Biggest flaw in INITIAL release...

I don't know how the rest of you fared, but I must admit that I was a little bit dissapointed when I recieved my copy of the game and found it in a paper slip. Perhaps some of you got your game in a jewel case, but I was a bit miffed when I didn't. I fully realize that this was to keep the cost down, and I have no problem with it. Anyways, to rectify the situation I created my own CD case layout. I REALLY like it, maybe because it's my own work, but I think it really helps for this game to have it's own jewel case and CD insert. It's great, with Big Time logo's, the CMBO startup screen, and the flags from every participating nation on the front, inside front, and back covers. The only problem, I saved it as a .clf (CD layout file) in my Adaptec Easy CD creator. I'd like to submit the file to CMHQ, but I don't know how, or if I can convert the file to a more widely accessible format. If any one knows how, or has Adaptec Easy CD creator and would like the file, e-mail me.

-Jimbo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I was a little bit dissapointed when I recieved my copy of the game and found it in a paper slip.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, me too a little bit. However, I'd ordered from Battlefront before, so I knew what to expect. That, plus the policies of other game companies had led me to have spare CD cases on-hand: only $1 or so each - no biggie. But, I know where you're coming from.

It's certainly possible to hand-letter a CM CD-holder, but a printed cover/CD-case would add a certain, welcome, "classy" aspect (though secondary compared to manuals). I'm just happy that the actual content on the CM CD outstrips the content of most "fluff" CD's.

Wendell

Guest *Captain Foobar*

My cd case is my CD-ROM. It hasnt left there for the last 3 weeks. (And I was really pissed to have to take it out then, too)

Guest Big Time Software

Yeah, we didn't include a jewel case for several reasons, most of which are cost related:

1. Cost of case and insert is A LOT more than a paper sleeve.

2. Cost of storage of jewel cases is A LOT more than a paper sleeve.

3. Cost of assembly of a unit of CM is a LOT more than a paper sleeve.

4. Cost of packaging materials can, in some cases, be more expensive.

#4 ties into another problem. Since the jewel case would not be protected by a large quantity of packaging (i.e. a box within a box packed in "peanuts") the chances of the case getting to the customer in perfect condition is pretty low. Heck, we have had CDs arrived shattered! Have you ever tried to shatter a CD ROM?!? smile.gif So picture how many complaints we would get from folks with brutalized jewel cases. I'd rather not, since I have to deal with these problems personally wink.gif

Steve

P.S. Jimbo, good work making up your own insert! I am sure that one of the many CM sites would be happy to post it for you.

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 09-02-2000).]

Now now, folks He didn't say the "n" word or mention hamsters smile.gif So let's not call in op fire right off the bat, I have no idea how to convert the file friend but post it with MadMatt or somebody so folks can take a crack at it. Like most have pointed out, jewel cases are easily had. (I usually transfer some POS I bought to the sleeve while the new game moves up in the world, thank you Derek Smart for teaching that concept to me) biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif So I have the case, somebody help him figure out the cover So I can vulch that cool.gif

------------------

Pzvg

"Murphy's law of combat #10, never forget your weapon is made by the lowest bidder

I have a $2500.00 Jewel Case. My CD only leaves the CPU when I need to change it to download addition scenarios to save them permantely in CD format.

Special instructions to family members to remeber to please put CD back into hard drive

after they are done using the drive posted on my 21" monitor bought especially for game.

Yes packaging is nice, but the game is what counts! Imagine, you get free updates! How many companies tweak games only for new version that costs more dollars. BTS keep up the good work! wink.gif

P.S. I would like to see a screensaver theme for Combat Mission's next update!

------------------

"Victory smiles upon those who anticipate the changes in the character of war, not upon those who wait to adapt themselves after they occur."

General Guilio Douhet

[This message has been edited by GonzoAttacker (edited 09-02-2000).]

Yah who takes their CD out anyways smile.gif

Actually I heard that the cost of manufacturing the jewel cases is significantly more than the CD itself. Moving parts and all.

------------------

As the victors define history, so does the majority define sanity...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Basebal351:

I don't know how the rest of you fared, but I must admit that I was a little bit dissapointed when I recieved my copy of the game and found it in a paper slip.

-Jimbo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The whining never ceases does it?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phoenix:

The whining never ceases does it?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I wasn't whining at all. I've been completely taken by this game, it's the greatest. And I too never take my CD out of the PC. But what you all have to come to terms with is the fact that one day; a momentous, and proud day, your new copies of CM2 will come in the mail. What are you going to do then? Buy a second CD drive? I was just thinking about the preservation of this classic game, is all. smile.gif

p.s. Did that smilie thing work? Oh, and how do you all post pictures in your messages?

Oh, and one more thing. Someone e-mailed me and said they did have Adaptec Easy CD creator, and they wanted the file. I mistakenly deleted the message and the (oops) e-mail address. Sorry. If you would be so kind as to send another message I will send you the file.

Thanks!

Its the game that counts, whatever it comes in, box or no box, fancy crap or not who cares. Diablo II Fancy crap , game sucks my balls.

CM brown envelope basic book and cd, game rocks the house.

------------------

Lo there do i see my father, Lo there do i see my Mother,and my sisters and my brothers,

Lo there do i see the line of my people back to the beginning,

Thou they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever....

You know what...speaking of that...maybe this is an idea. I turned a friend on to CM and he had the same reaction when he recieved it...no CD inside. It's true, we are used to getting jewel cases with our games. I had to warn him specifically when he ordered it. Here's the idea...put a piece of paper with "CD INSIDE" on it and include it on the outside of the book. Or... easier and cheaper (but perhaps less effective), warn people when they get their confirmation email that there is no jewel case, that the CD is in the book.

DeanCo--

[This message has been edited by deanco (edited 09-03-2000).]