ot Most complex game of all time

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ASL went overboard on the rules. It was almost unplayable in my view. I tried it once and then sold everything I had of it. I then stuck with the original Squad Leader set.....ASL would have to top the list....

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

Airwar - I can't recall who made it, but I had it. It was incredibly complex. It modeled modern jet aircraft. A friend of mine and I spent some 10 hours one day trying to learn the basics of flying and shooting. When we finally got a dog fight going I ended up pulling a manuever where I lost like 8000 feet of altitude. The bummer was I was at 6000 feet when I did it. smile.gif

If I recall, AH's, Third Reich was a nightmare as well. Went through the rules once and gave up.

ASL is certainly one of the most complex board games I ever saw.

I used to play a space game called "Second Empire" that was akin to "Master of Orion". It was a like a RTS with counters, maps, pencils, and paper instead of a computer to keep track of everything. It was fun but boy was it sloooowww! The upside was it prepared you for the cpa exam.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phoenix:

Airwar - I can't recall who made it, but I had it. It was incredibly complex. It modeled modern jet aircraft. A friend of mine and I spent some 10 hours one day trying to learn the basics of flying and shooting. When we finally got a dog fight going I ended up pulling a manuever where I lost like 8000 feet of altitude. The bummer was I was at 6000 feet when I did it. smile.gif

If I recall, AH's, Third Reich was a nightmare as well. Went through the rules once and gave up.

ASL is certainly one of the most complex board games I ever saw. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think GDW (Game Designers Workshop) made it. Right now my copy is in a box in the closet, along with the Air-to-Ground version Air Strike.

In my opinion The Longest Day should be on the list it might not be the most complex game but it was the longest.

------------------

Navare

"I am determined to prove a villian..."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Navare:

In my opinion The Longest Day should be on the list it might not be the most complex game but it was the longest.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would certainly garner votes for 'Most Cumbersome'.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by the cube:

Three SPI titles; war in the pacific, war in europe, third world war.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are those the games with the "spiral galaxy " production charts like a BIG wheel where units move out to the edge and on to the map over time and turns?

Which Ever game had that whacky looking Spiral production chart on sort of yellowy/brown paper, was One complicated bitch to learn all the rules.

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 10-31-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Are those the games with the "spiral galaxy " production charts like a BIG wheel where units move out to the edge and on to the map over time and turns?

Which Ever game had that whacky looking Spiral production chart on sort of yellowy/brown paper, was One complicated bitch to learn all the rules.

-tom w<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that World in Flames?

ASL is probably the most complicated I have played. TWO phonebooks for rules! Then you get expansions with their own campaign rules, SSRs, "house" rules, tournament rules, 50+ maps...........

AHH! THE MADNESS!!! wink.gif

Edit: A buddy of mine just picked up the new D&D rules. He says lots has changed and it looks cooler than ever (in case anyone cares since D&D was mentioned in the original post)

------------------

Cats aren't clean, they're covered with cat spit.

[This message has been edited by IntelWeenie (edited 11-01-2000).]

This is starting to make me feel old, but to set the record straight...

Air War was originally published by SPI. For its time, it was the most complex game on the market. It took a long time to become comfortable with the rules, but it remains to this day my favorite boardgame. Gaming a dogfight takes many, many times longer than the actual event. The hardest problem is finding an opponent willing to suffer through the process of learning it.

Since those days, the complexity barrier has been stretched, and ASL is the product that broke the record and died with the hobby. I never got past the infantry rules (the first phonebook in the series), but playing only with infantry is a very enjoyable and intense experience. It is a much more realistic experience than the original Squad Leader, and I still recommend it. I love the tank counters, and someday I might open the second phonebook.

SFB is a close second place in complexity. This is a case where the original SFB (Captain's Edition) may be more fun than the expanded form. Creative people added myriad races and their weapons, but the flavor of the game is still pretty much intact using the original races. Those rules could be read or explained in a short afternoon! For me the game is difficult to enjoy because play balance is almost impossible among players of different ability.

LOL! There was a similar thread in SFC II board 2 weeks ago.

Most titles here are mentioned. I think most agreed ASL comes first and SFB closes in...

And there is also Harpoon by Larry Bond -- same goes to the computer version. Anyway, the manual teaches me a lot about modern naval concepts, the ASW part is even more intersting than "The Hunt for Red October"

BTW, for computer games, I think (in no particular order):

1. Gary Grisby's Pacific War SSI

2. Tornado Digital Integration (?)

3. Falcon 4 Microprose[/i}

4. Harpoon/Classics/95/97 360/Interactive Magic

5. Gary Grisby's War In Russia SSI

For CNA fans, I think a nice person has ported it to The Operation Art of War (TOAW) 2 years ago. It was a b*tch to run -- each turn takes 30min to complete on my P2-450/128MB....

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

I think some of the modern military flight sims are quite complex. Eg Microprose' Falcon 4, Jane's F15.

It's a case of spending a lot of time learning the basics, pausing the game during flight to review the manual - only to be shot down by some SAM during the first mission of a campaign!!!!

Still, I do appreciate the attention to detail!

Mace

Guest Madmatt

Yeah Harpoon from Larry Bond kept me scratching my head for some time as there seemed to be many discrepencies and contradictions between the rule manual and the game play examples. I don't remember what edition I had though but I had tons of fun with Russian Osa III's and US Destroyers.

Lets see, most complicated game, anyone remember Dauntless? With the advanced and optional rules that was a might hard to get through but the winner (for me) is this old Yaquinto game that modeled full inertial movement in outer space. It was US vs. Soviets in high performance Space Fighters but the movement system was so complex that I could never get up the math skills to play. Can't recall the title right now, but I got it boxed up in my game closet. There was also a modern game set in the 70's called Tac Ops (no relation to the Majors or maybe it was!) that you actually had to move/track each ATGM manually. That was rough in some big battles!!!

I really liked Yaquinto games and Marine 2002 and Ironclads are still long time favorites for me.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission and home of the CMMC

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-01-2000).]

Mine was 1776 by AH. I gathered the dough to buy it raking leaves. I was living in Maine at the time and the fall always brought out a desire for things that involved the Civil War and Revolutionary War...something in the air I guess.

Anyway I bought the game and my friend and I spent about two to three hours one afternoon setting it up and twisting our fourteen year old minds around the weird fractions that involved movement and battle. Well to make a very long story short we gave up for a while. We left the game set up intact in his living room but when we returned his little sister had dropped a tact nuke on 18th century New England. That was the end of that. I returned to more mundane board gaming like Awful Green Things From Outter Space and Attack of the Mutants. Ahh the good ol' days.

Mord

[This message has been edited by Mord (edited 11-01-2000).]

Awful Green Things!!!!! I never thought I'd meet anyone else that played that game. That was a hoot!

Ever seen a movie called "The Green Slime"? It's literally a film version of the game. Great laughs -the game and the movie.

As for complicated games, my most complicated were "Empires at Arms", "World in Flames", and "The Civil War". I've never played any of the others mentioned on this thread, so I don't know how these three compare. Anyone know?

------------------

"I'm the Quarterback. I make the plays. You back the plays I make." -Harvey Keitel to his adopted son in the movie "Dusk til Dawn" (about 3 hours before they're both ripped apart and eaten alive by vampires)