PBEM ++ Guide?

Is there a guide to this feature somewhere? Just got a new laptop so reinstalling all my CM games with Steam/Slitherine, but I find this feature to be very unintuitive so far and haven't really found a good guide to using. Would prefer not to go back to Dropbox, but at least it's simple.

Thanks for asking this, I was wondering about it myself. Found a couple of youtube videos that were no help at all.  Just getting back into CM and not ready to PBEM yet, but was looking around on how this works so when I'm ready I'll know what I'm doing.    

For a reason only known to themselves, battlefront insist on supplying the 8 year old game manual with their downloads, which is not the latest version that includes instructions (basic as they are) on how to use PBEM++.  You will need to contact helpdesk to find the updated manual, which is hidden within their labrynthine files system. @BFCElvis

16 hours ago, Chudacabra said:

Is there a guide to this feature somewhere? Just got a new laptop so reinstalling all my CM games with Steam/Slitherine, but I find this feature to be very unintuitive so far and haven't really found a good guide to using. Would prefer not to go back to Dropbox, but at least it's simple.

Here is a rudimentary rundown.

1. you need to set up a Slitherine Account - you will need your username, password and e-mail for PBEM++ (note, I don't 100% remember if it is a Matrix or Slitherine account you need - I think you can link the two in the Matrix or Slitherine systems.  In any event my username and password is identical for both my Matrix and Slitherine accounts so it makes no difference to me)
  2. In the game you can login to PBEM++ through the Options Menu but I never do that.  No idea if there is an advantage to doing so or not.  You can also log-in when creating a new battle or playing a PBEM turn or accepting a challenge
    • The PBEM++ Login will ask you to enter your Username, your password and your e-mail.  You will enter all three the first time you attempt login in a CM Game (e.g., CMFB, CMCW, etc.).  You will need to do this for each game.  On subsequent login attempts the game remembers your user ID and e-mail, you just need to enter your password
    • Once logged in you will stay logged in until you shut down that instance of the game.
  3. To start a new battle in PBEM++ pick a new battle and side.  There will be an option in the drop-down menu for how you want to play and you will select 2 Players - Automated PBEM+.  If not already logged in you will get the login screen (see bullet 2)
    • If you want to set a password for your opponent to be able to first get access to the game you MUST manually re-select (click on it) the automated PBEM+ option even if it defaults to it on your list (it is called a private challenge).  Otherwise the entry box to type in a password will not appear.
      • You want to set up this password if you do not want anyone you do not know to accept the challenge and play against you.
      • And you obviously tell your preferred opponent what the password is.  This password is only used once so that they can accept the challenge.  It has nothing to do with your login password to the system.
  4. Click on Next or OK.  You will now get a password screen for your side like you would normally see for a regular PBEM game.  You can leave it blank so just hit OK.  There is no danger to you from cheating by your opponent as things are protected through your PBEM++ login
  5. Click on okay for save e-mail game.
  6. Your first turn will now be sent to the PBEM++ Challenges page.
  7. To accept a challenge go to Saved Games and PBEMs.  On the Drop-down screen select Automated PBEM++ Challenges
  8. A listing of all challenges will appear with the date Username and scenario description.  If there is an asterisk ( * ) in the first character position that indicates a password is required to accept the challenge.  No asterisk means anyone can accept the challenge
  9. Accepting the challenge will require your challenge password to be entered in the white box above the accept button which may be greyed out.  The a login in to PBEM++ if not logged in and basically follow the steps outlined earlier.  Once your opponent has done all they need to do and sends the turn back to you it will be accessible under the Saved Games and PBEMs/Automated PBEM++ In Progress drop-down selection.  It will only show save game files that you are personally playing through PBEM++ and that are for your next turn.  Once you play the turn and return the file, it disappears from your list and is removed from your game files folders.
    • This is one thing I don't like about PBEM++, so if you are someone who want to do AARs or videos you need to be aware of this and move the fles to somewhere safe before sending the turn back.  I haven't tried, so I am not sure if you can even replay the turn files later outside of PBEM++ however
  10. Slitherine will send you/opponent e-mails saying your next game turn awaits you.  I find there is some time lag on their end getting these sent so if you are banging away a number of turns in an evening, you will probably be quicker just checking PBEM++ In Progress listing frequently.  I think the lag in email notifications is typically on the order of 15 minutes +/-

I think that mostly covers it.

