Berlin CMRT Map

2 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

might work I guess. The dark row of teeth looks interesting (blackened). Just as there were some grass fires burning or something like that.

That's a bit of a mystery, could well be fire damage but oddly limited to just the front few rows and then some a couple of rows back. Maybe they were cleaning them? A row at a time ...

I can see what look like shuttering marks on some of them, I guess they made them by pouring concrete into wooden moulds.

6 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Harry what is the pillbox bug you mention? I missed a lot of this type of stuff when I was out of the forums for quite a few years.

My theory is and remains that when pillboxes are moulded into the ground like "in enter germany" and alike, they can be penetrated by various types of indirectly fired ordnance due to somehow the pillboxes "hitbox" gets ignored for penetration calculations. Speaking of calibers like 50, 60, 80mm mortars and off course the bigger stuff as well. See here for details (or do some playing Enter germany from intended german player side alternatively). 😎

12 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Not sulking too long ...

I usually start with an original mdr then import or append found models. Also I've used a Blender add-on which is specifically designed for tree modelling - it basically allows one to grow a tree from scratch until the desired shape is achieved. It's quite good fun growing your own trees from sapling but very hit and miss and can be an utter time leech. With this approach I then have to do a lots of pruning to get the model to a sensible size in terms of polygon count ... then there's the joy of UV mapping, an utter nightmare on organic shapes.

Thanks. Blender add on´s are cool sometimes, but guess that tree simulator ain´t that much well suited for making CM stuff. Better build trees up from elements like stock game ones. Anyway, most the (good) looks of foliage comes from textures and maybe the way one arranges the branch elements on the trunk. You already prooved what can be done with the stock game models. 😎

Yep, been there ... I'm happy with how your's works, so I leave that alone. The good thing about ReShade is that a lot of the shaders use language I'm more familiar with as they are based on stuff that image editing apps like PhotoShop do and one can also use LUTs to create instant effects, and it does it all in realtime on the fly so there's no need to leave the game to edit some pesky code.

Some day I´ll try ReShade, but more likely on games like Skyrim, Fallout and the like. Seen some impressive stuff uploaded at Nexus i.e 😎

Yes those are a bit of a bugbear, but I know they are a limitation. What you've done there certainly improves the look.

What I discovered making the burnt ground textures is that it's very difficult to make a convincing tile that will blend nicely with its surroundings, flavor objects don't use 8-bit masks so they have a hard edge which creates a kind of floating look. there's no way to make them blend without editing the 1-bit mask to a silly degree. So what I tried as a compromise is to create a flat texture to replace a ground texture bmp then add detritus in the form of flavor object as you suggested above. It's a reasonable approach, certainly something I want to pursue later.

And YES 😎 no timber frames in cities, those are looking great.

Yes, getting it all to fit into the picture overally could be loads of work. I tend to just mod change those single things I really need for a particular mission as said. Doing a full fleshed out mod set for everyone to use is beyond my capabilities and available time. Kudos to those who can do it! 🙂

Yes the Heaven & Earth project is a fantastic example of what can be achieved. Not sure why BF don't commission the guys to go full out on that and make it into another module (Vietnam huhhum)

Seconded! But who knows....

Yes it's very difficult to figure out the best approach with these huge mod sets. But I think using it as a kind of Pick'n'Mix is fine. I usually make a separate install of the game and just dedicate it to these massive sets that way I can keep it all in one place and dip into it for bits to use elsewhere. I have a CMRT normal install, a CMRT Barbarossa for Kohlenklau's massive mod and a CMRT Endkampf for Nigel's Berlin mod.

Way to go I guess. I start running low on space on my 1 TB hard drive so different installs is not one my possible options. Anyway, I just keep stuff in data/z that I really want using and playing frequently. Everything else more sooner than later falls victim to DEL key again. And that´s not easy going as I tend to be collector sort of. 😄

The Orthodox Church is just the one from CMRT, independent building 306. All I did was change the name of the mdr and LOD mdr to building303.mdr and building303-lod-1.mdr, then dropped them into my CMBN Z folder with their original bmps - the bmps keep their original names so the the mdrs find them. There's no 306 in CMBN, so no problem with that. I knew my thoughts about this couldn't be original🙄. I could go into the mdr and edit the bmp links but there's very little point it was just a proof of concept thing for the cutting room floor.

