Update on TCP/IP patch

Guest Big Time Software

Pak40 wrote:

Since the who purpose of a drinking game is to get drunk,

Oh no. The whole purpose of a drinking game is to get pleasantly drunk while your opponent ends up in such a bad condition that you can convince him to pay for all drinks and embarasses himself so badly that you can laugh at him for months.

- Tommi (who is too sensible to participate in those kinds of games but has witnessed them often enough)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee said,

Steve, will tcp/ip feature an audible message to let you know your

opponent's turn is done? Let's say you get your orders done very fast,

but the other player has a lot more going on and needs the full time

limit to issue orders. You may want to go get a sandwhich while you wait.

If there was a sound alert that let you know the other player had finished

his turn (he just hit the "GO" button), you could safely leave the

computer and turn the sound up a bit, knowing you'll hear the instant

he's done and can get back to your PC fast. I think this is a really

important feature when your playing a "live" strategy game. It's not like

playing a FPS where you have to constantly be there to play. There will

be plenty of times when you can step away from CM for a few

spare minutes and during those times it will be necessary to have an audio

warning you can hear from far away from the PC (obviously, you would

adjust the volume on your speakers to suit the situation), so you know

when all orders have been completed for that turn and you can hurry back

to the computer.

---------------

Brilliant idea, Lee. I second the motion.

DeanCo--

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lee:

Steve, will tcp/ip feature an audible message to let you know your

opponent's turn is done? Let's say you get your orders done very fast,

but the other player has a lot more going on and needs the full time

limit to issue orders. You may want to go get a sandwhich while you wait.

If there was a sound alert that let you know the other player had finished

his turn (he just hit the "GO" button), you could safely leave the

computer and turn the sound up a bit, knowing you'll hear the instant

he's done and can get back to your PC fast. I think this is a really

important feature when your playing a "live" strategy game. It's not like

playing a FPS where you have to constantly be there to play. There will

be plenty of times when you can step away from CM for a few

spare minutes and during those times it will be necessary to have an audio

warning you can hear from far away from the PC (obviously, you would

adjust the volume on your speakers to suit the situation), so you know

when all orders have been completed for that turn and you can hurry back

to the computer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great Question and Even Better Suggestion.

I hope one of you beta testors checks this out over the weekend.

What we want to know is what happens when one player finishes his turn and hits go?

If both players finish the turn early do they BOTH have to wait the full time duration? (say the remainder of the 10 mins?)

If one player hits go before the other player what happens when the second player hits go before the time limit?

What if one player is not finished plotting the new move and the timer expires? smile.gif Can't wait to see that one! ha ha ha....

The addition of some form of (preferably user configurable) audio tone or warning to let you know the turn "crunch" is underway prior to your first "free" one minute of the movie being played would be VERY welcome.

Thanks smile.gif

You know we all just Can't wait for head to head live TCP/IP combat

(Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol correct?)

-tom w

Question regarding the timer settings:

Is the timer duration "locked" once the game is started? In otherwords, say I start a game with the timer set at 5 minutes. After a few turns both my opponent and myself decide this is too long and we could play faster, can we reset it to 2 minutes?

------------------

...This is Romeo-Foxtrot, shall we dance?...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frenchy:

I hope the phone companies can handle the heavy traffic when this bad boy comes out!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It can't really be ANY worse than the MILLIONS online that play, Quake or Doom or Myth or Age of Empires or Warcraft or Diablo (there's a BIG one) or Unreal Tournement or Marathon Infinity.

Really we are small pototoes compared to those games in the MAJOR leagues!

Fret not for the Phone companies they'll just charge more and make more profit.

-tom w

Wow, How did I miss this for so long??

This sounds great! I think so far a lot of people have made a bunch of suggestions that sound really good. I especially like the one where you can put time limits of over 10 minutes. That I can see happening in a very large game.

Has anyone tried to play a 5000 point game?? Good lord! I couldn't imagine being able to get all my orders done in 10 minutes let alone 20. Being able to set it to a range from 1 to 99 would be great I think.

Also the audible cue for when you can play your movie is good idea.