27 minutes ago, Andrew Kulin said:

Here is a rudimentary rundown.

Thanks Andrew, might give it a try using your instructions. 

Any views on pros and cons compared with 'normal' PBEM behaviour, with or without CM Helper?  I note the disappearing save files you mentioned.

I wouldn’t recommend using it. 

If there is any kind of glitch in the system and your turn file gets eaten by the digital abyss, there is no way to revert the turn or redo it. You have to restart the whole battle. The system doesn’t allow any access to the files so there is no way to revert to a previous turn. These glitches happen more often than you think and are incredibly frustrating. 

Also, if the Slitherine servers go down for whatever reason, you’re outta luck until they come back online. Also frustrating, and also happens more often than you would think. 

I stick to manual PBEM myself for these reasons. Plus, with the various user made PBEM programs out there you get all the benefits of automated PBEM without the headache of Slitherine. 

22 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Any views on pros and cons compared with 'normal' PBEM behaviour, with or without CM Helper?  I note the disappearing save files you mentioned.

Cpt Miller has valid points.  Though I have not experienced the glitch per se of losing the entire game and having to restart from scratch I know there have been issues like that in tournaments (which may or may not have been resolved getting Slitherine involved through BFC Elvis). 

The other main shortcoming with PBEM++ is communication with your opponent.  Unless you know/are given their e-mail or BFC/Slitherine/Matrix username and can communicate through e-mails or forums you have no way to get in touch with them.  This is more an issue in tournaments as you are drawn to play against people you likely don't know rather than PBEMs you are setting up against someone.

I used to used CM Helper but I don't see it being supported anymore (GreenasJade seems to have disappeared last time I ever checked) so using it for newer games might not be possible.  The other alternative is IanL's (Canadian Cat) Whose Turn Is It (WTII) which he has added player to player communication, at least on a beta I tested out with him.  Not sure if he has made that public yet but I am sure he will chime in . @A Canadian Cat - was IanL

Edited by Andrew Kulin

10 minutes ago, Andrew Kulin said:

IanL's (Canadian Cat) Whose Turn Is It (WTII)

Canada for the win 😉.

I tried CM Helper a while ago but it didn't recognise some of my game exes and I rather hastily gave up.  Perhaps another go is worth it, or Ian's fine effort instead.

What you all describe about PBEM ++ makes me want to avoid it.  I haven't yet played a tournament so don't need it for that.

Edited by Vacillator

Awesome summary @Andrew Kulin. I added a bit of colour /  answered question or two.

59 minutes ago, Andrew Kulin said:

I don't 100% remember if it is a Matrix or Slitherine account you need

It's the Matrix account. I'm like you though and same id for both. At first I didn't realize they were really separate but they are - sigh.

1 hour ago, Andrew Kulin said:

login to PBEM++ through the Options Menu but I never do that.  No idea if there is an advantage to doing so or not. 

No, there is no difference.

Login will ask you to enter your Username, your password and your e-mail. 

You really need to make sure you do enter your email. I am not sure if you can still log in without it (I think it was during testing that you could at one point) but if you do skip the email you are pretty much guaranteed to have issues. 

I think the lag in email notifications is typically on the order of 15 minutes +/-

Good tip.

6 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

I wouldn’t recommend using it. 

If there is any kind of glitch in the system and your turn file gets eaten by the digital abyss, there is no way to revert the turn or redo it. You have to restart the whole battle. The system doesn’t allow any access to the files so there is no way to revert to a previous turn. These glitches happen more often than you think and are incredibly frustrating. 

Also, if the Slitherine servers go down for whatever reason, you’re outta luck until they come back online. Also frustrating, and also happens more often than you would think. 

I stick to manual PBEM myself for these reasons. Plus, with the various user made PBEM programs out there you get all the benefits of automated PBEM without the headache of Slitherine. 

Hmmm, this doesn't sound particularly appealing.

I suppose there is no way to use manual PBEM with Steam?

May have to revert to the old fashioned system. CMHelper just stopped working altogether on my old laptop unfortunately (not the reason I got a new one, but still).

