How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/as-the-ukraine-war-enters-a-third-year-putin-waits-for-western-support-for-kyiv-to-wither-1.6775604

Ignoring the Orange Elephant in the room (seriously let’s not go down that road again).  I found this was a pretty balanced assessment of where things stand as we go into Yr 3.  I think we have been missing Ukrainian strategic strikes and their impact on the overall narratives.  I was really tracking just how much these are adding up.  I have a growing sense that ‘24 will be a “hold the line” year for the ground war, while the strategic strike war may ramp up as continual painful kidney punches begin to add up.  

10 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

His body has probably already been cremated to prevent forensics. Just like Osama Bin Laden was "buried at sea" so nobody could check the official narrative.

Which would be even more ironic, since Orthodox church forbids cremation. They didn't even informed family what is happening with remains, and this older woman is already being ping-ponged between various facilities where nobody knows anything, over hundreds of kms of Syberian landscape in winter. This is quite symbolic and likely intended. If I'd be greporter  writing a book about modern Russia, it would start with this scene...

Edited by Beleg85

4 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/as-the-ukraine-war-enters-a-third-year-putin-waits-for-western-support-for-kyiv-to-wither-1.6775604

Ignoring the Orange Elephant in the room (seriously let’s not go down that road again).  I found this was a pretty balanced assessment of where things stand as we go into Yr 3.  I think we have been missing Ukrainian strategic strikes and their impact on the overall narratives.  I was really tracking just how much these are adding up.  I have a growing sense that ‘24 will be a “hold the line” year for the ground war, while the strategic strike war may ramp up as continual painful kidney punches begin to add up.  

Yup, and I expect the BSF will start to wither on the vine. 

It'll be quite the Revolution in Naval Affairs if the UKR Navy is able to blockade the BSF in port. 

There is an article on tagesschau.de regarding Taurus:

https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/taurus-ukraine-strack-zimmermann-100.html

Translated excerpt:

According to Strack-Zimmermann, the government parliamentary groups are demanding in their motion the delivery of weapons systems that "enable Ukraine to carry out targeted attacks on strategically relevant targets far to the rear of the Russian aggressor in accordance with international law" - but they do not literally mention "Taurus". Strack-Zimmermann emphasised that "for us Free Democrats [FDP], these weapons systems can only mean 'Taurus' cruise missiles".

Strack-Zimmermann was particularly confrontational with the Social Democrats and Federal Chancellor Olaf Scholz (SPD). "Explicitly mentioning Taurus failed due to the SPD parliamentary group leadership and the stubbornness of the chancellor's office," she said.

Edited by Butschi

Those UKR jet drones are UK supplied (if you weren't already aware). I assume each one carries a micro-clone of Boris Johnson. They don't do anything, but fun to watch them cackling across the sky, like floppy haired gremlins. 

https://en.defence-ua.com/weapon_and_tech/ukraine_utilizes_british_qinetiq_banshee_jet_80_uavs_as_long_range_kamikaze_drones-9571.html

68c65d36a5a5ac77.jpg

A notable detail in this video that’s gone viral this morning is that every single drone feed shows that each on is down to about 3% of power. It’s a fair guess that the Russians imagined this warehouse to be beyond the range of FPV: 

2 hours ago, The_Capt said:

That makes the strike much higher value.  An entire Bde might only have one or two of these.  They are more specialized equipment that directly impact the RAs ability to sustain its fleets through battlefield recovery.  While another AFV…is just another AFV, no matter how sexy.

Also, any pending attack in Zaporizhia will need every one of those. That area is heavily mined on both sides. 

