M43 cap replacement for sidecap and crusher cap

2 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Like George says, It's an addition to Frenchy56's excellent caps, just grab it and drop it in with his and everyone should be wearing nice Feldmutzes. It's an either or mod, you either have these or you stick with the traditional peaked officer hats. Unfortunately there's no way to have variety so far as I can tell. 

Yeah, that's the dream. To have these caps mixed with other headgear. Perhaps in CM3!

11 hours ago, George MC said:

Brilliant - thank you very much :) Oh and my thanks to @mjkerner for the advice on how this is done also. Oh and to @Frenchy56for the originals.

I installed your files @Lucky_Strike and all works swimmingly! Thank you.

I did manage to work out how to rename the smock for the heid bummer in the outfit, so defo looks lot more "combaty" and less like a target!

Cheers guys for the help - much appreciated thank you.

Cheery!

RVSxViT.jpg

He looks much better - reminds me of some of the photos from Kampfgruppe Mülhenkamp

1 minute ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

Yeah, that's the dream. To have these caps mixed with other headgear. Perhaps in CM3!

I think F&R might mix in the original Panzer sidecap with the M43, or at least we can trick the engine to do it by just having the officer crusher hat replaced with the M43 and leaving the other ranks with the sidecap.

30 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I think F&R might mix in the original Panzer sidecap with the M43, or at least we can trick the engine to do it by just having the officer crusher hat replaced with the M43 and leaving the other ranks with the sidecap.

Right, but having helmets and caps mixed for the infantry. That doesn't work.

48 minutes ago, George MC said:

It’s an addition. Changes the battalion CO peaked cap to a M43. But you need the M43 mod installed. 

Thanks George...

But, in RL wouldn't they only be wearing the cap when safely in the rear (or perhaps in the hot desert), and the helmet when in combat (as in all CM2 scenarios).  

Edited by Erwin

22 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Thanks George...

But, in RL wouldn't they only be wearing the cap when safely in the rear (or perhaps in the hot desert), and the helmet when in combat (as in all CM2 scenarios).  

Photo below shows SS-Sturmbannführer Paul Kümmel in action, Poland summer 1944. Photo taken by Ernst Baumann.

5th SS-Panzer-Division "Wiking" in Poland. | All eyes toward… | Flickr

Edited by George MC
Spelling

1 hour ago, George MC said:

Photo below shows SS-Sturmbannführer Paul Kümmel in action, Poland summer 1944. Photo taken by Ernst Baumann.

I appreciate the point, but the photo doesn't prove they were that close to any "action" as the game defines it.  Have always suspected that pics showing clean-shaved, well washed soldiers "in action" may have been PR.

10 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I appreciate the point, but the photo doesn't prove they were that close to any "action" as the game defines it.  Have always suspected that pics showing clean-shaved, well washed soldiers "in action" may have been PR.

Well it does if you know the context.

https://www.panzerwrecks.com/product/kampfgruppe-muhlenkamp-5-ss-panzer-division-wiking-eastern-poland-july-1944-2/

This image was taken in combat. It’s from a series. The next images further on show other troops in other carriers taking cover. 
image.jpeg.fc60679eb8f8a1bfc1c0bfa603a3e90b.jpeg

Edited by George MC

22 minutes ago, Erwin said:

As George says, these photos were from a series taken by one of the SS combat photographers sent along to cover this 'rescue' mission. Also it was their duty to be clean and well groomed, these are mostly high ranking officers and attendants that you see so they would've definitely been somewhat more well turned out than the average squadie. 

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

Not with those giant ear goggles! There are plenty of pics in the series that show combat half-tracks where most of the guys are fully helmeted. Also if memory serves me right the command group were not right at the front, but at one point there were some Russian troops spotted on their flank which they had to deal with. It's a quite unique series of images and the book is definitely worth a look if you get the chance. RZM in the States https://rzmpublishing.com/pages/copy-of-ltd-editions

machine-gun-team-with-mg34-at-the-eastern-front-photo-bretho-cc-by-sa-4-0-741x480.jpeg.278de879f519ab6650ec2c6f67244c7e.jpeg

Guy laying down suppressive fire with a sidecap on. Could be staged, but I really don't think it's farfetched that some German soldiers abstained from wearing their stahlhelm every minute of combat. They're uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time and given the ragtag state of the German army by 45 it's possible they didn't even have enough to supply all of their troops. (This photo is from 1943 though)

Edited by Anonymous_Jonze

10 minutes ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

machine-gun-team-with-mg34-at-the-eastern-front-photo-bretho-cc-by-sa-4-0-741x480.jpeg.278de879f519ab6650ec2c6f67244c7e.jpeg

Guy laying down suppressive fire with a sidecap on. Could be staged, but I really don't think it's farfetched that some German soldiers abstained from wearing their stahlhelm every minute of combat. They're uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time and given the ragtag state of the German army by 45 it's possible they didn't even have enough to supply all of their troops. (This photo is from 1943 though)

It's foolhardy, but fo'sure there are plenty of times when, for one reason or another, they didn't don their helmets. This lot look like they might be on anti-partisan operations ... and the guy taking the weight is gonna get so deaf. The MG doesn't have a bipod so it could have been vehicle mounted or they didn't want to deploy it on a full mount cos of the long grass.

