How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

More evidence of systemic collapse:

Thousands of Russian Soldiers Call the Ukraine surrender hotline (eutimes.net)

"
 “The hotline has received a lot of calls from Russians who were called up recently, and even from some who have not even been called up yet.

“They’re calling and asking ‘What should I do if I get called up? What do I have to do, what’s the right way to surrender?’”

"

And, as many here have been calling for, this is how Ukraine says it will treat surrendered Russians:
“Among other things, we are talking about three meals a day, medical care, and the opportunity to contact relatives.”

21 minutes ago, Zeleban said:

I can say it's the other way around. Winter in the Kherson region is milder than in the rest of Ukraine. There is much less snow here. The proximity of the sea softens the climate

Thanks, I tend to think too far back to 1942 and compare.

I had once lived on a lake for a year (Buffalo, New York). The climate is obviously much different, but I learned early that  the lake was the reason why we experienced 1m+ snowfalls every time a storm hit. Some parts of the sidewalk would be bare, and others would have a massive snow berm formed from the wind.

2 minutes ago, pintere said:

I‘m sure this question has been answered already, but does Ukraine currently have the capability to manufacture more tanks and other AFVs of its own? 

What for? Russia supplies us with much more armored vehicles than we could produce in the same time

30 minutes ago, acrashb said:

More evidence of systemic collapse:

Thousands of Russian Soldiers Call the Ukraine surrender hotline (eutimes.net)

"
 “The hotline has received a lot of calls from Russians who were called up recently, and even from some who have not even been called up yet.

“They’re calling and asking ‘What should I do if I get called up? What do I have to do, what’s the right way to surrender?’”

"

And, as many here have been calling for, this is how Ukraine says it will treat surrendered Russians:
“Among other things, we are talking about three meals a day, medical care, and the opportunity to contact relatives.”

And classes in Ukrainian, if you study hard you might get to stay....

Do the Russians try to hold ANYTHING on the right bank? Or will they have the sense to try and get some of their forces out? Because their entire position on the right bank is officially BLEEPED.

Bigger question, who goes out a window in Moscow? Because this is outright humiliating after the whole annexation show.

Edit: Steve said it would take Ukraine most of fall to deal with Kherson pocket. The AFU said hold my beer dude! 🤣

Edited by dan/california

30 minutes ago, Artkin said:

I had once lived on a lake for a year (Buffalo, New York). The climate is obviously much different, but I learned early that  the lake was the reason why we experienced 1m+ snowfalls every time a storm hit.

First, congratulations on your Escape From Buffalo (soon to be in a theatre near you starring Wyatt Russell).

Second, it isn't the lake, it's being downwind from the lake.  The wind picks up moisture from Lake Ontario and dumps it on Buffalo.  I live upwind from that lake, and our climate is indeed moderated by it - we certainly get snow, but not like in Buffalo or even a bit North / West of here.

2 minutes ago, acrashb said:

First, congratulations on your Escape From Buffalo (soon to be in a theatre near you starring Wyatt Russell).

Second, it isn't the lake, it's being downwind from the lake.  The wind picks up moisture from Lake Ontario and dumps it on Buffalo.  I live upwind from that lake, and our climate is indeed moderated by it - we certainly get snow, but not like in Buffalo or even a bit North / West of here.

No more likes for today but thanks!

I was going to check out the way the wind flows for Southern Ukraine, since the dry wind can certainly pick up a lot of that moisture. 

2 hours ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

Thick *** winter rubber boots with added boot lining (can be easily switched when gets wet, "rotation") combined with thick *** quality winter socks. Indestructible 

image.png.f327a8c5e28dddeae403ed25ab6ecd83.png

In Norway we use these:

image.png.c9820e4c3a94f73d4c20eb479abc1aea.png

You wear them over your regular boots. They are waterproof and can even be used while skiing. Every soldiers favourite piece of equipment 🙂

14 minutes ago, Panserjeger said:

In Norway we use these:

You wear them over your regular boots. They are waterproof and can even be used while skiing. Every soldiers favourite piece of equipment 🙂

Seems like he moisture management would be a bigger problem than the Finnish style. But I assume they have been proven to work.

24 minutes ago, Panserjeger said:

In Norway we use these:

I believe these we would consider Mukluks. I do wonder why these are preferred over using a tall boot with gaiters. I would assume these are primarily for near-arctic conditions all year round.

