IEDs - LOS Required After Activation?

THH149

I've created a QB to test my understanding of IEDs, but the rulebook is vague and practice is so variable I can't work out whether LOS or unsuppressed triggerman is required after activation.

So, after activation...

Wired IED: LOS? Triggerman?

Radio IED: LOS? Triggerman?

Cell IED: LOS? Triggerman?

Best

G-man

On 10/23/2020 at 8:31 PM, THH149 said:

I've created a QB to test my understanding of IEDs, but the rulebook is vague and practice is so variable I can't work out whether LOS or unsuppressed triggerman is required after activation.

So, after activation...

Wired IED: LOS? Triggerman?

Radio IED: LOS? Triggerman?

Cell IED: LOS? Triggerman? 

You need LOS to detonate the IED regardless of type.  You also need LOS for activation of Radio IEDs.

The triggerman needs LOS and has to be within proper range of the device (the three device types have different ranges).  The triggerman can't be "panicked".  If the triggerman is suppressed to the extent that his LOS, to the device, is broken (fetal position behind a low wall) he will not be able to detonate.  

If the triggerman cannot activate the IED the Target command won't be available.  If the IED is a dud then instead of showing Medium Radio IED (Activated) it will show Medium Radio IED (Malfunction).

An IED can be activated and detonated by any triggerman.  Example: A Wire triggerman can activate and/or detonate a cell or radio IED.

Some vehicles carry radio/cell IED jammers so you can't send a signal to your bomb to explode as it passes. Only wire IEDs work on those vehicles.  Bradleys & Strykers don’t have ECM jammers.  Some UK vehicles have the ECM jammer (don't remember which ones).

And just because I have these screenshots in my Imgur account.  :D  Small, medium, large & huge.  Wire, cell or radio.  

8IC7HNDh.jpg

And don't forget VBIEDs

DGXhNB2h.jpg

21 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Some vehicles carry radio/cell IED jammers so you can't send a signal to your bomb to explode as it passes. Only wire IEDs work on those vehicles.  Bradleys & Strykers don’t have ECM jammers.  Some UK vehicles have the ECM jammer (don't remember which ones).

Neither do I, but basically it is most of the armoured vehicles and the ECM fit is actually modelled in the artwork for the vehicles so you can see in-game which ones are equipped with it if you don't want to scroll through the UI panels.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/30/2020 at 9:15 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Here's a new thing since the patch.....It now seems to be possible to place IEDs directly inside a building in the scenario editor, no trickery required.

Which mode of play is better when you use IED'S Real Time or WEGO? In one of the scenarios in which IED's were used Real Time  was recommended for what I suspect were the IED's. On WEGO in the AAR's most were not used. 

21 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Which mode of play is better when you use IED'S Real Time or WEGO? In one of the scenarios in which IED's were used Real Time  was recommended for what I suspect were the IED's. On WEGO in the AAR's most were not used. 

I've had plenty of IEDs used against me by the AI playing wego. 

H

Just now, Halmbarte said:

Which scenario is that?

Abu Susah, I think for them to be truly effective the triggerman needs to time his device to perfection. That is by pushing the button at just the right time. I think that can only be done when you play Real Time by pausing the game. I just ask for a second opinion as I think the AI may just fall short. But I have not the experience required to set it up in the editor. 

5 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Abu Susah, I think for them to be truly effective the triggerman needs to time his device to perfection. That is by pushing the button at just the right time. I think that can only be done when you play Real Time by pausing the game. I just ask for a second opinion as I think the AI may just fall short. But I have not the experience required to set it up in the editor. 

No jiggery pokery needed to do this so long as you don't want to do anything overambitious.  A simple IED with a triggerman in overwatch can be achieved by placing the device where you want it and place the triggerman where you want him in the 'Deploy' screen.  Make sure that the triggerman has LOS to the device and is within range of it.  Allocate the device and triggerman to an AI group that isn't going to move or allocate the triggerman and device to their own dedicated AI group.  Set the experience, leadership and motivation soft factors as high as you can to give the AI a better likelihood of doing what you want it to do - that's all there is to it.  You are correct that the AI will not do as good a job as a human player in real time but that's the same for any other unit controlled by the AI.

@Combatintman Don't know if you recall all the trickery I went to in order to get an IED in a building, but now all you have to do is place the Triggerman where you want the IED (using Face to get him to the exact spot inside the building/room), then select the IED you want to use and Move it to his location by clicking on his icon.  You can then move the Triggerman elsewhere to place more.  :ph34r:

It would be nice if we could purchase extra IEDs.