Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMFI 1950 Korean Campaign: 38th Parallel WIP

Please ask a playtester if the sounds are all hosed for a PC platform. I had a blast playing several KOREA 1950 PBEM battles in CM and most voices were fine. I made about 3 or 4 PBEMS with no AI plans. I am no longer into any CM AI coding. I am actually no longer into CM at all. Enjoying many other games in vassal. Many are played on headsets using discord and the social aspect is way better. I guess CM RT mode is doable like that but...

Anyway, best wishes to all you guys. I will now re-retire. 

6 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Please ask a playtester if the sounds are all hosed for a PC platform. I had a blast playing several KOREA 1950 PBEM battles in CM and most voices were fine. I made about 3 or 4 PBEMS with no AI plans. I am no longer into any CM AI coding. I am actually no longer into CM at all. Enjoying many other games in vassal. Many are played on headsets using discord and the social aspect is way better. I guess CM RT mode is doable like that but...

Anyway, best wishes to all you guys. I will now re-retire. 

Thanks for fixing some issues Phill, Michael will be able to release his campaign without bugs soon!

In french we say, "fontaine, je ne boirai jamais de ton eau", similar as "fountain I will never drink your water again" but me I added ","again",CM is a drug you will come back to it.i can be wrong ,but in one year or more, one day like everyone else can be more tempting with CM3 who know ?, in any case I wish you good game and good retirement...

Edited by JM Stuff

7 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

fontaine, je ne boirai jamais de ton eau

Well JM it was nice to have Phil back however briefly. 

Personally I have not lost any interest in the fountain yet, but I do miss some of the folk who have moved on in various ways. 

All of which reminds me to thank the active modders here like yourself and @dragonwynn and others who are active in the other titles 🙌.

28 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Personally I have not lost any interest in the fountain yet, but I do miss some of the folk who have moved on in various ways. 

All of which reminds me to thank the active modders here like yourself and @dragonwynn and others who are active in the other titles 🙌.

Thanks for the kind words. That makes all the work worth while.

21 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Yes good modders or members  are already gone from the forum, God know only where they are and if they are save.

Personly I missing some guys very active from a certain time on the forum and a friend of mine and the first one is:

@Lucky_Strike 

@Mord

@RockinHarry

@Falaise 

and also others but don't remember theirs name.

People's that gave theirs own knowledges and personly touch on the forum.

Hope to read you  again guys.

5 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

I played a KOREA scenario head to head against myself as the NKPA and I hear the Korean voices. So I really wonder what the issue is.

Are the brz's that contain the original wav files the same for PC and Big MAC?

Is JM hearing them ok on his PC or is he Mac?

Im not sure Phil. It's really odd as these are the only sound files that do it. It's no big deal I can work around it just got me scratching my head. I'll keep working with it when I have time, if not the Koreans will be speaking Japanese lol. Did get the Corsair issue solved so thanks for the help on that.

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

My 2 cent suggestion is to base the campaign off the US Mountain infantry as your base of US and you should only get M3 greaseguns and not any US Thompsons.

All Thomposn and Stens used by the Brits or Indian will show as PPsH.

I'll keep that in mind. would have to redo the core units and reset troops in 5 missions but that maybe the best option.

10 hours ago, Silentkilarz said:

I don't have much to contribute to this other than saying I'm eagerly awaiting another brilliant campaign by y'all. My grandpa (RIP) served in Korea and I can't wait to play it!

Thanks for the interest. We are slowly winding it down. I am having to rework a few things to get around a few bugs in the mod and JM is still cranking out some new additions in the mod but it's getting there. 5 missions almost complete and hopefully will start the map building for the 6th and last mission soon. My father served in Korea as well so this is a special project for me.

5 hours ago, dragonwynn said:
5 hours ago, Erwin said:

Am interested that some of the mods may well be good for Africa and/or SE Asia jungle type scenarios. 

Actually Erwin we have something planned along those lines 

That is good news.  

1 hour ago, Vacillator said:

I don't think Phil is gonna be around much on a regular basis but we can reach out to him occasionally.  Maybe when CM3 comes around his passion for CM will return, I hope so.

I can understand Phil's frustration after all the work he's done.  Unfortunately, as we've seen over the past two decades+ disillusionment and burnout is all too common with our best designers and modders.  

I don't think Phil is gonna be around much on a regular basis but we can reach out to him occasionally.  Maybe when CM3 comes around his passion for CM will return, I hope so.

Just remember my words in months or 2 3 5 years >>>

,CM is a drug everybodys  will come back to it. i can be wrong but ,one day like everyone else can be more tempting with CM3 who know ?,

and I added Or CM is just the past and we have more interresting as it and of course this can come but for the time he is on the top, this is my point of view, some opinions ??

16 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

some opinions ??

For me CM2 is the best we have at the moment.  From what I know about CM3 it will be the new best, unless something better is being developed elsewhere. 

But (and there is a but) it may not include the fronts / times / titles each of us would like to see, at least not immediately.

