Operation Boston - Objectie La Fiere enters final playtest today

WimO

I have completed revising and play-testing all the scenarios individually and have compiled them  into campaign format. Today I begin testing the campaign to determine if the Refit, Repair, Resupply and Rest rates that I have set, are workable from one action to the next. I'm assuming I'll have to play through a few times and be busy a few more weeks.

6 hours ago, WimO said:

I have completed revising and play-testing all the scenarios individually and have compiled them  into campaign format. Today I begin testing the campaign to determine if the Refit, Repair, Resupply and Rest rates that I have set, are workable from one action to the next. I'm assuming I'll have to play through a few times and be busy a few more weeks.

Excellent Wim, great news that frustration didn't win the day.  I can do some testing, or play H2H if it helps.

32 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Excellent Wim, great news that frustration didn't win the day.  I can do some testing, or play H2H if it helps.

I can do some testing also. If you need a newbie to do all the mistakes that should be avoided, I'll be the one!  😜

I want to thank you all for offering to play-test. I spent many hours testing over the past two weeks before compiling into a campaign. As a result, the only thing being tested is the flow-through of the 4Rs, Refit, Repair, Resupply, and Rest. At this point the campaign is playing really well. Just had a very suspenseful "No Better Place to Die" with the survivors of "Angriffe der Grenadiere".  After I've done a first complete play-through and fixed the odd typo and mod-tag I'll be very happy to send it to the three of your first for a test before posting.  But be forwarned, since this campaign tries to be historical and present players with some of the real problems of maneouvre before action, it's not all combat. In fact two of the large to huge scenarios are about avoiding contact rather than fighting. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Hi folks. I played through the whole campaign and found that it runs okay with the right amount of tension and risk. It is winnable and losable and also provides opportunities to alter history. It will not be to everyone's liking because some scenarios are more about contact avoidance, some require a lot of traffic management and nearly all require patience to endure the calm before the storm.

I decided to post it right away and not delay any longer so that I can retire from CM and move on to other things. 

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Hope you haven't burned out. Your contributions have been much appreciated.  

Burned out and tired of playing a game that I love for the game mechanics and ability to create, but am starting to dislike strongly due to outdated graphics and humbugs. I've grown tired of my favourite game. When I look at the other WWII games coming out these days, it leaves me drooling with envy with respect to their visuals but disappointed that they don't play like CM. Might go back to flying Wings over Flanders Fields Between Heaven and Hell which is a great example of what can be done by modders layering a new game over an old engine.

Be warned that I spent rather a lot of money trying to find a game that fulfilled all the itches that the CMx2 engine scratches. There really is nothing like this game - there are better games/sims but they don't have editors that allow you to recreate real world locations and then fight on them, to script the AI rather than have a generic AI that just rushes at you.

However, if you are looking for games that are 'better' in some respects, Microprose's Regiments is the biz. Less work to get into than the Eugen series of games as you don't create 'decks'. And I'm waiting for 'Age of Wonders 4' to drop in a few weeks time. I expect I'll spend some time each day playing that.

Creating maps, missions and campaigns with all the associated artwork and research is an enormous amount of work for one guy. Thank God I never tried modding as that sounds like a major time sink in itself. It's good to take a break from time to time and play something else - I'm feeling the burn as I playtest the final mission in my 'new' campaign because I haven't played anything else since  getting back into this - not even Mah Jong. However, my 'burn' is an impatience to get started on a new CM project. :D

I have downloaded the campaign and took a short look. Very impressive👍🏻

It‘s a shame to see you leaving CM after releasing such a great project.

But I can understand you. While I never ever have come near something like „burnout“ in real life, profession etc., during the making of huge campaigns this feeling of „burning“ comes slowly in minds. In my opinion the cause is you as the creator are not able to see the end of your work when you are sitting endless hours to fill a map sector of 200x200m with life. Putting in the flavour objects is the most dangerous part for myself, kind of a nightmare if you have to do it for a whole village or something else 🤪

At the end, I think the best way to

stay motivated and 

avoid burning out is to make (for example) Mini-Campaigns of 3-4 single missions…not too complicated and you are able to see the „end of the tunnel“. 

Regards

Mr.X

You will be back, Wim. 😀And perhaps then you can try to make scenarios/campaigns for the Eastern front, instead of 'eternal'normandy. So many interesting subjects there still, like Courland, Eastern Prussia and other more balanced battlefields. CMRT is too heavy concentrated on Berlin, I  think, which was not much more than a massacre, which doesn't fascinate me in the least.

Talented people like you simply can't be missed at this forum. Pull yourself together, man! 🙂

Edited by Aragorn2002

19 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

You will be back, Wim. 😀And perhaps then you can try to make scenarios/campaigns for the Eastern front, instead of 'eternal'normandy. So many interesting subjects there still, like Courland, Eastern Prussia and other more balanced battlefields. CMRT is too heavy concentrated on Berlin, I  think, which was not much more than a massacre, which doesn't fascinate me in the least.

Talented people like you simply can't be missed at this forum. Pull yourself together, man! 🙂

Exaclty Wim everybodys come back to CM forum this is your cup of tea, but more your newspaper daily that you cannot avoid to read ,if you cannot read more, we can also spend a glasses and send to you in the Big North, (just joking) have a good days guy, more peoples have already saying is better to leave now but look Paper Tiger come back after a while, and is very present now, on the forum like before, and with all yours splendide scen maps and mods you are already here a Star you will come back later with some news ideas.

(veel geluk in u leven en denk aan ons op het forum, we zullen aan u denken als we gebruik u maken in the CMMODs,) en francais c est la meme chose 😊 🍻 🍀!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...