Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

New ultra-lightweight laptop advice

My #1 spousal unit put in a request for a new laptop.  She's not a gamer.  Only requires a laptop for word processing, e-mails etc.   She is only interested in the iightest "no frills" machine that can be carried around airports etc without strain.  Her current laptop is a "Lenova" brand, and is quite light.  Hoping that new tech now allows for even lighter machines.  Any suggestions would be appreciated....   

Cos it weighs only 2.7 lbs, wife is looking at:  LG Gram 16" Lightweight Business Laptop, IPS WQXGA (2560x1600) Touchscreen, Intel Evo Platform i7-1360P (up to 5.5GHz), 16GB DDR5 RAM, 1TB SSD, Backlit, Windows 11h, Black, with MTC Stylus Pen

Anyone have any experience with this model?

Dang! That is a nice laptop. I was wanting a gaming laptop with a resolution of 2560x1600 display (couldn't find a touchscreen gaming version) an intel i7, 16GB DDR5, well pretty much exactly that laptop but I was planning on getting one with a 4070m graphics card. A 16" display is what I have now so I might get one slightly larger.

I think many of the laptops mentioned are great but you get a thumbs up from me (and the missus). 👍🏻👍🏻

Thank you...  If you are that positive about the LG mentioned above, I might get the more powerful gaming version for myself as my existing "XI" gaming laptop is too heavy to easily lug around.

15 hours ago, Erwin said:

Cos it weighs only 2.7 lbs, wife is looking at:  LG Gram 16" Lightweight Business Laptop, IPS WQXGA (2560x1600) Touchscreen, Intel Evo Platform i7-1360P (up to 5.5GHz), 16GB DDR5 RAM, 1TB SSD, Backlit, Windows 11h, Black, with MTC Stylus Pen

I have a smaller LG gram with  1260. I don't like it but your wife might. It doesn't run Linux and FreeBSD quite correctly and I don't want the numblock. Hard to take apart. I prefer my Thinkpad with AMD CPU.

Great display tho

This is the laptop I'm looking at right now (it was on sale for $200 off at Newegg):

IMG_7582.thumb.jpeg.91dd9a1103b2515783b5bd8ba0d684a8.jpeg

ASUS TUF Gaming - 17.3'' 240 Hz - Intel Core i7-13620H - GeForce RTX 4070 Laptop GPU - 16 GB DDR5 - 1 TB PCIe SSD - Windows 11 - Gaming Laptop (FX707VI-NS74 )

I like the TUF, they are mil-spec-ed.

2560x1440 though.  There is an Acer that has the 2560x1600 screen but it's $150 more 🙁

Edited by Probus

I have had multiple Surfaces and Surface Books.  Book was my favorite, but discontinued.  The Surface is good and ran CMO, CM, and several other games pretty well.  But they are more expensive than almost all the other light weight and 2in1s out there.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Probus said:

2560x1440 though.

Re a gaming laptop for me:  Does that give issues making CM look right?  ie:  Does it stretch the image?

I'll check on the 2TB-3TB HD + more RAM cost per your suggestion.  

What is the reliability of ASUS?

My thinking is that it is harder/impossible to upgrade a laptop the way one can a desktop so it pays to get the highest version.  Computers are tax deductible for me so not too sensitive to price.  

Edited by Erwin

Posted (edited)

Thanks.  I'll check that out as well.  I seem to have hijacked my own thread from an ultra lightweight laptop for my wife to a gaming machine for myself lol. 

Apologies for the distraction.  If anyone has other suggestions for an ultra lightweight reliable laptop for my wife's e-mail, web browsing and word processing (only) plz let me know... 

She currently uses a 14" Lenova which is light and has worked well for her, but it's close to 10 years old(!)  She would be interested in a larger screen, so 16"-17" - ideally so long as the weight is still under 3 lbs (with no heavy power brick needed).

Edited by Erwin

Going to be tough finding anything "lightweight" at 17".

I use a 17" very light portable monitor with my Z13.  Weighs less than a pound and gives me the option of leaving behind if I don't need it.  Connects through USB-C and a snap to hook up.

edit...ju.st checked.  It weights 1.5lb and cost $150.

Edited by Thewood1

5 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

Going to be tough finding anything "lightweight" at 17".

My MSI Pulse 17 B13VFK allegedly weighs 2.8kg, that's 6.2 lb for those using archaic units 😉.  It's a laptop but it doesn't tend to travel anywhere, although it obviously can.

7 hours ago, Erwin said:

What is the reliability of ASUS?

Generally their stuff has a high chance of working. But if not you are screwed, at least in the US. Their service is so bad it is usually better to trash the item instead of a warranty replacement.

34 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

Generally their stuff has a high chance of working. But if not you are screwed, at least in the US. Their service is so bad it is usually better to trash the item instead of a warranty replacement.

Ditto.  ASUS has been raked over the coals lately because of their warranty service.  If you submit a warranty claim they have been emailing you back with a list of other things that need to be fixed which are conveniently not covered under the warranty.  This may catch folks not very familiar with their hardware.  And then if you asked for it back they would email you that you might receive it disassembled.  I could go on.

Now that being said, I have a lot of ASUS stuff and have never had any of it fail.  I especially like their TUF series of equipment because it is held to a higher standard.  But they need to get their warranty act together.  

5 hours ago, Vacillator said:

My MSI Pulse 17 B13VFK allegedly weighs 2.8kg, that's 6.2 lb for those using archaic units 😉.  It's a laptop but it doesn't tend to travel anywhere, although it obviously can.

It's easy to find 14" laptops weighing less than 3 lbs.  There are a number of 16" and 17" laptops that claim to weigh less than 3 lbs (eg LG).  Not sure if they require a heavy power brick however.  My wife only needs e-mail, word processing and web browsing.  So, no need for the power or video card needed for gaming.  (That may be something I get, but that is not the priority here.)  But, she is interested in 16"-17" as she currently has 15" Lenova and that is feeling small (aging eyesight).

On 7/26/2024 at 2:18 PM, Erwin said:

The above is what I found.  Anyone have experience with this model and/or the LG brand reliability/support?

Just a suggestion...try someplace like Tom's Hardware site.  Lots of reviews and very good commentary on PCs/laptops/etc.  The best part is they aren't just on-release reviews.  You get info on longer term usage.  BFC forums are like looking for a lightening strike with its limited pool of participants.