Downfall: Enjoying the module?

11 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

That is the campaign that I was talking about

I thought you were Monsieur Warts 'n' all, but we did have two campaigns being discussed.  Anyway, bonne chance mon ami.

EDIT: My conscience told me that bon chance was not correct.

Edited by Vacillator

8 hours ago, Vacillator said:

I thought you were Monsieur Warts 'n' all, but we did have two campaigns being discussed. 

You're right @Myles Keogh did mention two campaigns in his original post. I'll confine myself to "Claymores Through Kleve" until I lose it. Exits stage right doing a Tiny Tim impersonation "Tiptoe through the minefields with me". --------------------------->

• 2 weeks later...

I will be giving the scottish campaign another try, but on my first go I lost both of the mine flail tanks in the first mission, not knowing i would need them in the second. This is the easy version no less. The first mission wasn't enjoyable for me, being at night with very heavy casualties. I have made it to the 7th mission in the US campaign however, and while a couple of the mission were a bit annoying, overall I am having a good time of it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm playing the "Drop zone P" battle and there is an AT team equipped with an M18 bazooka that does not appear in the Final Blitzkrieg or Downfall manual. The range of the M18 is 3976 meters and it has no recoil. I think it is a mistake and the range should be smaller. Regards.

CM Final Blitzkrieg 03_03_2024 17_27_36.jpg

16 minutes ago, Vencini said:

I'm playing the "Drop zone P" battle and there is an AT team equipped with an M18 bazooka that does not appear in the Final Blitzkrieg or Downfall manual. The range of the M18 is 3976 meters and it has no recoil. I think it is a mistake and the range should be smaller. Regards.

CM Final Blitzkrieg 03_03_2024 17_27_36.jpg

The M18 is a recoilless rifle, you'll find the info on page 8 under the U.S. Special Weapons section. The effective and maximum range are within the specs I have for it, so it isn't worth quibbling over.

Hello. I'm playing Drop Zone P and I don't understand why the option to use the howitzer from the HQ artillery button is activated if the contact is with the radio of an unbuttoned vehicle, but if it is the radio of a HQ you can't call for artillery. Thanks and regards.

CFE.jpg

15 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Your picture shows both the mortar and the howitzer being available to the HQ unit that you have highlighted. So I don't see a problem.

Hello and thanks for your answer. The unbuttoned vehicle's radio allows the rest of the scene's HQ to access the artillery. If instead of a vehicle, I put a HQ with radio next to the artillery, the artillery is not available. This can be easily checked in the scenario deployment phase. Why does this happen? Thanks and regards.

1 hour ago, Vencini said:

Hello and thanks for your answer. The unbuttoned vehicle's radio allows the rest of the scene's HQ to access the artillery. If instead of a vehicle, I put a HQ with radio next to the artillery, the artillery is not available. This can be easily checked in the scenario deployment phase. Why does this happen? Thanks and regards.

That tank's radio shouldn't have any influence, buttoned or unbuttoned. As long as the howitzer is in contact with the HQ that wants to use it. I've tested this battle, and all of the para and glider HQs have been able to call in howitzer missions during the Set-up Phase. Hopefully you will get it sorted, and enjoy the battle.

On 3/3/2024 at 11:39 AM, Vencini said:

Its maximum range is in that order, however it has a significantly smaller effective range (like about 1/10th the max range - roughly). It's a recoilless rifle, so that is correct. 

Dave

- Glider HQ with radio and  blue LOS to the howitzer and can't call for artillery

- There is another HQ with radio near the howitzer.

image.thumb.jpeg.e1c1c0cf42762a44f943267247ee3aa9.jpeg

- HQ Glider can call for artillery now, and I would like know why, because there is a radio near the howitzer in both situations. Thanks and regards.
image.thumb.jpeg.8970336d5a109769d87094d51af21a67.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished playing spearhead as allies, major victory achieved. The campaign was amazing. I lost 2 tanks during the final Cologne battle one was a pershing hit by a panzerfaust 60 killing 3 crew near end of map the other was an m4a3 taken out by a panther earlier on. The other pershing I had was also put out of action with a panther shell hit taking out it's barrel at a distance, no crew injuries and withdrawn to rear. The Panther was taken care of by an EasyEight watching down a street as it was trying to escape a jumbo. In this campaign you will find many building that form a square with a courtyard in the center, and with that the enemy can be in any window, waiting for you to dare and cross the courtyard. I'm glad to have played this before Remagen campaign.