Murz posted comment of his colleague

I do not know if you understood what Murz wrote - but he very clearly formulated what everyone here feels with his liver [very clearly]. The withdrawal of enemy troops from Avdiivka is the sole right decision, given the "jumps" of the RU on Avdiivka, made on the principle of "make everything  ready for the elections, otherwise they will scold [us]." Such attacks are a consequence of the absence of testosterone eggs deficiency in individuals who are called upon to report to the top about the incorrectness of decisions made. Although, I am absolutely sure, there are [some] worthy commanders. But that's not what we're talking about.
I will translate from Murz [speak] to the generally accepted one, although everything is clear to those who are here.

[They - UKR] gave us Avdiivka. The combat-ready enemy units retreated to the defensive lines prepared in advance. The enemy was not destroyed or drained of blood [here means reserves] or weakened. The equipment was not destroyed. The enemy left without asking us, [but lukcily for us] just without [us] giving them an iPhones, in the best traditions [of Azov defender release].

The degenerates reported that we are continue to offense (in the area of the second or third echelons of defense, which were built for 8 years) but without supply routes for our own troops?. It is like - the enemy is running, let kick him the back more! And God forbids he stops, we will tear the poor wretches apart due to our kindness…

Now the facts.
The Novogrodovka-Progress-Ocheretino defense line has been built by Ukrainian troops since the beginning of the fighting for Donetsk in 2014. Retreating there does not make the troops in AFU vulnerable in any way. They were vulnerable on the way there, but how much do we see the burned columns of Ukrainians?.. Non. Why? Because there was no isolation of the battlefield until the last minutes of the battles. The enemy could move fully and freely to Avdiivka, Lastochkino, Tonenkoe..

Can we move far forward and beat the fleeing non-brothers till Kiev? No, we can't. There are no roads. And there are no engineering services capable of solving this problem. Or rather, they are somewhere [else] - but that is very far away. I haven't seen any [here]. ["Far away and haven't see any [here]" usualy implies nothing of sorts exists] 
The task "go and get a foothold" is being condacted on personal enthusiasm. Until recently, ammo, food and water were delivered by caravans of people dragging 20-50 kilograms on their own hump. Calculate the distance to the Chemist [Avdiivka urban zone] yourself.

Well, now, knowing these facts, re-read what Murz wrote again. Not about losses – you cannot do anything about death, but about those who allowed these deaths. They will with a probability of 146% will be promoted. Think about who is lying to you and whom you can listen to [and trust]. And then draw [you own] conclusions.

Where are the long-range mining systems? Where is the long-range reconnaissance? Where are the POWs, ****?.. Surprise, promptness, coordination?

Oh yes, the 17th [election] is close. A small victorious operation. It is being felt very clearly in Donbas. There is an ominous spirit of [under the table] agreement in the air. [Under the table agreement is RU Nat conspiracy that Kremlin wants to sell L-DPR to UKR in exchange of end of war]

[EDIT] Funny story: Murz earlier declared that unless some RU propagandists (from the Guardians faction that badmouth him for several days) met his demands, he would publish the paper of the soldier (who attempted to submit it to the RU military prosecution office) today at 17:00. Guardians were ignoring him.

It is 18:12, and he is quiet. I'm really worried for him.

Edited by Grigb

30 minutes ago, Grigb said:

The Novogrodovka-Progress-Ocheretino defense line has been built by Ukrainian troops since the beginning of the fighting for Donetsk in 2014. Retreating there does not make the troops in AFU vulnerable in any way. They were vulnerable on the way there, but how much do we see the burned columns of Ukrainians?.. Non. Why? Because there was no isolation of the battlefield until the last minutes of the battles. The enemy could move fully and freely to Avdiivka, Lastochkino, Tonenkoe..

Apparently Murz and his friends do not share the view there are only weak fortifications behind Avdieyevka. In Polish military twitter this has been a common opinion, that there are and that  ZSU should have started making field fortifications all across the front at the latest in the late summer of 2023 and are now behind the curve.

1 minute ago, Maciej Zwolinski said:

Apparently Murz and his friends do not share the view there are only weak fortifications behind Avdieyevka. In Polish military twitter this has been a common opinion, that there are and that  ZSU should have started making field fortifications all across the front at the latest in the late summer of 2023 and are now behind the curve.

