Is BP "Cat and Mouse" bugged as PBEM?

rocketman

Has anyone been able to start this scenario as a PBEM and not getting a corrupted file before the actual scenario starts? Me and my PBEM partner has tried two times now and I did a start of the scenario as a PBEM without sharing the first file and there is something off.

If I'm correct - the order of files/actions is as follows in a PBEM:

1. Person A starts PBEM and generate 001 as his password turn
  2. Person B gets 001 and does his password turn and generete 002
  3. Person A gets 002 and does his setup and generate 003
  4. Person B gets 003 and does his setup and generate 004
  5. Person A views the action of the first turn (004), makes his moves, and generate 005
  6. Person B views the action of the first turn (004), makes his moves, and generate 006
  7. and so on....

To me it seems like this scenario for some weird reson messes up the first step so that some kind of corruption occurs. The password stage doesn't occur immediately in step 1+2 but only generates save files.

Never encountered anything like this before and can't understand what is specific about this scenario.

Both me and my playing partner use CM Helper (but have other games ongoing without other people without a hitch) and we have the latest patch and we both have the battle pass and Fire & Rubble. Both on PC.

Paging @George MC as I understand you are the scenario maker.

Are ema-files worth sending for analysis?

17 hours ago, rocketman said:

Has anyone been able to start this scenario as a PBEM and not getting a corrupted file before the actual scenario starts? Me and my PBEM partner has tried two times now and I did a start of the scenario as a PBEM without sharing the first file and there is something off.

If I'm correct - the order of files/actions is as follows in a PBEM:

1. Person A starts PBEM and generate 001 as his password turn
  2. Person B gets 001 and does his password turn and generete 002
  3. Person A gets 002 and does his setup and generate 003
  4. Person B gets 003 and does his setup and generate 004
  5. Person A views the action of the first turn (004), makes his moves, and generate 005
  6. Person B views the action of the first turn (004), makes his moves, and generate 006
  7. and so on....

To me it seems like this scenario for some weird reson messes up the first step so that some kind of corruption occurs. The password stage doesn't occur immediately in step 1+2 but only generates save files.

Never encountered anything like this before and can't understand what is specific about this scenario.

Both me and my playing partner use CM Helper (but have other games ongoing without other people without a hitch) and we have the latest patch and we both have the battle pass and Fire & Rubble. Both on PC.

Paging @George MC as I understand you are the scenario maker.

Are ema-files worth sending for analysis?

Ah bummer - nothing more frustrating!

Okay - I've just set-up a PBEM and played to seven turns with no issues. Files created, exchanged and played. This was done on my own PC. Sp does not look like there is an issue with the actual BP scenario.

However I'm not sure what the issue might be. My advice would be to double check and confirm you are both using same game engine version; oh and yank all mods out from your games and try without mods (sometimes issues can be caused by mods).

It's a huge map so could be the issue is one or other machine not coping with processing the turn.

In anycase this is more an issue for @BFCElvis who I'm sure will have greater insight. In that regard might also be worth filing a tech support ticket?

Cheery!

19 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

My first turn in response to Dave's initial turn asked me to put in a password and return.  For the next turn, I had to put in my pasword and I'm now in the game proper.  Let the  tank fun commence 😉.

So, have you passed through setup and played a proper turn? In the setup phase for the German (starting) side the file from the Soviet side was corrupted.

Edited by rocketman

1 hour ago, rocketman said:

passed through setup and played a proper turn

Give me a few minutes (I'm eating a turkey, ham and cranberry pie 😋) and I should have the first 'proper' turn done.  I'll be back shortly with an answer...

EDIT:  First proper Soviet turn completed and saved, now on Dropbox.

Edited by Vacillator

4 hours ago, George MC said:

However I'm not sure what the issue might be. My advice would be to double check and confirm you are both using same game engine version; oh and yank all mods out from your games and try without mods (sometimes issues can be caused by mods).

In anycase this is more an issue for @BFCElvis who I'm sure will have greater insight. In that regard might also be worth filing a tech support ticket?

Cheery!

That was my first thought when I saw the screenshots. Over the years I have seen all manner of odd things happen from mods. Things you would never expect were related. It took a while of trying to figure out an issue before I would start with "remove all mods" and, when that fixed more problems than it didn't, it because my opening suggestions.