7 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

It's foolhardy, but fo'sure there are plenty of times when, for one reason or another, they didn't don their helmets. This lot look like they might be on anti-partisan operations ... and the guy taking the weight is gonna get so deaf. The MG doesn't have a bipod so it could have been vehicle mounted or they didn't want to deploy it on a full mount cos of the long grass.

Ha my ears hurt just looking at this photo!

10 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

As George says, these photos were from a series taken by one of the SS combat photographers sent along to cover this 'rescue' mission. Also it was their duty to be clean and well groomed, these are mostly high ranking officers and attendants that you see so they would've definitely been somewhat more well turned out than the average squadie. 

Not with those giant ear goggles! There are plenty of pics in the series that show combat half-tracks where most of the guys are fully helmeted. Also if memory serves me right the command group were not right at the front, but at one point there were some Russian troops spotted on their flank which they had to deal with. It's a quite unique series of images and the book is definitely worth a look if you get the chance. RZM in the States https://rzmpublishing.com/pages/copy-of-ltd-editions

@ErwinTo follow on from what @Lucky_Strikesays, aye it is one of the most fascinating series of images I've seen (next to the other book of images covering 'Ilse' relief of Kovel all published by RZM.com

Yeah the follow on images of the grenadiers in their SPW show them all helmeted. Interestingly majority of images in the sequence of senior officers 9and some senior NCOs) show them all wearing soft caps - M43s or 'crusher' caps whilst the grunts all appear to be wearing helmets.   

As an aside, this diagram from a period - 1944 German manual - gives suggested spacings so I reckon Kümmel was closer to the shooting bit than we'd maybe expose our battalion commanders on the CM battlefield!

The diagram shows battalion HQ staff being 100m behind the point company and around 400m from the leading vehicle of the advance guard. Guess terrain etc would dictated how close/far the HQ would be in reality. Given his key role would be co-ordinating his battalion and especially ensuring the heavy company (just behind him) was best placed to support the attack should resistance be encountered.

6AmeLdu.jpg

13 hours ago, George MC said:

The diagram

Nice. So they'd be spread out over about a 1km front, that certainly shows we'd need some seriously large maps to play with full battalions.

there must be a few scenarios that could come out of both Kampfgruppe Mühlenkamp and Unternehmen Ilse - though in all likelihood there probably already are, I just missed them 😴

• 5 months later...

All The Caps R Great, Seriously they look awesome. When r u coming out with a Pea Dot version for the Waffen SS? I'm gonna return to this page everyday waiting to see if your done yet, just kidding but when you do I would love to b the first one to download it, Thanx Brother and keep on making these Outstanding Mod,s

On 4/28/2021 at 6:35 PM, Frenchy56 said:

Hello everyone,

I've replaced the crusher cap and the sidecap models with the new M43 cap introduced with F&R. I've also made some changes to the model itself so it looks a bit closer to the real thing, and adjusted some textures as well as introducing new ones. The ones replacing the crusher cap will have officer piping. I've also made Gebirgsjager and Kriegsmarine Coastal Artillery variants.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/dxvqzyvmoizgjy5/zzzzM43_cap.rar/file

e131c339e0.png

3bae13c225.png

Drop it in the Data/Z folder. You can remove the parts you don't want, and it should work with the other WW2 games.

Enjoy.

Frenchy, is this the original uniform in  the game, or is it a mod and if so, which one?

The one on the right is the peadot uniform from EZ's Waffen-SS skins. Unfortunately the page which conveniently included all the download links to the latest versions of his German skins was deleted from the repository and seems to be lost. I have them all on my hard drive and I should be able to reupload them somewhere.

I use helmets from Vein's German Uniform mod (which isn't available publicly either...), the one on the left specifically is taken from CMFB's vanilla textures. For SS helmet covers I've taken a few from Lucky Strike's helmet mod.

Edited by Frenchy56

21 hours ago, Frenchy56 said:

The one on the right is the peadot uniform from EZ's Waffen-SS skins. Unfortunately the page which conveniently included all the download links to the latest versions of his German skins was deleted from the repository and seems to be lost. I have them all on my hard drive and I should be able to reupload them somewhere.

I use helmets from Vein's German Uniform mod (which isn't available publicly either...), the one on the left specifically is taken from CMFB's vanilla textures. For SS helmet covers I've taken a few from Lucky Strike's helmet mod.

Frenchy, I'm trying to find out which helmet camo mod fits best with EZ's peadot uniform. You or anyone else any suggestions?