Be Not The Anvil

1 hour ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Man, I love Bud Backer AAR's.

CM and great comics. Awesome combo.

Thanks, man! Appreciate that! With everyone at home these days I thought something fun might be I order so I posted this sooner than originally planned.

56 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

Bud Backer is clearly an undercover marketing agent for BF.  I am finally going to buy CMBS.  I had put it off because so busy w the other titles, and the lethality scares me, but it's time.  No sports, lots of time around the house, why not a nice trip to Ukraine.  That gives me all the titles except afghanistan.

Haha! Not so undercover, really. Those Beta showcase comics ARE intended to get people interested. But creating this comic is purely to satisfy my own desire to get something out for CMBS. It’s (in my opinion) far more interesting than the (Seemingly) limited scope would make some infer. 

37 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

Just looked on the web and all are available at a bargin (10eur). Turned out we just missed one, so ordered it on the fly. Thanks! 

You’re very welcome! They are such superb comics, I’m happy to see someone snatch them up. :)

11 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

+1.  That's cool.  Kind of like a campaign tree. 

Thank you. I realized when I was 2/3 into creating this that it might be really confusing where the squad is at different points. Because the POV is kept purposely restricted, I thought a map with the key locations on it would make following the action easier, but not kill my concept of showing (almost) exclusively what the squad sees.

I know some folks like @Michael Emrys like a more easy to follow map and it’s a valid point. I hope that in conjunction with pagination that this works. 

Edited by Bud Backer
A missing “t” can really change a sentence’s meaning...

1 minute ago, Freyberg said:

Cool story - and those are great images, well chosen for action and they look lovely :)

Thank you! I hope the enemy tank being hit is visible in the last frame. If not, remember that these images are all higher resolution than the forum shows and one can Click on them for more detail. 

9 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

Thank you! I hope the enemy tank being hit is visible in the last frame. If not, remember that these images are all higher resolution than the forum shows and one can Click on them for more detail. 

I didn't know that ! That's a nice frame in hi res - the silhouette just vaguely visible in the smoke...

4 minutes ago, Freyberg said:

I didn't know that ! That's a nice frame in hi res - the silhouette just vaguely visible in the smoke...

Modern armour has a fair bit of smoke and the smoke itself is quite generous when it blooms. There are a number of shots that I toyed with for some atmosphere. :)

Bud,

Oh Yes!  This is soooo cool.  Thanks for yet another graphic adventure.  I stumbled on this and it is just as neat as the others.

For some reason, I can't see the previous three posts though.  :(

When I had more time, I'd do storylines like these, but just with screenshots, not comic versions.  I like your new software, but I never got reader boredom from the standard comic book boxes, so either version you choose works for me.  

I remember back when I waited anxiously for my Sgt. Rock comic to arrive.  I'd just look at the cover for a few days to enjoy the anticipation, knowing that as soon as I started, I'd be through very quickly, and then have to wait for the next one.  I'm sure the mail deliverer read them before putting them in the mailbox.  I'm glad you stretch these out a bit, so we have to take a break before your next post of actions. 

Love your work, Bud.  Gorokhov needs to school his men not to cheer too soon, haha.  As the US squad leaders say, in game, "Let's have some noise discipline here.:  ;)

Heinrich505

Ugh, friggin' Google Photos. The three images I posted today showed for a few hours and then have broken links. I have redone them and the same thing happened. This time I changed how I get the URL. Can anyone coming by here tell me if they see them all now? There should be no missing images anywhere in this thread at this point. Do me an even bigger favour and clear your browser cache and try again, just to be sure. 

Thank you for your help. 

2 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

Bud,

Oh Yes!  This is soooo cool.  Thanks for yet another graphic adventure.  I stumbled on this and it is just as neat as the others.

For some reason, I can't see the previous three posts though.  :(

When I had more time, I'd do storylines like these, but just with screenshots, not comic versions.  I like your new software, but I never got reader boredom from the standard comic book boxes, so either version you choose works for me.  

I remember back when I waited anxiously for my Sgt. Rock comic to arrive.  I'd just look at the cover for a few days to enjoy the anticipation, knowing that as soon as I started, I'd be through very quickly, and then have to wait for the next one.  I'm sure the mail deliverer read them before putting them in the mailbox.  I'm glad you stretch these out a bit, so we have to take a break before your next post of actions. 

Love your work, Bud.  Gorokhov needs to school his men not to cheer too soon, haha.  As the US squad leaders say, in game, "Let's have some noise discipline here.:  ;)

Heinrich505

Hey Heinrich! So good to see you here. I miss your little vignettes; they are always entertaining and poignant. I hope the missing pictures show for you now. 

5 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

Ugh, friggin' Google Photos. The three images I posted today showed for a few hours and then have broken links. I have redone them and the same thing happened. This time I changed how I get the URL. Can anyone coming by here tell me if they see them all now? There should be no missing images anywhere in this thread at this point. Do me an even bigger favour and clear your browser cache and try again, just to be sure. 

Thank you for your help. 

See all of them! Luckily 😉

That turret turning should have them wetted their pants.

Bud,

i see them now.  Thanks!  Whatever you did works.  

I'm following with interest.  They got real lucky that the tank didn't fire - maybe the crew was overcome by fumes.    They also got lucky their own guys didn't open fire on them when they came busting rearward out of the smokescreen.  So, bad luck is they lost two guys.  Good luck is they didn't get blown up by the tank and didn't get gunned down by friendly fire.  They are breaking even so far, haha.  

The modern battlefield is so deadly, as you noted.  I'm wondering how much longer these crunchies are going to last, dashing around the big tracked monsters in the smoke.

Heinrich505

3 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

See all of them! Luckily 😉

That turret turning should have them wetted their pants.

Thanks for checking.  👌

Watching the turret turn it certainly made me scream in anticipation of the squad's total annihilation. It's one of those moments in the game that feels insanely believable. 

Just now, Heinrich505 said:

Bud,

i see them now.  Thanks!  Whatever you did works.  

I'm following with interest.  They got real lucky that the tank didn't fire - maybe the crew was overcome by fumes.    They also got lucky their own guys didn't open fire on them when they came busting rearward out of the smokescreen.  So, bad luck is they lost two guys.  Good luck is they didn't get blown up by the tank and didn't get gunned down by friendly fire.  They are breaking even so far, haha.  

The modern battlefield is so deadly, as you noted.  I'm wondering how much longer these crunchies are going to last, dashing around the big tracked monsters in the smoke.

Heinrich505

Awesome, that makes me glad. 

I do not know what happened inside that tank. I never asked @IanL but maybe if he swings by this thread he'll comment. 

The smoke screens turned out to be an incredible blessing most times in my favour in this battle. There was a lot of heavy metal poking about that area and since it was my enemy whose tanks discharged the smoke it was funny that it kept working for me rather than him. Since I knew where he was I just had to position my T90s and... well you'll see what happens. 

Bud,

Whenever I started those vignettes, my biggest worry was that all the guys would get wiped out so quickly that there wouldn't be any story.  That's why I always used several groups of soldiers or different tank commanders, just in case some of the story characters got wiped out quickly.  The game is unpredictable at times, so you take your chances and hope for the best for your pixeltruppen.  It had me holding my breath so many times during a storyline.

You are mighty brave, focusing solely on a single squad.  I was holding my breath with you as that tank swung the barrel onto your squad.

Heinrich505

Yes, focusing on any one unit is always risky. The comics where I cover a full battle is a lot more work but also less likely to result in no story at all five minutes in. 

And waiting for a day or more to know if that tank will kill my squad was brutal... the turn ended with the gun pointed right at them!