59 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

That was my first thought when I saw the screenshots. Over the years I have seen all manner of odd things happen from mods. Things you would never expect were related. It took a while of trying to figure out an issue before I would start with "remove all mods" and, when that fixed more problems than it didn't, it because my opening suggestions.

I can check without mods. But the first "turn" doesn't load the scenario, so I can't see how mods would mess things up then. It is just a popup with setting password and then you save. It is that step that I showed in the screenshot and is a deviation from how it usually is.

One question: did the patch contain any changes to how files are saved in PBEM games in preparation for the eventual Matrix release and their PBEM system? I have never had anything like this happen before in any game and this happened after the patch.

Edited by rocketman

20 minutes ago, rocketman said:

I can check without mods. But the first "turn" doesn't load the scenario, so I can't see how mods would mess things up then. It is just a popup with setting password and then you save. It is that step that I showed in the screenshot and is a deviation from how it usually is.

As I said, I have seen mods do all sorts of wild things. Even, as my last post says "Things you would never expect were related. " That said, if you want to take a deeper dive let's open a Help Desk ticket and see if we can sort this out. Especially if removing the mods doesn't clear it up. Happy to help any way I can.

One question: did the patch contain any changes to how files are saved in PBEM games in preparation for the eventual Matrix release and their PBEM system? I have never had anything like this happen before in any game and this happened after the patch.

No. Not yet anyway. The next one will as it will contain PBEM++ and the tournament feature. But nothing in the v2.12 PBEM was touched that I am aware of.

I have seen this before in Fortress Italy but curiously only when I set up a PBEM as Allies. You should be able to just play through it by sending the file as is. He enters his password and sets up then returns the file and you enter your password and set up. Then it should play as normal with you as the second player.

I just returned my turn 005 to Tim, with no issues. Did my initial first moves. I think we're good. I did have that initial turn nothingness, so it was like my second turn was what I'm used to for the first. So I'm not sure what the problem could be. It's working fine it seems.  I'm using CM Helper on my end and have no problems.

Dave

Edited by Ultradave

15 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

As I said, I have seen mods do all sorts of wild things. Even, as my last post says "Things you would never expect were related. " That said, if you want to take a deeper dive let's open a Help Desk ticket and see if we can sort this out. Especially if removing the mods doesn't clear it up. Happy to help any way I can.

No. Not yet anyway. The next one will as it will contain PBEM++ and the tournament feature. But nothing in the v2.12 PBEM was touched that I am aware of.

Cool, thanks for helping. I will try to create a first save that skips the password prompt without any mods loaded and we can use that as the basis for a ticket. Unfortunately, I don't have the corrupted file as I deleted it when we tried to start the scenario again I didn't want Dropbox-folder (use CM Helper) with the same name. Tried to use Dropbox feature to resurrect recently deleted files but can't get it to work.

28 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

I just returned my turn 005 to Tim, with no issues. Did my initial first moves. I think we're good.

Affirmative, all working so far and 006 returned.  Now to have my *** handed to me 😱.

FWIW I'm on PC and have not removed any of my vast plethora of mods (but mine are obviously not the same collection as yours). Dave is on a Mac, not sure about his mods but I think he normally runs 'clean'. 

It is a big map and for me takes a while to load, but once in seems fine and is the usual quality we know and love from @George MC

38 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Affirmative, all working so far and 006 returned.  Now to have my *** handed to me 😱.

FWIW I'm on PC and have not removed any of my vast plethora of mods (but mine are obviously not the same collection as yours). Dave is on a Mac, not sure about his mods but I think he normally runs 'clean'. 

It is a big map and for me takes a while to load, but once in seems fine and is the usual quality we know and love from @George MC

Actually my RT has a bunch of mods, now that there is no RT testing going on. No issues.

Dave

On 12/13/2022 at 5:14 PM, BFCElvis said:

Now I have a save of a first "turn" (without mods) that doesn't show a password prompt. Analyzing this save might reveal a cause for future corrupted files. The save is started by the German side, but I get the same with starting as Soviets. Should I open a help desk ticket or send the save to you?

17 minutes ago, rocketman said:

Now I have a save of a first "turn" (without mods) that doesn't show a password prompt. Analyzing this save might reveal a cause for future corrupted files. The save is started by the German side, but I get the same with starting as Soviets. Should I open a help desk ticket or send the save to you?

Sure, open a ticket and I can get more information from you and run it up the chain of command. Thanks for yanking the mods and trying it. Right now, it definitely appears to be somefink specific to your system.