Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Big announcement... Battlefront is now Slitherine

Just now, markshot said:

Thanks, BamaMatt, I was waiting to hear from John.  Do you know if install requires Internet access as the old Matrix games did not?

Thanks.

I play a lot of Matrix games and have never needed internet access on install.  Download and install is typically easier than any BFC game if done from scratch.  The Matrix site is very slow and thats the biggest continuing issue.

btw, I saw a comment about the forums.  I use the Matrix forums much more than BFC.  I find them MIUCH easier to use for technical support.  Much easier to load files and pictures than BFC.  You can also log in from multiple machines without logging out.

4 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

You can also log in from multiple machines without logging out.

I'm pretty sure you can do that on the BFC forums. I never have to log back in when I get home after browsing the forums at work. So clearly logging in on my machine at work is not logging me out on my machine at home.

I will try switching a game over from elicense to Slitherine.  I assume I can just copy the user data files replacing the ones from the install to get all back to what it was before.

Yes, this may be very useful for me as politics may put me and my PC on the wrong side of the East | West divide, but I have spent a lot of money over the years on BFC games.

That would mainly leave me with various Steam titles that require a connections.

https://tallyhocorner.com/2024/08/combat-mission-devs-eaten-by-giant-lizard/

Combat Mission devs eaten by giant lizard

Battlefront, the studio that gave the world plausible 3D WeGo WW2 combat, is no more. After licking its lips with a darting bifurcated tongue, and letting out a thunderous belch, the massive Surrey reptile that consumed BFC yesterday, said this: “We are thrilled to welcome the Battlefront team into the Slitherine family."

By the time you read this, potent gastric juice will have ensured “all Battlefront staff, including co-founders Stephen Grammont and Charles Moylan” have been “fully absorbed within Slitherine.” 

Moments before dissolving in stomach soup, one of the consumed, Steve Grammont, echoed Slitherine’s sentiments.

1 minute ago, Pericles said:

https://tallyhocorner.com/2024/08/combat-mission-devs-eaten-by-giant-lizard/

Combat Mission devs eaten by giant lizard

Battlefront, the studio that gave the world plausible 3D WeGo WW2 combat, is no more. After licking its lips with a darting bifurcated tongue, and letting out a thunderous belch, the massive Surrey reptile that consumed BFC yesterday, said this: “We are thrilled to welcome the Battlefront team into the Slitherine family."

By the time you read this, potent gastric juice will have ensured “all Battlefront staff, including co-founders Stephen Grammont and Charles Moylan” have been “fully absorbed within Slitherine.” 

Moments before dissolving in stomach soup, one of the consumed, Steve Grammont, echoed Slitherine’s sentiments.

🤣

5 minutes ago, markshot said:

I will try switching a game over from elicense to Slitherine.  I assume I can just copy the user data files replacing the ones from the install to get all back to what it was before.

Yes, this may be very useful for me as politics may put me and my PC on the wrong side of the East | West divide, but I have spent a lot of money over the years on BFC games.

That would mainly leave me with various Steam titles that require a connections.

Steam does not require a connection to play.  Just to install.  The best part is with Steam, you can play on any PC you own without limit.  Matrix is the same.

22 minutes ago, markshot said:

Thanks, BamaMatt, I was waiting to hear from John.  Do you know if install requires Internet access as the old Matrix games did not?

Thanks.

I couldn't tell. There was no pause that would indicate it was waiting on Matrix's very, very slow internet.

53 minutes ago, markshot said:

Just confirmed on my laptop.  Wifi off and no network connected.  Steam starts from a cold start and CMBN and CMFB all started with no issues.

1 hour ago, markshot said:

Thanks.

I replied a little while ago. I'm still getting use to how things work with Matrix installers. As I said in my reply, and others have said here, you do not need internet access to activate the Matrix builds.

Sumfink else, not necessarily related to you, nobody needs to install the Matrix version now. If you have a perfectly good Battlefront version of a game running you can stay with that as long as you want. You'll want the Matrix or Steam versions once a patch comes out. But for now there is no need. 

22 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Keep in mind that Unity is truly cross platformable and CM3 already runs quite nicely on my Mac Book Pros.

