CM KOREA 1950 MOD

3 hours ago, Vacillator said:

How I dislike your taste for infantry action Phil.  We all know tanks are better 😉.  Remember the Tank Museum...

I have been using ASL game "counters" and the ASL rule book as a way to know if my fake lobster is apples to apples.

Using the Jackson to stand in for the M26 is a very bad batch of fake lobster. Apricots to watermelons.

I have heard that any decade now BFC will get the CMFB module released and there is a chance it might even have an M26.

At that point, I guess I could cross-pollinate the Korea Mod over to CMFB to have some armor action. Or for you, armour action...

Gary and I are in day 2 of playing the VASL scenario of Patton's Ghost against each other right now. He is the US with 3 Easy Eights and a company plus of infantry with MMG's and some Super Bazookas. I am the NKPA trying to block him from getting through "Osan"...and I have two T-34/85 and an AT gun & a mortar plus a few platoons of infantry with a Maxim. 

This is the CM scenario we will do here as a DAR sometime very soon...

This scenario has availability of "suicide heroes" for the NK side. Based on the number of squads in my OOB, I have a chance to get up to four "suicide heroes"...

Like just about everything in ASL, I must roll 2d6 and get below a certain number.

My first attempt had a successful roll to use one but he was nailed by snake-eyes roll of my opponent in defensive fire. He made it the first hex. 

In CM, I will try to use fanatical breach teams...

18 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

he was nailed by snake-eyes roll

In one of my first human-to-human plays of ASL many years ago (using 1/300th metal miniature tanks on the ASL boards), I was advancing a Panther when my opponent fired with his T34/76 head-on at a fair old range.  He rolled snake eyes and my Panther was no more.  Will never forget that.  Of course in CM it would only have disabled my main gun 😉.

1 hour ago, Vacillator said:

human-to-human plays of ASL many years ago

I have never done that so far - the face to face. Gary and I play online as a VASL module within Vassal and talk via Discord. I think 36 battles so far. I am 12 wins and 24 losses. It is a ton of fun. Often we double-format it with a VASL battle and then my attempt to make the corresponding CM version as a PBEM. Maybe 6 or 7 times we have done that.

59 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

I have never done that so far - the face to face

It certainly helps to have a good supply of beer in the fridge.  But I know that's not a problem for you Phil 😄.

As for translating ASL into CM, why not and I've seen first hand against you that it works well.

Once again I will beat the drum to ask if anybody out there would like to be involved in this mod...please PM me.

I am using some items passed to me by @LongLeftFlank - - -so I really appreciate what he has done or gathered or cobbled together previously. For example, he already had some asian soldier skins (faces). I tried to make 1 but it is acting oddly. :(

I am making Korean voice files from watching some Korean movies and television shows! It is a process to sit and record and then edit and amplify and test. I am doing my best "Alan Parsons Project"...

In Blender, I am having fun trying to make this "Korean Stick Grenade pouch" as an item of gear. The german stick grenades are scaled to look like Korean stick grenades. I change the art also. They go in a pouch. It is showing in the game! Needs a little repositioning.

I am still trying to make a better KPA cap. It just takes time.

I do have some more flavor objects to make as [korea] versions...

This Friday I will fight the PBEM battle and do a DAR with screenshots and TM goofy humor.  ---maybe with some video clips!

I had a blast playing that PBEM. Hearing my scrounged up set of Korean voices, seeing all the UI changes and names and uniforms. The uniforms went from a C- to a B+ as I tweaked the bmp's. I can do a few more tweaks to them I suppose. 

Gary and I will play some more Korean ASL starting tonight. I have a few candidates for transformation over to the CM world. I do have one FRANCE 1940 scenario to knock out first.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you want to see a Korean War movie made by the North Koreans here is a great one!

Warrior's Oath (Part 2)

Link at the bottom. It starts at 3:19:36

20-in-prog.png

It is free. No commercials. No English subtitles but it does have Korean subtitles and you can use your phone with google lens to translate the subtitles. But the story is very easy to follow even without language skills! It could be the plot of a Hollywood WW2 movie. Hero, woman, the war, etc.

It is part of an entire day of North Korean TV broadcasting. So try to get right to the time of 3:19:36

I stumbled upon it looking for Korean voices for the mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlU9Q_KPiw0

My absolute favorite part must be the coconut sound effect when the NKPA hero slams a US Army soldier's head (in his helmet) twice against a tank. KONK!! - - - KONK!!

Edited by kohlenklau

17 minutes ago, Erwin said:

#5 present...

Thanks Tony. I don't know WHO exactly has an interest in my mod for the Korean War...but Gary and I are sure having a blast. I now remember you just play against the AI so if you want to try this mod, let me know and I will try and cobble something together for Single Player. :D

Am very much looking forward to your Korea mod as well as your other amazing early war and NA mods.  I just got back after 8 month travels and unfortunately have so much to catch up on b4 I can focus on playing anything.   But, know that what you are doing is much appreciated by many more than the few who post here.  Have enjoyed playing H2H but my schedule makes it hard to be a reliable/regular oppo.  So, yes, plz cobble some single player... but only when you have time.

Thank you yet again, Phil.

10 minutes ago, Bearstronaut said:

The small sign in between the two windows is backwards. 

Also, it's funny that the other sign just says "Red Pepper Paste".

I had eventually realized it was backwards and corrected it. Thanks.

Yes, I just grabbed it off of a label I found online! :D

Are you fluent in Korean? I need a few specific voice recordings! Please help

19 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

I had eventually realized it was backwards and corrected it. Thanks.

Yes, I just grabbed it off of a label I found online! :D

Are you fluent in Korean? I need a few specific voice recordings! Please help

I am fluent but I'm not a native speaker and my accent definitely doesn't sound North Korea.

12 minutes ago, Bearstronaut said:

I am fluent but I'm not a native speaker and my accent definitely doesn't sound North Korea.

ok, so let me try to say this in a funny way!

You are here to point out anything that you see is wrong but have no ability or offer to assist. Got it! :D

If you could help, that would be really appreciated. PM me I guess.

~~~~~~~

Honestly I am doing this all on a zero budget and my cobbled together set of Korean voice files will make a fluent speaker of Korean probably have a chuckle but for everybody else it will be perfectly fine. I take a lot of time to record them from various war movies and then use software to isolate specific words and make a separate wav file and then amplify that file, make sure it matches to what is best in the game. I then have to populate the current set of voices in the mod and rename and add the modtag. A big pain but I am almost done. After that my only worry is to try my best to not have a non-Korean phrase leak through by a renaming error. 

best wishes

Phil