How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

1 hour ago, Butschi said:

As are horoscopes, homeopathy, brain storming meetings and tinfoil hats, just to name a few. Not because they are working but because some people believe they do. Or want to believe they do.

Then again, that might be a good reason to use polygraphs: the interviewee may believe the machine works which could give the interviewer an advantage.

whoa hold on there.  my tinfoil hat has stopped alien messages from infecting my brain.  prove it hasn't!  😎  👽

1 hour ago, Beleg85 said:

https://news.sky.com/story/jack-teixeira-leader-of-online-group-behind-us-military-document-leaks-is-national-guardsman-12856543

21 year old guy? Ok if he was "older, fatherly figure for them" I don't even want to know age of other members. Nor their avatars and why -most probably- there are anime girls on them.

It's so absurd, Hollywood must one day make a gag comedy on this case.

But seriously, I hope it will not postpone Ukrainian offensive because of this leak.

While I believe that especially during times like this where so much is on the line, "OG" should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

I do find it amusing that in the future when historians will write serious history books about the war that will forever change the direction of the 21st century. They will briefly need to mention what Minecraft is, as well as a Discord channel called "Thug Shaker Central". What an era we live in. 😕

Edited by Harmon Rabb

7 minutes ago, Maciej Zwolinski said:

This was a Minecraft server. The game 5-year olds play.

I think original group was slightly more serious and connected to FPS gaming, hell broke out when documents were put on some outside Minecraft group by one of members. Still they hang there for a long time- not strange, given how Discord works and how much stuff remain simply scrolled up and unnoticed there.

Given that Thug Shaker Central seems to be new Cambridge Five, if tendency of banalziation of everytihng in XXI cent. keep up in this pace, next generation's leaks will likely be made by 5-year's old kids. Baby's Day Out or something similar.

12 minutes ago, Maciej Zwolinski said:

This was a Minecraft server. The game 5-year olds play.

No, this was a private discord server for teen / young adult gamers who were into racism and guns.  The apparent leaker was the admin. Some of the material made it from there to a Minecraft server.

Edited by akd

45 minutes ago, Beleg85 said:

https://news.sky.com/story/jack-teixeira-leader-of-online-group-behind-us-military-document-leaks-is-national-guardsman-12856543

21 year old guy? Ok if he was "older, fatherly figure for them" I don't even want to know age of other members. Nor their avatars and why -most probably- there are anime girls on them.

It's so absurd, Hollywood must one day make a gag comedy on this case.

But seriously, I hope it will not postpone Ukrainian offensive because of this leak.

A propos completelly nothing:

Fitting music choice 😉

5 minutes ago, akd said:

No, this was a private discord server for teen / young adult gamers who were into racism and guns.  The apparent leaker was the admin. Some of the material made it from there to a Minecraft server.

But if someone copied it to the Minecraft server, at least one of the first Discord group members was a Minecraft player, right?

26 minutes ago, kraze said:

Of course I doubt russians would post a real skull on a photo (and they didn't). In fact image itself is not important. What's important is that it's an absolutely legit russian shop.

However the fallout is massive enough that the shop went into full damage control and locked down their website. "We got hacked", "somebody wants to create a negative image of Russia" (like anyone really needs to do it at this point) you know the drill.

https://gifts-luxury.ru/maintenance/

Yeah who would have expected that, eh? ;)

Its fitting as it put the same ignorance on display that we’ve got as a theme here the last few days with info about who turned out to be the leaker of the secret docs.

:D

1 hour ago, Jiggathebauce said:

Amazing that a world power is being humiliated by a kid in the air national guard who liked to share documents with teenage kids, the kind of teenage kids who think it's funny to say the N word with a hard -ER and other slurs. 

A key reason why I despise certain gamers, particularly the Eugen Wargame community and prefer the folks at Battlefront who are at least, folks who act like adults

Easy there man. I happen to like Eugens games and I am sure others here do as well.

You’re overly generalizing here. Wood, nails and hammer; the box has been crafted. 

46 minutes ago, sburke said:

whoa hold on there.  my tinfoil hat has stopped alien messages from infecting my brain.  prove it hasn't!  😎  👽

I think everyone in this forum can truthfully state that your brain especially shows disturbingly many odd signs,  which has a statistically insignificant  probability of being a unaffected human brain. ;)

Edited by Yet
;)

47 minutes ago, Yskonyn said:

Easy there man. I happen to like Eugens games and I am sure others here do as well.