Hmmm. Maybe that means It'll run on my Linux computer? At this point CM2 is the only thing forcing me to maintain a Windows computer. I'll run now (thanks to a custom version of Proton made by someone on an obscure forum), but it's not exactly stable on my Linux computer. As eager as I am to get rid of Windows, running CM is an absolute non-negotiable requirement (there are other games that can't be gotten to run on Linux, but I can do without them if I must).

1 hour ago, Thewood1 said:

Because they can.  So the follow up question is if all those platforms support Mac, why aren't there more Mac games?

If your core market is massive, that means from a business perspective, it'll be easier to justify Mac resources.  Mainly because it'll cost the same to develop a game on Mac for 1000 players as it is for 100,000.  But if your game starts out as a niche product, its hard to justify the expenditure of resources on a niche market like the Mac gaming.  So if the niche is 1000 players, its not good business sense.  If its 100,000, it makes more sense.

Yup, and this is the same mentality that companies use when they shave a penny off of something here or there.  If they were just making a single $100 thing that wouldn't matter.  But if they are making 1m of that thing, then $0.01 suddenly means a decent chunk of money.

If we had to build a brand new game engine, from scratch, we might not be working on a Mac version at all.  And I say this as a Mac user since 1987 that does not use a Windows machine except for rare needs (CM2 Pro only works on Windows).  The engineering effort to make and support a Mac game, from scratch, is just not worth doing.

Fortunately... we don't have to worry about that because we are using Unity :)  From there it is just a matter of the costs associated with selling and supporting a Mac version.  The number of customers we have justifies those expenses, so as far as I can tell we're all good going forward!

Steve

20 hours ago, dragonwynn said:

Will user created content built on the current BF products be playable on the Slitherine versions?

Of course. They already are. There is no distinction at all between a map, scenario, or campaign created on the BFC version vs the Slitherine version. In fact they really aren't different versions at all. The only difference is the installer and the licensing. But once installed and licensed the software is identical.

46 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

One slight concern. I don't see CMA on the Slitherine store page. I'd like to know that I'll be able to redownload it if I get a new PC, or lose my current installation for any other reason.

Yes, CMA is discontinued in all ways now.  It was effectively that way before anyway.

If you should ever need a reinstall of CMA, just ping John (or any of us) and we'll shoot you a link to the installer.  That's easy enough to do.  It's just not worth going through the hassle of making something official for such a very rare need.

Steve

8 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Yes, CMA is discontinued in all ways now.  It was effectively that way before anyway.

Ah. Well that's unfortunate. But I suppose it was probably inevitable sooner or later.

8 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

If you should ever need a reinstall of CMA, just ping John (or any of us) and we'll shoot you a link to the installer.

Thanks. This gives me some peace of mind. I'll probably need to take you up on that offer some day. My current PC won't last forever. I can't bear to leave any CM game behind.

6 hours ago, markshot said:

I feel that all customers should have needed to do:

(1)  Create if needed a MATRIX/SLITHERINE store ID.

(2)  Provide there BFC store ID.

That would have been very convenient. I doubt it would have been worth the effort on their part though. That's probably a lot of backend coding for a website feature that would only ever be used once.

8 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

That would have been very convenient. I doubt it would have been worth the effort on their part though. That's probably a lot of backend coding for a website feature that would only ever be used once.

Yup.  We went over various options before the transition and what we arrived at took those into account.  People who are familiar with migrating data from very different systems know what I'm talking about. 

Steve

The migration was not that hard.  The hardest part is Matrix's super slow website.  Of course, I have moved a number of games around from Matrix to Steam so I'm a little more familiar with the navigation.

Frankly, if you can maneuver yourself around BFC's licensing system, Matrix should be a piece of cake and Steam is even easier.  Once you've transitioned.

No more emails to BFC for another license when you get a new laptop.

Edited by Thewood1

this is big news, kinda sad tho as i took some pride in supporting an independent developer, but saying that! aslong as things are don't in the right mindset for combat mission. this could be great news for the series..and ill aim to remain positive. 

how have you guys dealt with my account details etc? if for any reason i need to re download the titles??? or see my purchase history etc?

bubba

Just now, Bubba883XL said:

sorry, seen the Q&A link so brushed up there, so will it be long till we see the rest of the supported games on slitherin and steam? CMFI & CMRT & CMFB ?

Those are already on both Slitherine and Steam. The big accomplishment in 2023 was getting all of the CM games on Steam (I think it was just down to the WW2 titles at that point).