Ah okay. Wondering if there´s some data buried (META) in Mdr files that make the pixeltroopers go to windows, doors and staircase connections. These would then be the data to change to avoid the pixeltroopers going to somewhere where´s not visible window and such. One interesting oddity is balconies (modular buildings) in the game. If you bury buildings in a 3m deep hole and then add balconies to 1st story, you can make pixeltroopers hop to the surrounding terrain straight from the balconies. But does not work vice versa. So you can´t enter 1st (or any above) story of a building from outside, even if the story is level with the surrounding terrain (3m sinkhole method). But interesting things you can do with that (feature). Basements!

Trees can work as flavor objects if one dumps the leaf branches, then one can have a lot more on a map without slow downs. It's how part of my burnt textures pack will work eventually. The issue I have at the moment is that when I delete the small leaf branches I'm still left with their shadows! Gotta spend some time working that out. 

Think I got removed the shadows successfully by setting alphas either whole black or white. Can´t remember if it was the 2 or 256 Bit ones though.

7 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Great. Yeah I'm going to look at the texture, I just grabbed a quick one off the net, it's probably a bit too weathered. It also needs to fit properly, the stretching does my head in, it actually offends me that I make it look nice in Blender then the game chews it up!

I have to go figure ... 🙄

The real ones in you photo are very clean looking, and they seem to be joined by some sort of concrete walls - is that to bridge a small gully?

Yep that´s a small bridge. There´s various local westwall adaptions of this sort when fitting into the planned for blocking schemes and/or when surrounding terrain requires it.

7 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

That's a bit of a mystery, could well be fire damage but oddly limited to just the front few rows and then some a couple of rows back. Maybe they were cleaning them? A row at a time ...

I can see what look like shuttering marks on some of them, I guess they made them by pouring concrete into wooden moulds.

Yep wooden moulds IIRC. Could also be the dark ones were of the first construction program and the fresh ones added 2-3 years later. But the "fresh" looks is way to go when it comes to westwall. Adding a weathered looks s/b no problem for those who want it since it´s just one additional texture. Or more if for example someone wants a camo scheme on them i.e

Uhm.. that was a big multi quote this time. 😅

Okay - I am just about at the end of my tether re UV maps - I've done everything by the book in terms of Blender - the meshes were cleaned up, made nice and simple, only about 14 triangles. The UV map is laid out in the prescribed manner, such a simple shape -result? Not on your life - they were worse than ever. I've tried multiple iterations, tried to import and export with metadata - not having it, but I really don't think that's the issue. The way UV maps are handled inside the mdr file is the secret sauce, looks lovely in Blender, export it and hey presto it's futzed. I had the same issue with trees and thought I'd cracked it but nope this one takes the proverbial biscuit. Textures smeared all over the place, utter mess.

So I tried making the meshes more complex (totally nonsensical) by subdividing the faces, retriangulating, normalising, all that stuff, blahdeblahdeblah. It improves the flat faces mostly but I'm still left with weirdness at edges ... wtf!

zFDUEUn.jpg

I've marked seams, some seams, lots of seams, one seam, I've done it without seams, I've let Blender do it's thing without touching the UVs. I've tried everything I can throw at this but still the horrible distortions remain. So I'm at the point where I won't be doing any more on this 'cos without the input of someone who knows what the issue is, NOT well meant guesses, sorry, I'm not learning anything and this is utterly frivolous. BF could probably solve all this nonsense at the drop of a hat but this is not even close to being on their radar. So I'll leave modding to those that care enough, play the games and shut up and ... 🤬

If anyone above my pay grade - oh I don't get paid, I forgot! - wants to take a look at the Blender files they are here.

Meanwhile I'm off to look at kittens on Imgur for half an hour ...

Tantrum done ...

2RfLasv.png

Mark, always the perfectionist 😆.   I see nothing wrong.  Okay the surfaces look jazzy but the Germans were the front runners in the world of graffiti and random decoration.  That's not necessarily a historical fact, but it might be from now on.

Anyway, I think a Sherman tank driver might be distracted by the patterns, so it's a job well done.

I have been playing with my kitten (ooh err) for a couple of hours now.  Only stopping when he decided that wrestling the Spaniel was more fun. 

I'm sure there's a crude joke in there somewhere?  Answers on a postcard please, post them here.

3 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Okay - I am just about at the end of my tether re UV maps - I've done everything by the book in terms of Blender - the meshes were cleaned up, made nice and simple, only about 14 triangles. The UV map is laid out in the prescribed manner, such a simple shape -result? Not on your life - they were worse than ever. I've tried multiple iterations, tried to import and export with metadata - not having it, but I really don't think that's the issue. The way UV maps are handled inside the mdr file is the secret sauce, looks lovely in Blender, export it and hey presto it's futzed. I had the same issue with trees and thought I'd cracked it but nope this one takes the proverbial biscuit. Textures smeared all over the place, utter mess.

