While we wait: Ok,so where did YOU find out about CM?

I first read about "Beyond Squadleader" (?) in PC Review magazine a few years ago (IIRC) and then saw a notice about CM on Computer Games Online in November-99 (ok, so I'm a newbie, sue me! tongue.gif)

I have of course been hooked (gutted, cleaned and sold) since!

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason "why", our's is but to do and die!

I think I followed a link from "the grognard", I was looking for squad leader stuff.

I remember when I could check in weekly to see if there were any new posts... it sure has turned into a time sink since then smile.gif

Guest Kettle Black

I first found out about CM (apart from general hearsay about Computer Squad Leader some years ago) from Rookie and Bullethead at the Delphi Flight Sim forum about 2-3 months ago. A few of us regular members there has started disussing it there as well. Now this guy called Fionn has popped in as well wink.gif

I use the name Geier over there.

Life is good, CM is better.

------------------

Kettle Black

"The End? With practically everyone still on their feet? Over my dead body!"

The Player, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead"

[This message has been edited by Kettle Black (edited 01-21-2000).]

I rember stumbling upon at the middle of last year smile.gif I was browsing at Cdmag, I came upon Scott Udell's preview. Needless to, the early Alpha GFX really intrigued me, being 3d and all (I was playing Close Combat 3 at that time biggrin.gif)

I remeber posting some messages about it at CC3 Centre forums wink.gif ANd the rest they say is history....

I haven't played CC3 since that fateful day I "preached" to Von Shrad at MSN ZONE of Combat Mission's features vs ASL wink.gif

[steve edited out some whacky CCJ HTML stuff that was messing up this thread smile.gif]

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

My HomePage -----> www.geocities.com/coolcolj/

Check out my Tweaked Textures for the CM Beta Demo! Oh Yeah - listen to my music too!

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 01-22-2000).]

GamesDomain has a really good page called 'Target Range' with all the upcoming strategy games. CM was listed there. I think I saw it for the first time over a year ago.

GD is, IMHO, by far the most serious games-site there is.

Sten

Guest Madmatt

Well this admission will probably incite a riot with all the old timers but I knew ZIP about CM until late October when Combatsim.com ran a little preview of it. Hehehe came pretty far REAL quick!!!

Madmatt out wink.gif

p.s. Just to add more salt to the wound, I only had a wait a few weeks for the demo as it was about to be released when I first starting reading this board!

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 01-21-2000).]

Found it looking for a computerized Squad Leader at Avilon Hill. Never had any help with that fascinating board version and I so very much wanted to see in on a computer. I was disappointed to have the first promise rolled into Close Combat. Then I watched as Computer Squad Leader was rolled into Combat Mission. Needless to say, it has NOT been a disappointment.

I would not mind seeing the old dream realized, if only for nostalgia. Not being the balistics and armor grognards that other are, I was particularly interested in the line of sight issues. I felt a computer could do far better justice to that than charts. As soldier's view of the battlefield reprsents so much of what he is capable of affecting or being affected by, I was anxious to see that better represented.

Now we are seeing so much more in CM being improved that it is mind boggling. Yeah, Yeah, I know it does not take much to boggle a small mind, but this incoming is landing mighty close and even the monitor image is affected!

I found the link to CM via USENET comp.sys.ibm.game.war-historical

I found this in November '99 while I was searching for information for TOAW. I was trying to provide my mother-in-law with a list of games to choose from when deciding on a Christmas present.

At that time, there was a lot of noise on the newsgroup about some new beta demo that was breaking new ground in the wargame genre.

I clicked the link to battlefront.com and was instantly sold after reading the manifesto. I've had great success ordering from small-time developers marketing their own wares in the past. They really pay attention to detail and shoot for top notch quality. (I actually *buy* shareware, gasp!) I'm also into hyper-realistic baseball computer games, like, Strat-o-matic. They've done a great job with their genre and it keeps getting better.

All in all, based on past experiences with small developers, I knew that I would not be disappointed. (And then, I downloaded the demo...yikes! I'm hooked!)

CM is way under-publicized for the greatness that it shows in the beta demo alone. But word of mouth from fans does hold a lot of stock for people with money to spend on the next great thing. I was hooked into RTS games for 2 years because a friend of mine wanted to play a LAN game of WarCraft I. Blizzard was quite small in those days...look at them now. In my opinion, Blizzard Entertainment still churns out quality products. (My interests have grown away from the RTS genre since that time--no flames please---unless they are from flame tanks in the gold demo...thanks.)

Keep talking the game up in public forums to show your support...people will come.

------------------

73 de kb9sog

Support Amateur Radio

http://www.arrl.org

Home page of the Amateur Radio Relay League.

Ask me about ham radio:

kb9sog@arrl.net

BJ Simpson

Saw mention of it ages ago when it was to be ASL on the computer, thought "this looks intersting ... " but never found out where or who was making it.

Then got very interested after Fionn/Moon's alpha battle AAR's started appearing on The Gamers Net smile.gif.

I’m like Boris, 2 years ago maybe more, looking through Avalon Hill Squad Leader stuff. When PanzerBlitz came out I thought that was just the ultimate game and it couldn’t get any better. Then Squad Leader came out. Ah, I thought, if only they could do this on the computer. Well, it’s been awhile, but I believe it’s almost here.

As CCJ mentioned, he was the one who told me about it. Then I saw the Alpha battle and was swept away.It wasnt until about a week ago that I realized CCJ was the one who turned me on to the game.

Elvis, you may think that your post dont contain much power,but,your game tactics do. (Hes giving me a spanking in our Reisburg PBEM game!!!)You are making me look silly. Send that damn E to me so we can finish this humiliation.

I remember the announcements from BTS and AH a couple years ago. But I lost track of it after the split with AH.

Then in c.s.i.p.g.w-h Old Salt went crazy (well... crazier) about the game when the demo cme out so I came to see what would divert him from spam fighting. Been addicted like a rat on crack ever since.

Guest teutonic

I found a link when I was getting some info for Achtung spitfire. Been hooked since. I maybe playing more of this than Eversmack smile.gif

Does anyone remember a game where it was real time and you could jump into say a tank or infantry person on the battlefield while the rest of the battle was raging?

------------------

________

Teutonic

________