Operation Bagration combat video

For sure some of this is Operation Bagration footage, but other parts may or may not be. Even so, there is much to see and learn here, including camouflage methods used, clearing out German dugouts, extremely primitive footbridges, Il-2 bombing technique (surprising to me) and my personal favorite, German troops fighting mountsd with handheld weapon from an 250 halftrack. Big brass ones seem to have been standard issue on both sides!

Regards,

John Kettler

Erwin,

You're most welcome.

BornGinger,

That would've been something, especially with better quality footage.

Aragorn2002 and Sgt.Squarehead,

From what I've read, Russians urgently needing footgear could and did take boots from newly captured German and other POWs. Accounts I've read talk of worn out Russian boots with gaping holes in the bottom blocked with cardboard from within. And just yesterday, I read of a partisan who showed up at a destitute aged couple's home with his footwraps (Russians don't wear socks) in such tatters that the woman took the cloth off the icon and gave it to him. At war's end, there were Russian soldiers still in their 1941 uniforms!

Regards,

John Kettler

A pity if you turn on the English subtitles it is way off. Bordering on the ridiculous, but this man is a goldmine of useful information. It presses the importance of having infantry near you armor at all times. The Stugs had most of the times a party of a man of five on top. He described them a cannon fodder. Hull down positions, hard to find but extremely important. What we call horizontal communication: Lieutenant of the Wehrmacht equipped with binoculars: "Look behind you!" There he saw 14 tanks approaching their rear. I just say it again the English translation is at best cryptic, also I am not 100% familiar with the Flemish version of Dutch. 

10 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Een Vlaamse leeuw. Very impressive, Chuckdyke. Thanks for posting that. 

Just listening how it relates to the game and how people have issues. Hull down is not as straight forward as it seems. C2, once among your own infantry unbutton and you get far more contacts. Spotting is team work optics alone gives you tunnel vision. Listening to him just confirms other veterans. They volunteered to fight communism not their own countrymen. They wanted to be allied with Germany and not to become Germans in a greater Germania. The Flemish SS underwent a name change and became Langemark not very popular at the time. There were a few more instances they fell out with the German command. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reminds me of that moment in the film Stalingrad where - in the middle of an intense battle - a German soldier takes the boots from a dead Russian and is very relieved that they fit. I always thought that was one of the best scenes in the entire movie.

Edited by Bulletpoint