So I tried making the meshes more complex (totally nonsensical) by subdividing the faces, retriangulating, normalising, all that stuff, blahdeblahdeblah. It improves the flat faces mostly but I'm still left with weirdness at edges ... wtf!

zFDUEUn.jpg

I've marked seams, some seams, lots of seams, one seam, I've done it without seams, I've let Blender do it's thing without touching the UVs. I've tried everything I can throw at this but still the horrible distortions remain. So I'm at the point where I won't be doing any more on this 'cos without the input of someone who knows what the issue is, NOT well meant guesses, sorry, I'm not learning anything and this is utterly frivolous. BF could probably solve all this nonsense at the drop of a hat but this is not even close to being on their radar. So I'll leave modding to those that care enough, play the games and shut up and ... 🤬

If anyone above my pay grade - oh I don't get paid, I forgot! - wants to take a look at the Blender files they are here.

Meanwhile I'm off to look at kittens on Imgur for half an hour ...

Tantrum done ...

2RfLasv.png

Still highly appreciated and the poly model looks good @Lucky_Strike😎 Unfortunately I´ve no knowledge on the UV mapping stuff, but instead try lending a hand on some other stuff. In Blender I added original Hedgehog META data to your Blender file, then exported to MDR. In game (CMRT for my convenience) the teeth work and look as described. If not zooming in too much they don´t actually look thaaat bad with distortions and I could live with that. Maybe we still find some solution for the UV problems.

I took my other concrete texture (uniform gray with bits of noise added) then added a lighter version of it. Mod tagged these for quick swap in editor so one can test and look at them fairly quickly. Here´s the looks: LS, dark gray, light gray

6siRgS4.jpg

And here´s the file package for anyone who want getting it further or adding different textures. LS´s edited Blender 2.79 file, the MDR (hedgehog1.mdr) and 3 textures with their individual Mod Tag *.txt file (teeth and teeth ligh.txt).

hedgehog1.mdr and the textures go into data/z. The Tag files into scenarios folder then to be loaded from there as usual.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pf9j2fohvu7x0l/LS´s Hedgehog DragonTeeth RHZ Edits.zip?dl=0

Dumped into CMBN they work fine in You Enter Germany mission as well. From US AI POV a Sherman flail opening the mined gap with follow up armor covering it.

XhaE4q1.jpg

S1dt1wj.jpg

LjWscV8.jpg

Edited by RockinHarry

2 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

before LSD became the drug of choice

Well for anyone thinking a few concrete teeth would stop the inevitable, LSD must have been the drug of choice.

6 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Sadly, Prez drank himself to death

Hang on, google says Dead Prez ain't dead man?

5 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

I can see your house up on the hill but I didn't know you were asked to re-deploy your drainage...

What you can see "up" in the background is a church. Below it is a palace which Henry the Gross stole off of the one true and apostolic church in the 1500's. I don't think PC Plod's wages would have stretched to renting it. Sadly, the warehouses in the left foreground were destroyed in the name of progress in 1959.

Interestingly the moveable tank traps that would have filled the gap that the car is going through lay alongside the bridge until the late 1970's.

16 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Thanks. Blender add on´s are cool sometimes, but guess that tree simulator ain´t that much well suited for making CM stuff. Better build trees up from elements like stock game ones. Anyway, most the (good) looks of foliage comes from textures and maybe the way one arranges the branch elements on the trunk. You already prooved what can be done with the stock game models. 😎

Well actually with careful use it can do an fantastic job and can produce some useful results. If only I could sort out some of the issues with UV mapping we would be away.

What I'm trying to achieve with the trees is something a bit more naturalistic, not just stick trees and cones, not to mention the bean poles holding up the bocage ... textures certainly go some of the way and a little bit of shaping can make a huge difference. But making it all in a vacuum is quite tough.

Doing a full fleshed out mod set for everyone to use is beyond my capabilities and available time. Kudos to those who can do it!

Absolutely, I actually don't have enough hours in the day to do what I do, let alone create a whole new environment. Anything, no matter the size, that anyone can do is always very welcome.

Way to go I guess. I start running low on space on my 1 TB hard drive so different installs is not one my possible options. Anyway, I just keep stuff in data/z that I really want using and playing frequently. Everything else more sooner than later falls victim to DEL key again. And that´s not easy going as I tend to be collector sort of. 😄

Yes it's a lot to store, good thing is though it's possible to just copy the Data sets for each game installation, back them up and have them at hand to reinstall. I keep all my Data sets on a NAS so I can install them on either my Mac or PC as needed. Also means I can keep everything in sync. My dream is to completely mod each game to my taste then have a master set that can be installed without Z folders filled with so many random tests, just replace all the original textures etc. 

