Premature Surrender

Pandur

Guarding POW's was a fun subgame in CM1.  If one knew where one's captured troops were one could send out patrols to try and rescue them by getting close and ensuring that an enemy was absent/eliminated.  However in CM1 the liberated POW's could never pick up weapons and were permanently unarmed and therefore not able to "occupy" territory for game VP calculations.  

Seems like a backward step that in CM2 a weak beat up team can "occupy" an objective and dispute ownership vs a much more powerful enemy force.  

14 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

The fact that surrendering OpFor units don't quickly disappear is a give away that other OpFor units are in proximity to the surrendering unit. 

Yep, it they don't disappear in a few minutes then it's a clue that they have friends near by that are telling them they are coming to help.

If you have men who have surendered you can rescue them be pushing the enemy further away.

On 11/28/2021 at 1:11 AM, Ultradave said:

What happens when you go into the building with the surrendering units? I don't think they'll disappear until you are there and "take custody" of them.

Dave

Yes, once I moved some infantry to the same building then surrender was finished.  It just felt strange that the enemy soldiers kept their hands up forever when my soldiers were threatening them from outside, but wouldn't 100% surrender. I thought IRL hands up means you have already dropped your weapons and are ready to obey the commands of the enemy.

Edited by SlowMotion

Some good points...

1. Changing the engine-coded surrender mechanics would, as mentioned, "break" earlier scenarios and campaigns.

2. I have no idea how much work it would entail to change the engine-coded behavior. (Morale in this game is more complex than it seems at first glance.)

3. There are work-arounds, again previously mentioned (reinforcements after game end and/or hidden objectives with higher HQ towards the rear), but that may not help for the battles created without them.

My suggestion would be to allow the behavior to stay the same...except for this: when the AI wishes to surrender, the game does not end. Instead, the player would get a screen, "The Enemy wishes to Surrender. Do you accept?" with a "Keep Fighting" or "Collect the Prisoners" option.

The problem there is that the Global Morale of the defeated enemy will be poor and it may keep trying to surrender, unless that behavior is suppressed.

Again, it would entail extra coding and may or may not have unforeseen ramifications.  (Complex systems behave in complex manners.  ;) )