Time to ask about vehicle number-etc decals again

Hi,

It's been a while since this has been asked I think, and at one time I believe it was on the development wish list. Anyway for those that don't know, the idea is vehicle decals would allow different vehicles of the same type to have different numbering etc on the vehicles in game. IIRC there were concerns about game performance if this were implemented, but perhaps with todays machines that's no longer a concern. Any chance this may still happen?

Thanks

22 hours ago, Sequoia said:

the idea is vehicle decals would allow different vehicles of the same type to have different numbering etc on the vehicles in game.

Is this really necessary? How many are actually reading the number plates on the vehicles in the games? And in what way would different number plates make the games better? It won't make the games more tactical or more challenging.

19 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

Is this really necessary? How many are actually reading the number plates on the vehicles in the games? And in what way would different number plates make the games better? It won't make the games more tactical or more challenging.

It's a matter of taste and visuals preference. Quite right that it makes not an iota of difference to game play. But it makes for better looking videos for those who are into that. And for folks like me who come from a miniature historical gaming background, we just plain 'like' it. Did it really make a difference to game play when I painted the eyes on my 15 mm WOTR figs or the lacing on my 15 mm samurai armour? Only to me and to admiring friends. Back to CMBN. Eventhough I do enjoy having the tactical markings on all my armour and the unit patches on soldiers uniforms .. I also rarely game 'at ground level'. But I do enjoy the look around afterwards. There is also the wee matter that adding tactical markings to Aris' armour, satisfyingly feeds my creative obsession. To each his own enjoyment eh?

Edited by WimO
spelling error

On 12/24/2021 at 1:58 PM, BornGinger said:

How many are actually reading the number plates on the vehicles in the games?

Actually it's not really the number plates it's the turret numbering on tanks where this would be fun. Seeing the tanks from 1 platoon, 2 company with the numbers 112, 212, 312, 412 would be pretty cool.

Edited: Oops.

That would be 211, 212, 213, 214 as @kohlenklau said lower down.

Edited by IanL

4 minutes ago, IanL said:

Seeing the tanks from 1 platoon, 2 company with the numbers 112, 212, 312, 412 would be pretty cool.

The Three Digit System simply identified the company/platoon/individual vehicle in that order and allowed the commander to direct his units effectively on the battlefield. For example a vehicle numbered "223" would mean: 2nd company - 2nd platoon -3rd vehicle.

Edited by kohlenklau

On 12/24/2021 at 3:45 PM, kohlenklau said:

It would be very cool to have decals and much easier than TRYING to mod it in a half-azz manner

I would love to see built-in decal options too. As it is, right now it is possible to have a collection of different numbered turrets but since the game calls individual files randomly, it is not unusual to wind up with multiple copies of the same number showing up in the scenario. Turret numbering only really works in an ideal manner when there is only a single model of a particular vehicle in the scenario.

51 minutes ago, WimO said:

Turret numbering only really works in an ideal manner when there is only a single model of a particular vehicle in the scenario.

yes, I have had luck with making custom KO'd wrecks with say 421 and 424 and then the live tank is 423 or 420. But tiny scenario stuff. Maybe you are lucky and a different "ausf" allows you 2 live tanks with 423 AND 420.

decals would be damn cool

On 12/24/2021 at 3:42 PM, kohlenklau said:

The Three Digit System simply identified the company/platoon/individual vehicle in that order and allowed the commander to direct his units effectively on the battlefield. For example a vehicle numbered "223" would mean: 2nd company - 2nd platoon -3rd vehicle.

Oops, I had it backwards sorry.

On 12/24/2021 at 12:58 PM, BornGinger said:

It would to me.  I personally enjoy looking at each and every soldier or vehicle each and every game so it does add a lot to the game for me.  It's called game candy and to some of us appearance is everything.  Never said I was normal.  ☺️