On the flip side, I'm done with goretex boots in the snow. They acquire water, the outside fabric soaks and then freezes solid. If you try warming your boots up by the fire, there's a high chance that the plastic goretex layer can melt, it really doesn't take much.

A rubber or leather outside fabric is really beneficial for that reason, besides insulation purposes. I have heard leather boots coated with a product like SnoSeal provides the some of the best comfort without going extreme.

EDIT: These are overboots? These must be friggen gigantic. The worst part about the winter is having to store all your new insulation kit. The amount of stuff you need to bring with you is painful. I couldn't fit these overboots in my rucksack, which is something like 80-100L expanded, and is already filled to the brim. Adding pockets isn't wise to do either. 

I have overboots, but they are just a thin, waterproof layer without insulation.

Edited by Artkin

Just now, dan/california said:

Seems like he moisture management would be a bigger problem than the Finnish style. But I assume they have been proven to work.

You wear vapor barriers if you're serious about moisture. Like, plastic bags around your feet and under your socks.

3 minutes ago, dan/california said:

No big problems with moisture, they are easy to take on and off as needed. We strap them to our backpacks so they are available when needed. 

7 hours ago, Grigb said:

As far as i understand UKR call it Dagger tactics. Dager is platoon size unit usually up to three jeeps and one Kossak armored car. They probe the front line for weaknesses. Once weakness is found they signal location to the main force and move with other Daggers through, blocking RU controlled settlements when necessary. Before RU can even realize what is going on their rear is full of UKR Daggers, RU defenders are blocked at their positions and the UKR mechanized hammer is coming.

Similar tactic used Russians during Phase 1.

Probing in wide front with platoon-sized forces, when free sapce was found - signal for gathering to aother groups and calling the column of main forces behind. This even more similar to Mongols advance tactic in 13 cetnury.

A colleague told me a nice joke this morning I thought I would share here.

Putin didn't realize just how accurate his description of "partial mobilization" was - they're going to partially train you, partially equip you, and then you're partially mobilized...

And if you are lucky you get to partially go home (maybe missing a limb or two).

4 minutes ago, RandomCommenter said:

A colleague told me a nice joke this morning I thought I would share here.

Putin didn't realize just how accurate his description of "partial mobilization" was - they're going to partially train you, partially equip you, and then you're partially mobilized...

And if you are lucky you get to partially go home (maybe missing a limb or two).

Oh that is GOOD!

44 minutes ago, Probus said:

Thanks Huba.  I was looking for these numbers.  I was under the impression that HE Anti-personnel HIMARS rounds were being delivered.  Does anyone have any info on this?

Four High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS) and associated ammunition;

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3179323/625-million-in-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/

46 minutes ago, Panserjeger said:

In Norway we use these:

this thread has turned into a foot fetish...

here's my winter wear.   baaahhhahh (not really, but not too far off either)

flip flops.jpg

Edited by sburke

Some words about UKR units participating in offensive:

Arkhanhelske (liberated completely on 3rd of Oct) and Starosilske (today) - 129th TD brigade (Kryvyi Rih)

Velyka Oleksandrivka - 7th battalion "Arey" of UDA (Ukrainian Volunteer Army led by Dmytro Yarosh). "Battalions" of UDA and DUK RIght Sector volunteer formations are indeed reinforced large companies

Davydiv Brid - some battalion of 35th Marines brigade

Novopetrivka - 60th infantry brigade (knowingly about 2 KIA during liberation)

Myroliubivka and probably Berislav road - 128th mountain-assault brigade

Edited by Haiduk

1 hour ago, pintere said:

I‘m sure this question has been answered already, but does Ukraine currently have the capability to manufacture more tanks and other AFVs of its own? 

As far as I know, the tank repair and production plants in Kyiv and Kharkiv (Malyshev, the biggest one) have been hit by Russian strikes. However, there is also one in Lviv that to my knowledge has not been hit and is probably still functioning. Most Ukrainian tank and AFV production was in Kharkiv (Malyshev, KhTZ, etc.), so if the city is reasonably safe now production can probably resume.

One of the bigger issues is a lot of the pre-war armour plate production was in Mariupol, so I don't know if they have plate supply from other places like Kryvyi Rih.

Edited by Calamine Waffles