I wanted to mention that It felt like the city environments ran noticeably smoother compared to other battles maybe the maps were smaller or did you guys improve things?

I also want to mention how beautiful the building are. A lot of time and effort there, Sometimes I just pause for a while and view the woodwork/stonework. It looks like a trolley ran through the city? Was/Is the Appelhof platz an underground subway?

The first scenario played was Exploitation. Nice map and some novelties with the Wasp and the Kangaroo but rather difficult.
This ended in tactical defeat. In this type of scenario the effectiveness of the artillery is decisive and mine was not very precise despite a veteran advanced observer with +2 in leadership (the incovenients of the Iron level).
I appreciated the firepower of the Kangaroo in which the machine gun is well protected.
A bad surprise was the long-range accuracy of the Panzerschreck which seems much more effective than in 1944 (the shooters were regular).

• 2 weeks later...

Now I beat Remagen campaign great module.

I can not believe that about three days later the Germans shelled the approach which had tons of vehicles in waiting to cross as the approach was exposed to artillery

So many vehicles and tanks were hit by the artillery around the approach and town that bodies piled up many feet high.

Why couldn't they find the source of the German shelling? That is insane and it was 3 days after they captured the bridge!

Here is more stuff on Remagen

https://www.v2rocket.com/start/deployment/v2s-on-remagen.html

Playing the Claymores campaign.  Playing the Brits is hard.  Mission 1 seemed impossible until I figured out the "correct tactic" - or at least a tactic that seems to be working very well.  Still 39 minutes to go so I may be suffering from hubris.  We'll see.  

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

Playing the Claymores campaign.  Playing the Brits is hard.  Mission 1 seemed impossible until I figured out the "correct tactic" - or at least a tactic that seems to be working very well.  Still 39 minutes to go so I may be suffering from hubris.  We'll see.  

Oh, dear. There are no "Brits" in this campaign. You begin with the Canucks, and then go on to fight as the Jocks. If you must use a collective to describe members of the British Army in WW2 then use "Limeys". 

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Oh, dear. There are no "Brits" in this campaign. You begin with the Canucks, and then go on to fight as the Jocks. If you must use a collective to describe members of the British Army in WW2 then use "Limeys".

Yesterday I was asked to fill out a survey, part of which was 'Ethnicity'.  Under the 'White' heading (other headings were available) I was surprised to find that I could only choose 'White British' or 'White Welsh'.  🤔.

I immediately called Tom Jones to ask if he considered himself British. He told me to **** ***, even though I know he has quite a bit of English 'in him'.

12 minutes ago, thilio said:

It's written allied against AI prefered.
After playing this way with a tactical defeat, i tried german vs AI...

Preferred means (to me) that you can try the other side.  It looks like you did okay with one Pak40 bunker?

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

There are no "Brits" in this campaign. You begin with the Canucks, and then go on to fight as the Jocks

Great Britain is composed of England, Scotland, and Wales. (This is different to the UK.)

Jocks (Scots) Welsh and N Irish are all Brits.  (People of Northern Ireland have the right to identify either as Irish or British, or both.)  However, I actually didn't realize I was playing with Canadians in Mission 1.  (They sound like Brits.)  I simply assume they have dual nationality and therefore are also Brits.

When you've lived in the UK long enuff, you'll figure all this out lol.  :)

Edited by Erwin

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

the UK

The UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  As you rightly say GB is England, Scotland and Wales.

As for NI people 'identifying' as Irish and/or British, I don't think that's a universally held view. But let's not go there...

Canadians (although very nice) are not Brits.  They are Commonwealth, at least for now.

I've lived in the UK all my life, but @Warts 'n' all has lived here even after his death.