I'm reading all this with interest, since the last time I PBEM'ed was more than ten years ago with CM1.

One used to be able to simply attach one's PBEM save-file to the email to one's opponent. Now people need a "Helper" for that? Seriously? 🤨

So, someone answer me this. If I just buy a game from BFC, will I be able to PBEM? I'm not interested in Steam.

15 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

That is not correct, when there is a glitch and the file is defect, does not load anymore and so on, you can write an email to support@slitherine.co.uk  ,with the name of the map/scenario and the opponent and the support, Paolo or whoever is on duty, never on the weekends, sets the game one turn before the glitch.

I have not years of experience to form my opinion on, but I never had the problem that the servers where down for more then an hour.

Sending files via email/dropbox is not complicated, but just go into the game and load the match is much more comfortable.

1 hour ago, M.Herm said:

I have not years of experience to form my opinion on, but I never had the problem that the servers where down for more then an hour.

If they go down around a weekend they will not be brought online before Monday morning UK time. I don't think that is an acceptable service level for a game server.

10 hours ago, Rob2020 said:

One used to be able to simply attach one's PBEM save-file to the email to one's opponent. Now people need a "Helper" for that? Seriously? 🤨

So, someone answer me this. If I just buy a game from BFC, will I be able to PBEM? I'm not interested in Steam.

Rob, you can still do it all by email but as PIATpunk said the save files can get large (for example Hot Time in Hatten recently was up to 120MB per save) so you're far better using an online service like Dropbox where you and your opponent stick the save files in a shared folder. 

I don't actually use Helper, but if I did it would alert me to when a new file is there.  Big deal you might say, but if you're playing 3 PBEMS at once and exchanging maybe 2 or 3 turns a day (well sometimes 😉) this can be useful.  It also has a chat function, where you can type things like 'pew, pew, pew' 😄 or more meaningful stuff about your game or whatever else you want to talk about).  Instead of Helper chat, I have BFC forum PM chats going with opponents to do the same job, or in one case we exchange emails for chat/alerts and Dropbox for the files.

And yes, you will be able to PBEM with a BFC bought game - that's what I'm doing, even though I've also set them up on Steam just because I can.

4 hours ago, Vacillator said:

(for example Hot Time in Hatten recently was up to 120MB per save)

Wow, insane.

Big deal you might say, but if you're playing 3 PBEMS at once and exchanging maybe 2 or 3 turns a day (well sometimes...)

Makes sense.

And yes, you will be able to PBEM with a BFC bought game - that's what I'm doing, even though I've also set them up on Steam just because I can.

Thanks for the info.

I'm still messing around with a couple of the demos, haven't actually bought a game. No particular reason, other than I'm having a hard time justifying buying another computer game when I already have dozens I haven't yet played.

20 minutes ago, Rob2020 said:

I'm still messing around with a couple of the demos, haven't actually bought a game. No particular reason, other than I'm having a hard time justifying buying another computer game when I already have dozens I haven't yet played.

I can only speak about my experience - I played the BN and RT demos, didn't have a clue how to play at first but liked what I saw, perhaps as an old ASL player.  Bought RT (yes I'm one of those East Front people), and then BN, FI and FB and all of the subsequent add-ons.  I haven't regretted any of that, even if I play some a lot more than others.

I also have a lot of other games (mainly bought on Steam) that I haven't played, partly because I spend all of my game time playing CM.  We can console ourselves in the knowledge (if I recall it correctly) that 60% of games bought on Steam have not even been downloaded, let alone played.

As for CM, you could pick up one in a sale perhaps (I'd say RT or BN) and I'll give you a game when you're ready 😉.

7 hours ago, Vacillator said:

As for CM, you could pick up one in a sale perhaps (I'd say RT or BN) and I'll give you a game when you're ready 😉.

Thanks, but I've had my fill of Doubleyou-Doubleyou-Two. If I buy one it will be a modern title.

Are PBEM games still cheat-proof, as in CM1?

12 hours ago, Rob2020 said:

Thanks, but I've had my fill of Doubleyou-Doubleyou-Two. If I buy one it will be a modern title.

Are PBEM games still cheat-proof, as in CM1?

Fair enough.

As far as I know PBEM is cheat-proof, haven't heard or experienced otherwise.