Axis or Allies Poll

I'm still kind of new to the game but I wanted to do a poll. Which do you prefer to play Allies or Axis?

If Allies - which country, if any, do you like better?

And also important - a quick statement as to why you like your side better?

Thanks all

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Allies, and free french when possible wink.gif

Ah well perhaps that's because I am French

Do you know any country which has a national anthem calling people to arms and slaughter biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Aux armes citoyens, formez vos bataillons...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well why the allies, well also by gallic nature, it is more challenging to roam the battlefield with a puny sherman than with an überpanzer (ie H39 off course smile.gif)

------------------

Nicolas

http://perso.infonie.fr/nicolas.counio/combat_mission1.html

"Deux intellectuels assis vont moins loin qu'une brute qui marche"

Un Taxi Pour Tobrouk

My initial feeling was toward the Germans. As stated above, their "toys" are cooler, plus they lost (playing the side that won and winning is less "impressive" than playing the side that lost and winning smile.gif). Also, I have lots more WW II German books than Allied...

However, my initial PBEM opponent lives in Germany and thus has preferred to play the German side in our three games. Our first one had me as the British, and though I won, I wasn't comfortable with the "weird" equipment (my learning about WW II was in an American-centric environment after all smile.gif). In our second battle, my Americans did quite well. Our third is an early US tank vs. German tank battle, confirming my worst fears about US armor (but I'm making a rally, though it may be short-lived).

So, I must confess that the Americans have really grown on me, and I now generally prefer them (though the Germans are a close second). Though their armor is poor (at least early on), their large squad size is a plus. I'm also more familiar with their equipment than the British/French, and there is a certain built-in identification when commanding one's actual nationality.

[This message has been edited by WendellM (edited 08-17-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JediJobu:

I'm still kind of new to the game but I wanted to do a poll. Which do you prefer to play Allies or Axis?

If Allies - which country, if any, do you like better?

And also important - a quick statement as to why you like your side better?

Thanks all<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer Germans: not only because the Dark Side thing, but mainly because I prefer their weapons (ah those wonderful JagdPanzer !) and they are generally outnumbered - The Alamo syndrom...

But I alsi have a fondness for those gallant British & Polish airborne, which must confront Tigers armed only with those ridiculous (back)Gammon bombs wink.gif and some PIATs...Arnhem memories...

------------------

PDF

Always been playing Axis. Flight sim's, boardgames, computer games, the works. Always been on the Axis side. Dunno really. Someone mentioned Star Wars and funny enough I always play the Dark Side there too... is this something for Freud?

Both, but I lean towards axis.

Maybe it's the underdog syndrome, or maybe it's the übertank syndrome. smile.gif

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JediJobu:

BTW, Chupacabra - are you from PR?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, the name? No, I'm a white boy from New York. As legends go, the Chupacabra's just about the funniest, though.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

I don't have a real preference for any specific side, but I sure do get a kick commanding the US, and my name as the commander of a squad, or a tank commander. I can't wait until I see Maj. Diaz leading an Infantry Battalion to victory.

Man I love this game

German mom and American dad, born in Germany but raised in the U.S. - I play either side. In general I prefer to play German but not so much that I don't play Allied.

When playing Allied I like the Americans for the variety of equipment and the obvious reason that I'm American. The British make a nice change of pace though. I usually don't play Canadian, French, or Polish but that's mainly because there are only so many hours in a day.

Ok, after 2.5 hours here's the tally..

Allies - 7 (3 US, 1 Fr, 2 Canadians and 1 (anyone)

Axis - 8

No Preference - 2

It is interesting to note that a lot of folks play certain nations for specific reasons (where born, military duty with certain unit, etc.) as opposed to just a reason withing the game itself. I'm not a shrink or anything, just an observation. Keep the POLL GoiNG!!!

"Help you I can, Yes, Uhmmmm..."

-Yoda in The Empire Strikes Back

Allies, Americans specifically.

Never really thought to wonder why probably when I was a kid getting into wargaming (lo those many years ago) I had an affinity to "my side" (I'm an American in case you didn't know) and now its probably a combination of habit, the fact that I'm more familiar with the equipment, and it's "my side". smile.gif

Cardinal Fang

Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition!

In my case in depends on the scenario. If IM defending I prefer to play as the Axis. If I do play as the Allies in the defense I mainly use US or British airborne troops. In the attack I prefer the United States mixed Army and Armor.

------------------

Semper Fi.