Hmmm... Makes one wonder. Next battle I make the setup.

We will play again you little snot nose raggamuffin, and next time I will be aware of your gamey smell and play. Phzzzzt.

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Well blow me...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

David,

I must protest. We don't condone that sort of behavior here. Please head out into the main board if you wish to satisfy your carnal pleasures. Or I suppose you could just e-mail Bauhaus.

Jeff

In a way this is more of a slap to Shandorf than me, since lars (no more capitalization) WON AS ALLIED DEFENDING AGAINST ASSAULT!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This only proves you were lucky against me and that you generally suck.

Suckitude and you go tgether like paper and glue. Phffffpt!

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elvis:

I read that as DO NOT LET THE GERMANS GET THE BRIDGE. I did not read that as the bridge must stand.

I have other reasons for blowing it but I don't have Seanachi kinda time to sit and type them all at this time.

Gamey?....perhaps.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[serious mode]

what ever... *rolls eyes* if Goanna wants to continue thats his call...

If you wanted me to "design a game" then ask.. I can. If you want a "gamey game" designed say so.. I would have made a ****ing billard board for you both to shoot at each other and not bothered spending a a day and a fecking half making something and typing up some **** you were not gonna read or take seriously.

sorry my boy had you been the commander I would have you shot. HOLD THE BRIDGE.. no secondary sentence of blow the fecking thing up if the may seem to have it.. or opposite retreat if they almost have it.. no.. it says stand fast and hold.

The art of roleplaying my lad.. have you heard of it? no.. pitty.

*walks away disapointed*

[/serious mode]

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: mensch ]

Hi,

I thought I'd just abuse your gracious

hospitality one more time by saying

that I am hosting an IP game right now.

It's a scenario, 15 turns, by some

CessPool type person (did it ever occur

to y'all that the initials CP also

stand for Cerebral Palsey? very apt)

It's called 'Can't stop now' by Mr.

D. Aitken. I'd like to try it double

blind. I've taken the Germans, so you

get the fun side. If you haven't played

it, and would like a quick, brutal game:

Or go to the opp. finder for more info.

Sorry, sorry...By the way, my wife read

some of this thread and thought you

were the biggest bunch of nerds she

ever saw. Well, very few women seem to

really understand the allure of CM. It

seems to remind them of sweat and farts.

I don't know why...

--Rett

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Okay, since it IS about time, I propose we use the next thread to shove a stick in the eyes of the grogs --

"My MG's Can't Run Fast Enough for the Peng Challenge"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, I would just like to state that you are an idiot. Your post, however, does prove the 1,000 monkey theory