Downfall: Enjoying the module?

22 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

I've lived in the UK all my life, but @Warts 'n' all has lived here even after his death.

That is very true. At 400-odd years old I'm even older than the UK.

Of course, Erwin fails to grasp both the history (and the humour) behind my comment. "Brits" fought in late 20th century Ireland, they have fought in the middle east in this century, and of course give, their name to an award for ****e electronic dance music. And the word is fine when talking about BFCs modern titles. Downfall is a WW2 title and the word is out of place. Granddad Paddy was born in County Meath, and fought all through the war (except when consuming vast quantities of the black stuff in the NAAFI). He was a Limey, but he could never be a "Brit". My USatian girlfriend can grasp this concept, and she has only lived in Limeyland for 7 years.

As for filling out forms which demand our nationality, I'm miffed if I don't get the option "Anglo-Irish".

4 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

an award for ****e electronic dance music

I think you'll find that the Brit Awards are not just for ****e electronic dance music.  In fact the electronic dance category might be the least ****e category eligible for an award 😉.

8 hours ago, Vacillator said:

I think you'll find that the Brit Awards are not just for ****e electronic dance music.  In fact the electronic dance category might be the least ****e category eligible for an award 😉.

Thank you for putting me right on that one. Slightly off topic. We visited a National Trust property yesterday. They had an Edisonophone, so I asked the guide if she would play something. She obliged by putting on some ragtime. I then had to explain to both her, and my girlfriend how the wax cylinders were recorded.

Meanwhile back to the first mission. My Canucks didn't sound "British", they sounded like they came from the wrong side of the pond, just as they should do.

Edited by Warts 'n' all

I'm not if anyone else is taking on "Claymores Through Kleve", but in one or two missions we are meant to have 3in/81mm mortars off-map. But, they do not show up in the arty support panel. Which is a bit annoying when you are rubbish like me, and need all the arty I can get.

2 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I'm not if anyone else is taking on "Claymores Through Kleve", but in one or two missions we are meant to have 3in/81mm mortars off-map. But, they do not show up in the arty support panel. Which is a bit annoying when you are rubbish like me, and need all the arty I can get.

I'm not, my attention has been directed elsewhere.  But I also need all the arty I can get, although I'm developing a reputation for dumping it on my own troops 🙄.  Except when it comes to on-map mortars.  I have a new-found liking for the US 60mm by way of an example.

4 hours ago, Vacillator said:

But I also need all the arty I can get, although I'm developing a reputation for dumping it on my own troops 🙄.

I did that a LOT when I moved back into WW2 after spending a while in the modern era. Definitely need to be thinking in terms of larger "danger close" distances in WW2.

29 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

I did that a LOT when I moved back into WW2 after spending a while in the modern era. Definitely need to be thinking in terms of larger "danger close" distances in WW2.

Thankyou my good friend, but I can't use that excuse.  My modern era experience is currently limited to several turns in a Cold War PBEM against a Cold War veteran - good way to start eh?

8 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Hope your mortars show up (as reinforcements maybe?).

I think that I may have automatically assumed I was getting 3in Mortars because their HQ is on the map. Anyway they're not shown on the Tactical Map amongst the reinforcements. So I doubt that they will put in an appearance.

I also have to hope that my fly boys don't bomb my men. But, it has happened before.

Edited by Warts 'n' all

Playing the first mission of the Spearhead campaign.

Is there a method of knowing whether the artillery available at the beginning of the mission should be used, otherwise it will be lost, or whether it can be kept for the next mission ?

On 4/5/2024 at 7:58 PM, thilio said:

Playing the first mission of the Spearhead campaign.

Is there a method of knowing whether the artillery available at the beginning of the mission should be used, otherwise it will be lost, or whether it can be kept for the next mission ?

Unfortunately, there is no concrete way of knowing unless the designer has put it in the briefing.

I look at the module from the opposite end as a content guy and I had great fun making scenarios for the module. Downfall isn't France, it isn't Italy, it isn't Russia, its not the bulge. Its its own thing with its own peculiarities to play with/work around. I was sorry my 'paying job' kept me from making more scenarios to include.

About DF Exploitation playing Germans. Either your bunker wipe's 'em all out or it get's KO's by the first hit and you're in a pickle. 😬 

Ok I've just gotta say it once. A lot of people all over the forums (I really don't want to imply I'm picking on you specifically @waffelmann) have been typing 'loose' when they mean 'lose'. There's loose, as in loose an arrow or loosen a knot. And there's lose, as in to lose your keys or lose a fight.

I tried so hard not to say anything, because it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. I really don't want to be the sort of person who goes around correcting everyone's spelling (that could only come around and backfire on me if I did, because god knows I make far worse spelling mistakes all the time). But this isn't the first time I had to reread a sentence because my inner voice read 'loos' the first time when the intended pronunciation was 'looz'.

18 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

Ok I've just gotta say it once. A lot of people all over the forums (I really don't want to imply I'm picking on you specifically @waffelmann) have been typing 'loose' when they mean 'lose'. There's loose, as in loose an arrow or loosen a knot. And there's lose, as in to lose your keys or lose a fight.

I tried so hard not to say anything, because it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. I really don't want to be the sort of person who goes around correcting everyone's spelling (that could only come around and backfire on me if I did, because god knows I make far worse spelling mistakes all the time). But this isn't the first time I had to reread a sentence because my inner voice read 'loos' the first time when the intended pronunciation was 'looz'.

I have no problem being the bogeyman. English is not my native language and I am not particularly good at either English or French (both learned at school).
I'm happy when people understand what I want.
But if you have serious problems with my English, please open a ticket on Google.
It's unfortunate that no one addressed the content.*

*) Attention: This text was automatically translated!

On 4/24/2024 at 12:01 AM, Centurian52 said:

Ok I've just gotta say it once. A lot of people all over the forums (I really don't want to imply I'm picking on you specifically @waffelmann) have been typing 'loose' when they mean 'lose'. There's loose, as in loose an arrow or loosen a knot. And there's lose, as in to lose your keys or lose a fight..

We have a village just a couple of miles away called "Loose". Most people pronounce it "Lose". Although there was a Ladies Morris side who called themselves "The Loose Women".

Meanwhile after only managing a Minor Victory with my Jocks in the Wald, cuz I'm rubbish. I'm just embarking on "Spearhead".