VDV war movie The Breakthrough on YouTube. Can this history-based scenario be depicted in CM?

Don't claim to know how to depict this in CM, if it can be depicted in CM, but Breakthrough is all about the Russians in the Second Chechen War fighting a highly outnumbered desperate battle from a hilltop blocking position  trying to hold off an enormous force of Chechen and other fighters while waiting for reinforcements. This great war movie draws upon real events in the iconic 2000 Battle of Height 776. It's in Russian with English subtitles. Would post link, but YT won't allow this one to be embedded. Channel is called Epic Media English. Combat action is intense, and a wide variety of weaponry is shown. There's some excellent scenes of BMD-2s shot mostly from close range. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Sgt.Squarehead,

BMD-2s are in the movie, but they aren't involved in the mountaintop fighting. Interestingly, though, the VDV guys ride around on top of them, just like we've seen from Afghanistan and the invasion of Georgia. The pic was shot in Georgia.

https://warisboring.com/the-ussrs-air-dropped-fighting-vehicles-tore-through-cold-war-conflicts/

full?d=1514060246&f=1&nofb=1

Regards,

John Kettler

9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Suspect they're a bit cramped.  ;)

No doubt. Circa 1980, got to visit my brother at the National Training Center, where they had a bunch of Soviet built weaponry, including a T-55, a T-62, a BMP-1 and an MTLB. For me, at 5'11", the T-55 was workable because of turret height and layout, but the T-62 was a nightmare, including no headroom and aa remarkable setup seemed designed to bruise and contuse the crew at every turn, including some sort of square railing with knife sharp edges and ends seemingly designed to tear great chunks of flesh from the crew--regardless of tanker coveralls. The back end of the BMP-1 was open, so I gave that a go and failed. Was way too tall when seated. Was barely able to get into the also open back of the MTLB. Decades later, I got to clamber into the back of an ex-Czech Mi-24, and that was quite the contortionist routine to get in and out, too. Given these experiences, and based on other video I've seen, the BMDs 1 and 2 for sure must be horrible to ride in, even by BMP standards. In this video, made by the manufacturer, we can see lots more of the external riding going on, coupled with a whopping few second clip of infantry emerging from BMD-2s in combat line.

And here we have a somewhat vertiginous look at the BMD-2 inside and out. Talk about tight confines!

Regards,

John Kettler 

When the BMP-1/2 and BMD-1/2 were created, the average height of the soldiers was ~ 170 cm and then there was still no body armor and other equipment. The maximum that the soldier was carrying was an assault rifle, 4 magazines for the assault rifle, several grenades, an OZK with a gas mask and a duffel bag. The BMP-3 is actually only soviet vehicle that was made taking into account the equipment of a soldier and his height, which by that time was already an average of 180 cm. 

Edited by HUSKER2142

3 hours ago, HUSKER2142 said:

When the BMP-1/2 and BMD-1/2 were created, the average height of the soldiers was ~ 170 cm and then there was still no body armor and other equipment. The maximum that the soldier was carrying was an assault rifle, 4 magazines for the assault rifle, several grenades, an OZK with a gas mask and a duffel bag. The BMP-3 is actually only soviet vehicle that was made taking into account the equipment of a soldier and his height, which by that time was already an average of 180 cm. 

That's 5'9", which I believe I could deal with. Is the average height you cite for the soldiers with or without helmet?

Regards,

John Kettler

3 hours ago, John Kettler said:

That's 5'9", which I believe I could deal with. Is the average height you cite for the soldiers with or without helmet?

Without a helmet, if I correctly calculated your height ~ 175 cm. In theory, it should have been easier for you. But I am already problematic with my height of 183 cm. Apparently, when they created combat vehicles, the designers did not expect how war would change. 

22 minutes ago, HUSKER2142 said:

Without a helmet, if I correctly calculated your height ~ 175 cm. In theory, it should have been easier for you. But I am already problematic with my height of 183 cm. Apparently, when they created combat vehicles, the designers did not expect how war would change. 

Husker2142,

As far as sitting, and this sometimes is an issue for me in cars here, headroom is an issue, for I am long in the torso. Am 180 cm tall, in round numbers.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, dan/california said:

I spent three minutes killing brain cells before I realized the link was for the WHOLE MOVIE. 

I don't expect people to watch all of the movie, the last 10 minutes is hilarious. The Pitbull deserves an Oscar, to think of it they should introduce one for animals. The movie is worth watching if you like comedies.