CM KOREA 1950 MOD

I will do just a wee bit of modding for the US Army soldiers.

I already have the USMC UNIFORM mod from previous modder's work. Credit to them. 

I hope in September to play a PBEM against my buddy Gary and DAR it here in this thread. Probably it will be ROK Task Force Smith.

Here is a great story about Task Force Smith...

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/citations/ADA381834

Edited by kohlenklau

Yawn. I think I will take a little break on the soldiers and move over to a vehicle for a while...

Already in CMFI is the M-24 Chaffee so no "Fake Lobster" here!

The good old scale modeler hobby is always a juicy source of vehicle markings.

s-l1600-6.jpg

s-l1600-7.jpg

s-l1600-8.jpg

OIP-9.jpg

OIP-11.jpg

I made it back before the one hour curfew!

339-in-prog.png

Edited by kohlenklau

So, now I will swing over to some CMFI Korea 1950 Mod map making. I have this nice photo here to guide me.

@Lucky_Strike Hey dude, we all miss you. Mark, I have tried emails and PM's. I need some KOREAN terrain help! :D

But please just let us know you are ok and all is well.

Korean-War-in-pictures-8.jpg

NOTE TO SELF: I need to mod the CMFI horizons to be more lush and green for Korea. Or maybe check with H&E first. @37mm :D

Edited by kohlenklau

13 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Or maybe check with H&E first. @37mm :D

The main one (a variation of @sdp's Italian background which itself was a variation of the original CMSF background) might be a little too lush.

The [mountains] tag uses the background from @birdstrike's Syrope terrain mod & might be more appropriate.

For the H&E prequel/Korea, I was thinking of just using the [spring] versions of backgrounds from either CMFI or CMFB.

Great stuff mate!

One small mapping point: unlike WW2 Europe, power or phone poles in rural 1950 Korea would be quite rare except along rail lines, or in the immediate area of (largely coastal) industrial cities, or in the North connecting hydroelectric dams to cities.

https://photius.com/countries/korea_north/economy/korea_north_economy_korea_under_the_japa~119.html

The next few bursts of effort will be to mod and rename existing textures to create a passable 1950's era Korean city - what you might call a hybrid Osan/Seoul I guess.

I have a map in progress and Gary and I will throw down for a PBEM next week some time.

I will do the usual DAR here with screenshots and my typical discount humor. :D

UN Defensive 1950 Campaign Streamer
25 June North Korean forces cross border with South Korea. North Korean People's Army (NKPA) numbers approximately 135,000 men; Republic of Korea (ROK) Army contains 98,000 soldiers.
28 June NKPA forces capture Seoul.
1 July First U.S. ground combat troops, Task Force Smith (1st Battalion, 21st Infantry, 24th Infantry Division), arrive in Korea.
3 July Inchon falls to the NKPA.
5 July Task Force Smith engages and delays advancing NKPA forces at Osan in first U.S. ground action of the war.
8-12 July 21st Infantry stalls NKPA advances at Chochiwon.
10-18 July 25th Infantry and 1st Cavalry Divisions begin movement to Korea from Japan; 29th Regimental Combat Team sails from Okinawa for Korea; 2d Infantry Division prepares to embark from Seattle.
13-16 July 19th and 34th Infantry Regiments, 24th Infantry Division, fight delaying actions at Kum River line.
19 July 24th Infantry Division begins defense of Taejon.
20 July Taejon is captured by NKPA; 24th Infantry, 25th Infantry Division, captures Yechon.
25 July 29th Regiment engages the enemy near Chinju.
31 July 5th Regimental Combat Team arrives in Korea from Hawaii.
4 August Naktong (Pusan) Perimeter is set up.
8-18 August NKPA attempts to penetrate Naktong (Pusan) Perimeter and is repelled by 24th, 2d, and 25th Infantry Divisions along with Marine elements in the First Battle of the Naktong Bulge.
15-20 August Elements of 23d and 27th Infantry Regiments and ROK 1st Division successfully defend Naktong (Pusan) Perimeter in the Battle of the Bowling Alley (west of Taegu).
31 August-19 September Second Battle of the Naktong Bulge.

PHASE 2: 16 September-2 November 1950
(UN OFFENSIVE)

UN Offensive 1950 Streamer
15 September U.S. X Corps, with the 1st Marine Division, in the lead, conducts amphibious landing at Inchon.
16 September U.S. Eighth Army begins its offensive northward out of the Pusan Perimeter.
20 September 1st Marine Division drives northeast across Han River.
26 September X Corps' 31st Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division, moving east from Inchon, links up with Eighth Army's 7th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division, south of Suwon.
27 September U.S. and Republic of Korea (ROK) forces capture Seoul, the South Korean capital.
1 October ROK I Corps crosses 38th Parallel and then advances up the east coast.
6-7 October Two ROK II Corps divisions cross 38th Parallel in central Korea.
9 October U.S. Eighth Army forces cross 38th Parallel north of Kaesong and attack northward toward P'yongyang, the North Korean capital.
10 October ROK I Corps captures the major port of Wonsan.
14-17 October 7th Infantry Division loads on ships at Pusan in preparation for amphibious landings by X Corps along the northeastern coast above the 38th Parallel.
19 October 1st ROK Division and U.S. 1st Cavalry Division capture P'yongyang.
25 October Communist Chinese Forces (CCF) offensive operations begin north of Unsan with fighting between CCF and ROK forces; first Chinese soldier is captured.
26 October 1st Marine Division, X Corps, lands at Wonsan. ROK forces reach the Yalu River at Chosan.
29 October U.S. 7th Division lands at Iwon.
1-2 November First U.S. battle with CCF, near Unsan.

Phase 3: 3 November 1950-24 January 1951
(CCF INTERVENTION)

CCF Intervention, 1950-51 Streamer
3-6 November Communist Chinese Forces (CCF) offensive continues in Eighth Army and X Corps zones.
11 November X Corps resumes advance north.
24 November Eighth Army moves north from the Chongchon River.
25 November Chinese forces attack Eighth Army center and right.
27 November X Corps attacks from west in support of Eighth Army; Chinese forces strike X Corps at Chosin Reservoir.
29 November Eighth Army begins general withdrawal from Chongchon River line to defensive line at P'yongyang.
29 November-1 December Chinese forces devastate U.S. 2d Infantry Division as it guards Eighth Army withdrawal.
30 November X Corps starts retreat to port of Hungnam.
5 December Eighth Army falls back from P'yongyang.
11-24 December X Corps loads on ships for evacuation to Pusan; General Almond sails on Christmas Eve.
23 December General Walker is killed in auto accident north of Seoul.
26 December Lt. Gen. Matthew B. Ridgway arrives in Korea as Eighth Army commander.
31 December-5 January New CCF offensive begins.