PBEM ++ Guide?

4 hours ago, Vacillator said:

As far as I know PBEM is cheat-proof, haven't heard or experienced otherwise.

As long as it's WEGO, it should be.

Being cheat-proof, ie, no replaying of turns possible, is the most important thing that sets these games apart from pretty much all other computer wargames. Of course, there are many other aspects that are also very cool and unique, but I've always thought that if it weren't for being cheat-proof, these games would never have had the continued popularity that they've enjoyed.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know of any other computer wargames that are cheat-proof?

Edited by Rob2020
It has recently been discovered that the designer of the Titanic spoke with a lisp. That's just unthinkable.

• 3 weeks later...

Im experiencing a very weird issue with PBEM++ in the current CMFB tournament. I get the email notification as usual for turn 17. I load up the game, and in the In progress tab it says Launch Tournament Round 1, but its no longer the Last man out scenario. Instead its Fortress Grosshau (also turn 17, but otherwise a completely different battle). I try to load it but cant get past the password.

53552620925_a3a6532379_b.jpg

Once I exit, I get an auto generated save. And its named Grosshasu-Bluebird-Cargol-051. So It looks like this is a battle between Bluebird and @cargol. How this is even possible is beyond me. I have tried to mail Slitherine support a week ago, no reply yet. 

53552511649_3839b7f36f_b.jpg

I'll tag you as well @BFCElvis, might be of interest. 

I had same thing happen when my first of my first round matches ended with Meltpile.  I then got an initial turn from him for the Grosshau scenario.  I informed BFC Elvis and he told me not to start that game (I wasn't going to anyway) and he said someone else had the same problem (and with Meltpile too for some reason). 

And I also had a scoring issue with the first game that ended (possible BFC Bug) which I informed Elvis about too.  The (in my opinion) incorrect final score was showing on the Matrix site until the Grosshau Turn 1 showed up.  And then it went to 0-0.  And has remained such, and as well the Grosshau Turn 1 remains in my PBEM+ Games in Progress folder.  This has been pushing maybe 2 weeks.  Something you should check out just in case your Matrix scoring has been affected as well.

In responding to your post, I am now asking if this weird situation with me receiving a Turn 1 game file for the next scenario is why my Game 1 score for my round one match reset itself to 0-0 since the Matrix/Slitherine system thinks we have not started our first game yet??  Is Elvis in the house? @BFCElvis

Edited by Andrew Kulin

• 1 month later...

My prospective opponents are now refusing to play CM with PBEM+++ because of issues they've experienced with it. Some are similar to the FUBARs others have mentioned which prevented them from completing the battles. They've also experienced exceedingly long load and send times up to 20 minutes or more. So, while I hate (re)-installing Dropbox and Whose Turn Is It, I'll do that to keep on playing.

@A Canadian Cat - was IanL, what is the latest version of Whose Turn Is It?

On 2/26/2024 at 1:54 AM, Andrew Kulin said:

Is Elvis in the house? @BFCElvis

Just saw this Andrew, you need to make @BFCElvis look like this @BFCElvis by selecting him from a dropdown list as you type. 

No doubt you are my granny and I'm sucking eggs 😉.

As I'm just about to start a new PBEM++ with @Centurian52 what's the latest word on the street with respect to PBEM++ issues?

Hmm, that's a shame.  I'm playing everything else via Dropbox but I thought I'd get with the program and play this new PBEM via PBEM++.  I think I still will, more as a test than a logical choice, and I'll report back how we get on.

I have had the odd problem but nothing so bad I would never use PBEM+.  And problems I have had are mostly (90%) tournament related.

Load speeds are going to be function of internet service.  I play at home (1 TB type fibre optic service) on a new and fast computer.  At cottage we have satellite internet (50 MBs type service) and the computer is 10 years old (very fast for its day).  Up north at the cottage, opening up list of PBEM+ turn files could take around 30 seconds to appear, while games with 25MB file sizes up north would take a couple of minutes to load up.  At home with the faster service, the turn list is pretty much instant, and loading same size game files takes seconds. 

I believe with PBEM+ all save files are uploaded from the UK servers when you want to play the turn, so slower internet is going to take some time, whereas with DropBox, I also believe it uploads all files to your hard-drive in the background, so they are sitting on your hard-drive ready to go more or less instantly.

I don't recall my Internet speeds exactly but I think it is somewhere around 300/10 Mbs and my system is fairly beefy and I've not experienced PBEM+++ issues myself. I'll invite the guys to this thread and maybe they can add more information.

We'll see, but I'm in the UK as it says over there <---, with FTTP broadband at around 650 to 700 Mbps download.  Loading up the initial turns in PBEM++ was instantaneous but they are the 'password' turns with not much meat in them.

As for Dropbox I have to manually press the download button, maybe because I'm not using Whose Turn Is it or CM Helper?

I've never used CM Helper but Whose Turn Is It handles moving the files to/from the appropriate CM folders. I found setting Whose Turn up a little confusing but once a game is underway it worked pretty smoothly.

I've had no issues with PBEM++ so far, but none of my games are finished yet (3 ongoing, 1 not started yet). So I wouldn't have noticed any issues that only come up at the end of the game yet. Loading times haven't been an issue for me. I don't know how long it takes the turns to upload, but considering that I can really only keep up with a couple turns a day or so consistently I can't imagine upload times of 20 minutes being an issue. I'm not sure I'd notice even if it took an hour (for all I know my opponent might not have even gotten around to looking at the next turn yet).

13 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

for all I know my opponent might not have even gotten around to looking at the next turn yet

You're talking about me now aren't you 😉?  We need a slight adjustment to our game and then it'll be plain sailing I'm sure.

9 minutes ago, Bannon said:

@Vacillator and @Centurian52, I'd invite you two to a Cold War or Black Sea battle over  PBEM+++, but I see you're both general officers and I'm a lowly noncom so I'm not sure how fair that would be. 😉

That would not be an issue, anyone can beat anyone (at least when I'm involved).  What might be troublesome for me is that I'm yet to play either CW or BS.  Both of us are somewhat busy just now anyway but I'd be happy to oblige at some point once I can at least tell my RISEs from my non-RISEs (ooh err missus).

12 minutes ago, Bannon said:

@Vacillator and @Centurian52, I'd invite you two to a Cold War or Black Sea battle over  PBEM+++, but I see you're both general officers and I'm a lowly noncom so I'm not sure how fair that would be. 😉

I'm not sure it would be so unfair. I'm a longtime Combat Mission player, but I'm still an H2H newbie. I'd be up for taking the Soviets for a spin against a human US opponent.

1 minute ago, Centurian52 said:

I'm not sure it would be so unfair. I'm a longtime Combat Mission player, but I'm still an H2H newbie. I'd be up for taking the Soviets for a spin against a human US opponent.

Excellent! You said Soviets so I'll assume Cold War and send a turn your way in a bit.

6 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

You're talking about me now aren't you 😉?

No, of course not. But even on the weekends, when I can theoretically get in more than two turns a day, I'm still not likely to check my email for notification that I've got another turn waiting for me any more than once an hour or so.