Unfortunately, I am unable to determine what fortifications UKR has there (if any), as reports from both sides are contradicting each other. Let's hope they do have something significant. 

On 2/18/2024 at 12:55 PM, Battlefront.com said:

The way to think of this is a juggler who keeps throwing another thing up into the air to juggle at once.  The more diverse the objects are in terms of size, grip, weight, etc. the more difficult it is to juggle.  Dropping a ball here or there might not matter, but if a chainsaw is thrown poorly and it comes down on the juggler's head, the show is over.

Steve

Best analogy ever! And I think there’s something wrong with me because I LOL for like 5 straight mins imagining this! 😄

6 minutes ago, dan/california said:

I have seen next to zero evidence of this anywhere else, did the NYT get played by a bad source?

That is typical click on me idiot bait. Most people don't follow things as observant like us. They only click if they have an emotional reaction to the (i don't know what is the right word) highlight of the article. I don't have any respect towards journalist of nowadays they are useless, don't do their job in society.

On 2/16/2024 at 9:53 PM, Maciej Zwolinski said:

I understand that but that is not the point.  The point is that in this case democracy has generated a situation where the executive branch of the governement is blocked from realising its preferred policy and in that sense, seems weak.

I am not offering any value judgements on the US constitutional system of checks and balances because I do not have enough knowledge of it. I also have not seen any evidence for longing for a Russian-type governement on this thread.

I am already regretting making that post. 

The issue's complicated beyond Ukraine -- it has to do with the U.S.'s southern border which is currently wide open and letting in millions of illegals, nevermind granting literal free entrance for hostile fifth columns if rivals wish to insert such a thing (spoiler: they do). Killing the value of American organized labor via cheap immigrants has been a distinct issue dating back to at least the early 1900s, it's just that nowadays the numbers are so high that leadership is having a hard time hiding it from the plebs. Pro-immigration propaganda is also running out of gas, as fifty years of stagnated wages isn't matching the rose-colored theories of the economists (the economists paid by the industrialists making the most buck off said migrants, what a shocker).

I think you and others are reaching the wrong conclusion in perceiving this as the Biden administration failing to get what they want. They're getting precisely what they want: an open border. Other matters are secondary to such an extent that they will be sacrificed for the primary. Ukraine is either collateral damage in this spat or the powers that be are using the topic to slowly navigate to an off-ramp, though this is a distinction without a difference if you're a Ukrainian in a trench somewhere.

7 minutes ago, FlemFire said:

The issue's complicated beyond Ukraine -- it has to do with the U.S.'s southern border which is currently wide open and letting in millions of illegals, nevermind granting literal free entrance for hostile fifth columns if rivals wish to insert such a thing (spoiler: they do). Killing the value of American organized labor via cheap immigrants has been a distinct issue dating back to at least the early 1900s, it's just that nowadays the numbers are so high that leadership is having a hard time hiding it from the plebs. Pro-immigration propaganda is also running out of gas, as fifty years of stagnated wages isn't matching the rose-colored theories of the economists (the economists paid by the industrialists making the most buck off said migrants, what a shocker).

I think you and others are reaching the wrong conclusion in perceiving this as the Biden administration failing to get what they want. They're getting precisely what they want: an open border. Other matters are secondary to such an extent that they will be sacrificed for the primary. Ukraine is either collateral damage in this spat or the powers that be are using the topic to slowly navigate to an off-ramp, though this is a distinction without a difference if you're a Ukrainian in a trench somewhere.

You make it sound like the border is a binary issue, which just plays into extremist talking points:

"Biden wants millions of brown trans rapists to cross the border because he is an evil person who hates white America - trump would shut it all down" 

Vs

"The fashists want to shoot Mexicans on sight so the solution is to not come up with any solution to the border because if bad people want something we should do the opposite "

Not helpful.