One interesting oddity is balconies (modular buildings) in the game. If you bury buildings in a 3m deep hole and then add balconies to 1st story, you can make pixeltroopers hop to the surrounding terrain straight from the balconies...

Strange thing to code in, maybe BF were looking to do something else with it, though I can't think what. Maybe related to basements or tunnels or some such.

Think I got removed the shadows successfully by setting alphas either whole black or white. Can´t remember if it was the 2 or 256 Bit ones though.

All black would do it. What I was seeing was shadows when there were not even any 'hidden' leaf branches. They weren't masked out in the alpha channels, they just weren't there at all. It's like the game remembered they were there originally. It's very bizarre and has no rationale as far as I can tell.

Could also be the dark ones were of the first construction program and the fresh ones added 2-3 years later. But the "fresh" looks is way to go when it comes to westwall.

I wondered if that might be the case. I took a look a some other archive photos and noticed the same thing in other locations. Also noted there were quite a few different  shapes. 

Uhm.. that was a big multi quote this time. 😅

Hah, yes, have to be careful else @Vacillator will insist we get a room.

4 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Still highly appreciated and the poly model looks good

We'll I'm happy that you like it and you're more than welcome to make use of it.

Unfortunately I´ve no knowledge on the UV mapping stuff, but instead try lending a hand on some other stuff. In Blender I added original Hedgehog META data to your Blender file, then exported to MDR. In game (CMRT for my convenience) the teeth work and look as described. If not zooming in too much they don´t actually look thaaat bad with distortions and I could live with that. Maybe we still find some solution for the UV problems.

Well that one up on me, didn't know it was possible to copy/paste the original metadata. I went and tried building another one up from scratch on top of the original hedgehog model, h kept the original inside the dragon's tooth - bit like a kinda big dragon egg waiting to hatch a little baby hedgehog 🦔... < no that's not hedgehog poop 🤣

Anyway I could export that with metadata intact but it still didn't work 🤯

Dumped into CMBN they work fine in You Enter Germany mission as well. From US AI POV a Sherman flail opening the mined gap with follow up armor covering it.

Actually the shadows look much better on your flatter coloured versions. Also they seem to have curved edges. I'll try some much lighter/cleaner texture and even more triangle texels - might ameliorate the issue temporarily until I can solve the UV problem, or not ... I'm pretty certain that there's something, possibly in the export script, that messes up the UV maps sometimes. So hard to know and sadly sbobovyc has moved on from the scripts.

Thanks for taking a look at them Harry. 

Edited by Lucky_Strike

6 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Mark, always the perfectionist 😆.   I see nothing wrong.  Okay the surfaces look jazzy but the Germans were the front runners in the world of graffiti and random decoration.  That's not necessarily a historical fact, but it might be from now on.

Anyway, I think a Sherman tank driver might be distracted by the patterns, so it's a job well done.

I have been playing with my kitten (ooh err) for a couple of hours now.  Only stopping when he decided that wrestling the Spaniel was more fun. 

I'm sure there's a crude joke in there somewhere?  Answers on a postcard please, post them here.

Jealous! I just might have to take a trip down to Somerset ...

4 hours ago, Warts &#x27;n&#x27; all said:

No, this is what "jazzy" looks like... 

Sadly, Prez drank himself to death before LSD became the drug of choice amongst longhairs.

Sad indeed 

P.C. Plod - My tank traps look better than yours.

Ah but PC plod seems to be directing traffic in toy town. Is that noddy he's seeing through his gappy teeth?

Thanks guys for some obscure strangeness and beneficial humour, I feel so much better now ... Now where did I put that bottle of single malt ...

3 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Ah but PC plod seems to be directing traffic in toy town. 

Yeah I'm not sure how our "toy town" would have fared had it found itself in the front line. Taking the eastern end of the bridge parapet away to give our boys in the Westborough a clear shot at Gerry might not have been enough.

Now that we can effectively make hedgehog obstacles to look like something different (dragon teeth), I revived an old idea which is "invisible" hedgehog type obstacles. So what is it good for? You can declare any viable (for hedgehog obstacle) action spot to become a Nogo tank obstacle, maybe also adding bits of its suspected infantry cover value.

For that purpose I downscaled LS´s teeth (1/10th size) and made the (added) texture alpha layer full transparent (white). Texture is a small (~18kb) single color 256x256, not original one.