Ahhhh.. finally my roomie and I can play CM uninterrupted. wink.gif

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lee:

I would also like to voice my strong support for longer time limit

options. If I'm in a large battle with an opponent, it can easily

take me 10 minutes to just watch all the different fire fights that are

going on all over the battlefield, so I know what is going on. I would like

to see either a timer where the players can pick whatever time limit

they want (0-99) or at least a lot more options than were listed above.

15, 20, 25, and 30 minute options at least, it can be left to the players'

judgement to pick the time that best suits the current battle and

their individual tastes. smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I vote for a user configurable time limit as suggested above.

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Can I safely assume that if two players finish their orders phase under the time limit, that action will start immediately? No reason to wait the full 10, 15 or 20 minutes if both players are ready to go.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you can VERY safely assume this. We would be friggin idiots if we didn't make it work this way smile.gif

There will not be a variable timer. However, we are going to add a few more timer options in 5 minute chunks. Probably up to 30 minutes.

Once you select the timer option it is set for the rest of the game. Sorry, but this is not going to change. People will get a feel for how long they should set the timer for after playing for a while.

At the moment there is no sound when the other player finishes his turn. However, very noticable text appears at the top of the screen, and stays there, telling the player that the other person is done. I will suggest to Charles that he put in a sound though, as this is a good idea.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Once you select the timer option it is set for the rest of the game. Sorry, but this is not going to change. People will get a feel for how long they should set the timer for after playing for a while<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for the quick reply smile.gif

------------------

...This is Romeo-Foxtrot, shall we dance?...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Yes, you can VERY safely assume this. We would be friggin idiots if we didn't make it work this way smile.gif

There will not be a variable timer. However, we are going to add a few more timer options in 5 minute chunks. Probably up to 30 minutes.

Once you select the timer option it is set for the rest of the game. Sorry, but this is not going to change. People will get a feel for how long they should set the timer for after playing for a while.

At the moment there is no sound when the other player finishes his turn. However, very noticable text appears at the top of the screen, and stays there, telling the player that the other person is done. I will suggest to Charles that he put in a sound though, as this is a good idea.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that was an entertaining Post

Thanks Steve

This line really cracked me up:

"Yes, you can VERY safely assume this. We would be friggin idiots if we didn't make it work this way smile.gif"

Fair enough! Thanks for the very prompt reply.

smile.gif

-tom w

Good stuff.

Request the following:

-- Time limits out to 30 minutes

-- Pause feature

-- Rune's idea for a sound notification, although hamsters should be in there somewhere.

I love you guys. I mean it, I really love you guys. Hey, where's everybody going?

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

First of all, many, many thanks for your continuing ability to amaze through your dilligence, attention to what players want, and sheer creative genius!

Now that's off my mind, may I ask about something that I can find no reference to thus far.

I would imagine that over the course of many games with many players, there will be a requirement to pause games played on TCP/IP due to external interruptions at one end or the other (telephone calls, pee breaks, women demanding attention, etc).

Is there to be any way to pause/save by mutual agreement, to pick things up later on, either in ten minutes, or perhaps the next evening?

------------------

I said ... Put the bunny down!

[This message has been edited by Cuchulainn (edited 11-03-2000).]

The sound cue can be whatever anyone wants it to be because I am sure it will be a wav file that we can edit as we want. I use the "Incoming!" wav file from CC1 as my e-mail notification, but I will probably switch it to the incoming CM turn notification, assuming there is one.

Guest Madmatt

There is a cool little Squawk sound that plays when anyone throws out a chat message in the game.

The cool thing about all this is that if Charles adds another sound to indicate both players are done it WILL be a normal (modable!) wave file which we could make into anything we want!

So yeah, Rune is right, it COULD be me yelling to get your butt back and play, if you want it to be.. biggrin.gif

Tiger, if one person loses connection it tells you this and you can pick up from where you left off using using a newly created autosave file. It also tells you this too. wink.gif

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-03-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Timer settings will be increased to at leat 30 minutes. So in addition to the sub 10 minute options we will have 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 minute timer options.

The Pause thing... I think we do in fact need it. Hopefully this won't be hard to code. My suggestion is that both players must select Pause to envoke it, both to remove it. During the Pause time neither player will be able to do anything so as to not give some sort of advantage to the guy not running to get the beer smile.gif

Steve