Ivan Ivonovich is here to rap with you about his outfit in the Pact armies...

akd

40 minutes ago, Rice said:

Wow these comics got the guns wrong, I'm seething.

Yes, the PK armed guys sport something vaguely resembling an RPK. Moreover the folding stocks are all wrong! The AKS/AKMS folding stock had a totally different shape. What we see here is resembling the stock of an AKS-74.

Anyway I like those old "educational" comics! 😁

1 minute ago, Amedeo said:

Yes, the PK armed guys sport something vaguely resembling an RPK. Moreover the folding stocks are all wrong! The AKS/AKMS folding stock had a totally different shape. What we see here is resembling the stock of an AKS-74.

Anyway I like those old "educational" comics! 😁

I like they too actually haha, I enjoy the art style.

Mentioning a 115mm gun on a new tank gives an indication how old this comic is. T64A with 125mm gun began production sometime around 1967, but T64 with 115mm gun had already been in production for a year with some 500 tanks produced. I have a old magazine from 1972 with a very grainy long distance photo of a T64 'mystery tank' with 115mm gun in the snow. The author took a wild guess a 100mm turret front. I don't know how far off that was, composite armor turret front didn't appear til T64A. Does 'FV 76' on the cover mean it was published in 1976? That's an indication on how far behind they were on T64 intel.

Edited by MikeyD

5 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Mentioning a 115mm gun on a new tank gives an indication how old this comic is. T64A with 125mm gun began production sometime around 1967, but T64 with 115mm gun had already been in production for a year with some 500 tanks produced. I have a old magazine from 1972 with a very grainy long distance photo of a T64 'mystery tank' with 115mm gun in the snow. The author took a wild guess a 100mm turret front. I don't know how far off that was, composite armor turret front didn't appear til T64A. Does 'FV 76' on the cover mean it was published in 1976? That's an indication on how far behind they were on T64 intel.

The entire Soviet tank force seemed as an enigma.  Why simultaneously produce so many different tank models?  Thanks to the fighting in the Middle East, both the T62 and T55 were known.  The T72 was supposed to be a super tank.  The T64 often got puzzled looks and blank stares.  The T80 (alongside the Backfire bomber and the Alfa class SSN) were portents of impending doom.