You’re overly generalizing here. Wood, nails and hammer; the box has been crafted. 

I like Eugen's games, particularly their new cold war one that's in early access. Sometimes i prefer something a bit more fast-paced and eye candy, which is exactly what itch their titles scratch compared to CM.

I just really don't like that a not insignificant chunk of their fanbase are people similar in culture and affect from the leaker. Have you ever looked at the Chat in those games? Genuinely unhinged. 

AG: Guardsman to be charged with removing classified info (yahoo.com)

A Massachusetts Air National Guard member who has emerged as a main person of interest in the disclosure of highly classified military documents was taken into custody Thursday by federal agents, Attorney General Merrick Garland announced.

Investigators believe that the guardsman, who specializes in intelligence, led the online chat group where the documents were posted. Garland identified the guardsman as 21-year-old Jack Teixeira, and said he would be charged with the unauthorized removal of classified national defense information.

sucks to be him...

20 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Ah, so it wasn't the rifle scope that got him, it was the kitchen countertop?  I think it is safe to say nobody saw that coming!

Steve

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that he is an Airman in a  Air National Guard squadron, with the breadth and seemingly depth of high level documents accessed and leaked. Yes, he is in the Intelligence wing.

1.But does that mean that every similar very young person, not senior status in every Air National Guard squadron Intel have access to the amazingly wide scope of intelligence from so many sources (and methods?), and of seemingly all or a great many levels of classification?  (if so, abandon all hope of keeping any important military secrets - they are already leaked, just not all posted in gaming chat rooms)

2. Or did he hack into or otherwise obtain illegal access to much of the material? 

Did he and all the others like him, at his level, need to know the details of the Ukrainian we plans? Of who is allegedly secretly supplying weapons to Russia? Of every nation we are spying on?

2 hours ago, AlsatianFelix said:

Every member of that Dischord group is going to jail for abetting and conspiring during an ongoing months-long espionage crime, right? I mean, the second one of you jabbonies leaks a secret document I'm ratting you out.

The U.S. is trying to convict Assange because they accuse him of aiding and directing the stealing of classified info, not merely receiving it.

Otherwise the U.S. would lock up the reporters that reported leaks, not just the leakers.

3 minutes ago, NamEndedAllen said:

1.But does that mean that every similar very young person, not senior status in every Air National Guard squadron Intel have access to the amazingly wide scope of intelligence from so many sources (and methods?), and of seemingly all or a great many levels of classification?  (if so, abandon all hope of keeping any important military secrets - they are already leaked, just not all posted in gaming chat rooms)

2. Or did he hack into or otherwise obtain illegal access to much of the material? 

The most logical explanation: he was de facto assistant charged with using printer and higher computer functions like PowerPoint (perhaps even doing presentations himself) because his older superiors were not "technical" enough to manage them.

6 minutes ago, Seminole said:

The U.S. is trying to convict Assange because they accuse him of aiding and directing the stealing of classified info, not merely receiving it.

Otherwise the U.S. would lock up the reporters that reported leaks, not just the leakers.

Correct.  Reporting on something illegal is one thing, actively participating in the crime while claiming journalistic protection is another thing all together.

The gray area is when a journalist has material evidence relating to a crime or, in particular, an ongoing crime.  In other professions, such as doctors or lawyers, the courts have generally held that the professional relationship contract is void under those circumstances.  Journalists are the only ones I can think of that make a point of saying they remain absolutely exempt and courts are not necessarily in agreement on that.

Steve

For years, U.S. counterintelligence officials have eyed gaming platforms as a magnet for spies.” -Wash Post 

I’ve wondered about this with regard to the wisdom of putting up really detailed well thought out proposals for the Ukrainian offensive, well-conceived by people who know what they are talking about. Probably nothing the Russians haven’t already thought of? But then, we don’t have a high degree of respect for their own abilities to wage war…

Edited by NamEndedAllen

5 minutes ago, Beleg85 said:

The most logical explanation: he was de facto assistant charged with using printer and higher computer functions like PowerPoint (perhaps even doing presentations himself) because his older superiors were not "technical" enough to manage them.

Perhaps, but the question remains... why would anybody in the Air National Guard need access to this information at all?  This stuff was designed for the highest levels of active leadership and related advisors.

As I said pages ago, this is the sort of debate the US needs to have about its sensitive documents.  There needs to be fewer of them and far fewer people able to access them.  The compartmentalization problems that crushed intel sharing prior to 9/11 needs to be kept in mind and not repeated.

Steve