Usage:

Deny the AIP (and player) certain action spots beeing used for vehicular movements like i.e forest edges (to deny entering a forest at all), "known" boggy areas or soggy riverbanks (could look like simple grass or dirt terrain i.e), channelize or deny scripted AIP vehicles moving through certain areas and more that might come to mind.

Additionally one can create various type of obstacles (brick & wood type roadblocks, tram, felled tree obstacles.....) beeing put to some appropriate flavor object slots. Then combine with "invisible" hedgehog obstacle on map and voila...you have a working AT obstacle looking like something different (or intended).

Similar use: AT Trench. Normal -3m deep ditches (blue ditch lock type) aren´t an obstacle to vehicles at all. At least not for tracked type. Put invisible hedgehog into it and you have the looks of the ditch with the AT blocking effects of the hedgehog.

Below is some examples I just got tested a bit. Thus far these obstacles work like they always did, but look like something different here. However... there´s a problem with flavor object method. Hedgehog obstacles is a random cluster of 8 objects beeing placed in an AS. Since these take precedence, every flavor object randomly occupying the same 1m grid node within the AS´s 8x8m grid gets removed.

Editor or deployment screen looks.

x6KVOJU.jpg

epSwUtA.jpg

Kjsr4MA.jpg

In game looks while resolving 1st game turn. Hedgehog object (LS teeth) with normal "visible" looks. See how the previously placed tree stumps got removed.

cnFDRHA.jpg

Another shot of the AT Ditch with LS teeth obstacles in "visible" mode for comparison.

YlmgtmA.jpg

There could likely be a solution for the random flavor object removal though.What do you think? I´d guess @NPye also could make use of some these stuff for the various roadblock types beeing used in Berlin battle? (trams, rubble & brick etc)

Edited by RockinHarry

1 hour ago, JM Stuff said:

Woaw lot to read and to admiration here, I go one day and the world changing, congrat to both of you @RockinHarry and @Lucky_Strike,  with this job we will have another mod vers2, to "enter in Germany", new stuffs and full destructible...

good job guys !

JM 

Though basic idea is not that new. At least couldn´t find something that turned "mod" in forum or at FGM. But has some potential for different things IMO. Feel free to make your mind and create something appropriate in Blender maybe? 😎

Couple pics for inspiration:

http://www.giesshuebel.de/Panzersperren.jpg

340px-Pz_Hindernis_IMG_1468.JPG

csm_03_Die_Hoeckerlinie_des_Typs_B__rech

480x270.jpg

aens3k9gvfmlhulm3mhevjbehofgc0j2.jpg

AKG108287_low.jpg

http://fotos.stahlgewitter.com/1917/westfront/cambrai/_jpg/008.jpg

20-0.jpg

Edited by RockinHarry

9 hours ago, Warts &#x27;n&#x27; all said:

Yeah I'm not sure how our "toy town" would have fared had it found itself in the front line. Taking the eastern end of the bridge parapet away to give our boys in the Westborough a clear shot at Gerry might not have been enough.

Thankfully, never tested. Mind you there was always ...

gSzGPSp.jpg

1 hour ago, RockinHarry said:

Additionally one can create various type of obstacles (brick & wood type roadblocks, tram, felled tree obstacles.....) beeing put to some appropriate flavor object slots. Then combine with "invisible" hedgehog obstacle on map and voila...you have a working AT obstacle looking like something different (or intended).

This is a great idea. I had discussed with @NPye the possibility of a tram road block as flavor object earlier but hadn't really applied myself to it. Using invisible, immovable items like the hedgehogs is perfect, though it's very likely that he's used a lot of hedgehogs as is for his maps. In the case of the tram I was thinking of an invisible immobilised AFV - a halftrack or something similar to add a bit of cover value as well.

Nevertheless there's still plenty to explore here. And Harry, I like your other blocks - similar to the 'British' versions that @Warts 'n' all posted a picture of. The anti-tank trench would be great for Kursk scenarios!

Now without further ado ... THANKS AND PRAISE BE TO OUR ALMIGHTY MOD GOD @kohlenklau

He took them away, he chewed them up and sent me a beam of dazzling, tantrum-quenching, inspiration ...

Here are your dragon's teeth in their proper, glorious form...

SZSaK2p.jpg

3whRsiT.jpg

Y3TOGT2.jpg

So what made the difference ... I had completely forgotten that the CM engine does not like planes/faces of objects that are joined across angles. What we have to do is to separate the faces, ALL OF THEM, so that the texture fills the face and doesn't then seemingly smear across to the next face. I don't know why it's set this way, but it is.

How does the saying go ...? Ah yes, Where there's a way there's a Phil

Next up can someone make some of these gnashers ...

DXuYCP8.png