The Buffalo Soldiers' Ordeal [all modules needed]

k7AFxkJ.jpg

Hello fellow CMFIers,
I’ve just finished compiling my second campaign (battle series) called “The Buffalo Soldiers’ Ordeal” (all modules needed). It is a battle series that includes a prologue and 8 scenarios aiming to reproduce some of the events that took place on the western edge of the Gothic Line from 8 to 10 February 1945, during Operation Fourth Term.
The nine battles (to be used in conjunction with @kohlenklau's Buffalo mod) are:
0.    Prologue (Sommocolonia)
1.    Raiders on Highway One
2.    Strettoia
3.    Ordeal on the Plains
4.    Kesselring’s Ghosts
5.    Assault on Monte Folgorito
6.    Pushing to the Top
7.    Georgia on My Mind
8.    Castel Aghinolfi

Here are some pics to whet your appetite.

DQUMMyD.png

GG4Rv1i.png

jtY6W3Y.png

It is currently in a “pre-alpha” state and I’ll be soon testing it myself for the first time. It would be great if a couple of other players could test it as well. I’d just need to know some very general things, such as:
-    Is the battle too  short / too long? Map too big / too small?
-    Too many / too few troops?
-    Too easy / too difficult?
-    Any obvious mistakes?
-    General impressions / improvements suggested?
-    Etc.

It is a historical campaign but I'd still like it to be as enjoyable as possible. Drop me a line if interested.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Malaspina,

You're out of luck, timing is terrible! There are not so many users-made campaigns released these days, and WimO just released his final masterpiece early this morning - several of us are already engaged to playtest it...

After I'm done with it, I'll gladly test yours with my newbie's eyes, but this will not probably happen before weeks as WimO's campaign's pretty long!

Ciao!

1 hour ago, Malaspina said:

No big deal. This can wait. If there are no playtesters it means there are even fewer people playing this game. So who cares.

I"m wondering the percentage of active players who wander on the forum...

Anyway, you can still provide a download link. I at least can have an early look at the briefings (campaign and first scenario)!

Edited by PEB14

4 hours ago, Malaspina said:

No big deal. This can wait. If there are no playtesters it means there are even fewer people playing this game. So who cares.

It is like making a big salad and a lasagna and nobody wants to swing by for lunch. 

PM me the link and I will do your tests.

very general things, such as:
-    Is the battle too  short / too long? Map too big / too small?
-    Too many / too few troops?
-    Too easy / too difficult?
-    Any obvious mistakes?
-    General impressions / improvements suggested?
-    Etc.

On 3/19/2023 at 8:47 AM, Malaspina said:

Hey @kohlenklau@Vacillator. You're the best. You already have a million things to do...

I realised I have a small problem.  I moved all 6GB (!) of CMFI mods out of 'Z' to allow a 'clash-free' install of Phil's France mods.  This of course included the [buffalo] files.  I'll swap them back, but maybe first check the [buffalo] files are up to date.

Edit:  My wife is not out of town, so no empty beer bottles here - apart from hers 😂.

Edited by Vacillator

I started the battle series last night and am keeping a text file of my observations and comments and suggestions (if any - "my 2 cents" type stuff). 

My initial impressions!

No spoilers at all. Just comments to boost up interest and thank the designer. :D

Looks like a lot of work went into the maps. I like them. I lived in Italy for about 6 years so I do love Italy and seeing these Italy maps. Great looking maps. Rich in detail. 

I see and appreciate the research done in the scenario battle briefings. Good details and references. Immerses the player!

[buffalo] mod is so so. I did it so I can criticize it, right? I did the faces to be all black soldiers.  (PRIZE: A free Kohlenklau mousepad or coffee mug to anyone who correctly names all the black guys I used to model/make the new faces!.) I think it also needs some UI mods which I can do (EDIT: I now see I ALREADY did 1 UI mod but just added another. ) but I wish I had the time to do a complete mod of u.s. voices. I thought of HOW I would do it. I could do a very small scope mod of the voices. I will not promise I will but I think I might knock it out over the next few months. 

so far, some battles are short and many are long(er) so it should satisfy a wide range of tastes for battle length

It uses some vehicles I had never messed with before. Sherman crab! Not really a spoiler I think.

That is all for now.

~Phil

Edited by kohlenklau

40 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

It uses some vehicles I had never messed with before. Sherman crab!

In my very early CM days I set up a QB against the AI and the AI turned up to the battle with 12 Sherman Crabs and very little else 😂.  Made very short work of them, I think with a Jagdpanther, partly as their turrets were all facing backwards 😆.

35 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Because the Crabs won't work in mine clearing mode if the gun is facing forwards.

Indeed.  But it was rather odd that all 12 trundled up the road in convoy in mine clearing mode and there were no mines on the battlefield.  I suppose they weren't to know that.

43 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Indeed.  But it was rather odd that all 12 trundled up the road in convoy in mine clearing mode and there were no mines on the battlefield.  I suppose they weren't to know that.

QB should be P&P and be careful what you select.

3 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

I don't play QBs any more, but that one was of course Human Axis selection versus AI Allied selection (for an element of surprise).

QB have their functions but the AI is not one of them. I too was caught in the beginning thought it gave the customers an infinite number of games against the AI.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

this still available?

@Malaspina is your man for this, although I have a copy that he sent me if need be.  To my enduring shame (sorry Enrico!) I didn't get much game time on it, but what I did see looked great (I played mission 0 which was a pretty unique experience 👍, and part of 1 but why didn't I finish it, who knows?).  I think I'm seeing a theme with myself there 🫣.

3 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

@Malaspina is your man for this, although I have a copy that he sent me if need be.  To my enduring shame (sorry Enrico!) I didn't get much game time on it, but what I did see looked great (I played mission 0 which was a pretty unique experience 👍, and part of 1 but why didn't I finish it, who knows?).  I think I'm seeing a theme with myself there 🫣.

Mind sending it to me? I'd like to try this one out