For me CM2 is the best we have at the moment.  From what I know about CM3 it will be the new best, unless something better is being developed elsewhere. 

But (and there is a but) it may not include the fronts / times / titles each of us would like to see, at least not immediately.

Yeahh would like to see the real face of the famous CM3 !?

CMFI Korean Campaign: The 38th Parallel

By Kohlenklau, JM Stuff and dragonwynn

The 38th Parallel is a 6 mission campaign following the 3rd Battalion, 34th Infantry Regiment, part of the 24th Infantry Division, through the early months of the Korean War. It is an extension of the 1950 Korean Modification created by Kohlenklau late last year.

I had always admired his work on this mod as this time period holds personal interest for me as my father served in that conflict.

So with the help of JM Stuff, we picked up where Kohlenklau had left off and with Koh's assistance and blessing we reworked some of this excellent mod to fit with in the time period I had chosen for this campaign.

About the Campaign:

The campaign requires the latest patched version of CMFI as well as all the modules. Included in the download will be the .cam file and the mod folder needed for this campaign. The mod are all tagged to this campaign and are required to play it but I recommend removing the mod folder after completing to eliminate any possible glitches.

Mission Tree:

1. The Crossing

2. Choke Point

3. Taejon

4. Valley of Tears

5. The Last Bridge

6. The Hills Have Eyes

Mods:

JM worked his usual modding magic giving 3d effects to the uniforms and weapons for both sides. This includes the NKPA sporting 3d foliage camo that to me adds a huge amount of immersion. The US Sherman tanks are modded after the 89th Tank Battalion who painted their tanks with various tiger faces and jaws to scare the enemy, who were considered to be superstitious. (See historical limits below).

I have tried to model the infantry with the correct patches which includes separate patches for the 34th Regiment, the 1st Cavalry Division and the ROK 1st Infantry Division.

The US 3/34th troops are represented in game as mountain infantry, the 1st Cavalry as airborne and the ROK were modeled from the Brazilian forces in the editor. I have modified the UI to reflect these units as well. (See historical limits below). There are also engineers of the 3rd Engineer Combat Brigade represented.

The NKPA are represented by the British forces in the editor.

I have, with Kohs help, added in the F4U Corsair in place of the P-47. It shows up with the correct graphics and name.

The maps were either created from scratch by me or heavily modified quick battle maps. The Korean terrain was difficult to map so hopefully I have given a decent representation of the Korean countryside.

The mods credit go to Kohlenklau for the original work, JM for the modifications we wanted for those mods and a few others such as Aris for vehicle textures and the Pacific Mod team that I borrowed some terrain and flavor object mods.

The asian buildings in the campaign are modified from the CMFI buildings and I hope they give a good representation and add to the immersion. I spent hours doing those structures.

As with any modification of this scale there are some limitations that I have listed below.

Campaign Limitations:

The campaign is semi-historical. Historically, the early battles were a mix of major engagements and a lot of small engagements over unnamed territory or places. I tried to follow the timeline from mid July through mid August which was the heart of the fighting for the 24th Infantry Division. Some of the battles are based on actual engagements some are fictional but based on the type of fighting that happened during the time frame.

I tried to mix up the battle types for player immersion but keep in mind most of the battles during the time period were defensive in nature and may not follow the exact historical locations or times.

Mod Limitations:

There are a few mod limitations to note.

1. Due to the way the weapon swaps were originally done, some US and ROK units may have a few auxiliary troops or officers holding the NKPA ppsh submachine gun instead of a Thompson. It's random and very unfrequent but we were unable to solve it. The core unit of the 3/34th does not have an issue due to using the mountain units which use the M3 Grease Gun instead of a Thompson. It's only units that use a Thompson. So just imagine that they are wielding captured weapons.

2. For whatever reason Kohs original Korean Voices were very slow sounding on my system. I tried to resample them but that created other problems. So I have substituted Japanese voices from the Pacific Mod Team in their place so if you hear an occasional Bonzai!! Consider it a very motivated NKPA soldier. This affects the NK and ROK units but at least they are Asian sounding.

Also you may hear an occasional NK or ROK soldier talking in British. Myself and JM went through every voice file but could not locate this guy. So consider it a NK psyops operator who knows the English language.

3. As mentioned previously there are 3 different paint schemes to the Sherman tanks represented by the 89th Tank Battalion. Each has its own  company modtag so they will not show up together in a single scenario. Historically the paint schemes of the 89th were not implemented until early 1951 but we thought they were so cool and different we wanted to include them in this campaign. JM is the artist of two of the models and I created one.

The missions are partially tested so please report any errors or issues and I will try and correct them.

For a historical overview of the 3/34th read the designer notes at the beginning of the campaign.

Both JM and myself hope you enjoy the campaign and my thanks goes out to Kohlenklau for creating the original mod.

Here is the link

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ddfd4izai16ed/The+38th+Parallel+Final