Ivan Ivonovich is here to rap with you about his outfit in the Pact armies...

akd

35 minutes ago, Double Deuce said:

Loved my M85. Kept her cleaned and well oiled, she never let me down. Of course, even then she couldn't hold a candle to the M2.

Did the high rate of fire work?  I've read quite a bit on it being problematic, and can't figure out what the actual rate was, with sources giving anywhere from 625 to 1100 rpm.

Edited by akd

1 hour ago, akd said:

Did the high rate of fire work?  I've read quite a bit on it being problematic, and can't figure out what the actual rate was, with sources giving anywhere from 625 to 1100 rpm.

We only usually fired low rate (400 rpm iirc) since it was just gunnery and you wanted to have your ammo last as long as you could rather than run out before you fired all your engagements. High rate was like 1000 rpm I think (400 and 1000 are what pop in my head when I try to remember). Most jams/misfires, that I remember, were usually due to the weapon being dry or more commonly, misaligned or not fully seated ammo in the belts. We lubed the weapon and ammo belts quite liberally but we weren't in the desert environment and I could see all that oil being a sand magnet and causing problems. 🤔

akd,

In my 11+ years as a Soviet Threat Analyst, I never saw the Ivon Ivonovitch (sic) pub. Had no idea such a thing existed and asked retired SFC Army Scout brother George whether he ever had one. He'd never seen one but liked the idea.

The T-62 side view is off, for the turret more nearly resembles the T-55 than the T-62, whose turret is pretty symmetric front and back when viewed from the side. Indeed, it was a point of instant recognition, being referred to as the inverted frying pan. Ivan is clearly talking about the T-62 when mentioning the 115 mm gun. The aiming point chart is a travesty, for the BRDM-2 is labeled BTR-60 and the BTR-60 a BRDM-22! Clearly, this document wasn't properly proofed, if proofed at all, before being sent to press. 

Had one of these full size posters in my office. Don't recall the scale, but it was donme in such a way that you could use a dollar bill to measure the items depicted.

s-l300.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

and one of these in my desk drawer. Used it many times.

DSC04541.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Got one of these from a former RAND nuclear weapon expert. Unfortunately, my Nuclear Effects Weapon Computer No. 2 somehow disappeared after I left military aerospace. It was pretty slick, because it allowed you to determine the effects of weapon A, in delivery mode B, against target C, of hardness D, with a CEP of E, to achieve a given result F. IN practice, it typically took less time to set up and run a given calculation than it did to type this description using two fingers. This manual computer neatly illustrated the value of decreasing CEP, which was the US approach to ICBM and SLBM design, as opposed to the big Soviet warheads and really bad CEP.

nuclear-weapons-effects-computer-no-2.jp

ng cavscout,

Never saw those, but as a kid in elementary school, got to read the USAF maintenance and safety mags via a USAF sergeant in maintenance who lived down the street from us. His daughter was our babysitter a number of times. Through those magazines, I learned about FOD, what sort of damage a screwdriver or flashlight left inside a jet engine could do, the importance of correct lube, PM and more, including the dire consequences of improperly safing or utterly failing to safe ejection seats before working in the cockpit! Had great stark b/w cartoons memorably illustrating what to do and what not to do when it came to taking care of your assigned aircraft.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

So as a US soldier you're left with this idea that the Russians are pretty strong handsome cool guys with a lot of awesome pretty and strong weapons. And now maybe we have to go fight them? How's that for morale? What happened to dehumanising the enemy? I don't want to shoot my new buddy Ivan...

But please tell me more about that NEW EQUIPMENT RECORD SYSTEM you have there...

Edited by Bulletpoint

On 3/31/2021 at 2:04 PM, Amedeo said:

Yes, the PK armed guys sport something vaguely resembling an RPK. Moreover the folding stocks are all wrong! The AKS/AKMS folding stock had a totally different shape. What we see here is resembling the stock of an AKS-74.

Anyway I like those old "educational" comics! 😁

copyright laws are real...lol.

On 4/4/2021 at 5:57 PM, Double Deuce said:

Probably this one?

PS_Magazine_Cover_page_(16834901182).jpg

I first saw "Connie" in the late 70's or early 80's in Blackhawk, Huey, and Armor PM series on turbine engine maintenance when I wrote engine maintenance manuals for GE Aircraft Engines. I have to say, the clothing changed greatly. In the ones I saw, "Connie" was dressed in "Daisy Duke" shorts and a halter top.