Be Not The Anvil

Guys if anyone has trouble seeing the images I post please let me know right away. There should never be broken image links in my comics threads (and I have to fix a few dozen in one comic in CMBN, all others are ok).

Edited by Bud Backer

Bakhtiyarov drives like a wild man towards the trapped squad survivors while hoping/trusting/praying/having blind faith that the supporting tanks will take out an enemy tank that he is essentially driving straight towards.  Sheesh!  Did he marry the Serzhant's sister or something? Or is he afraid of the officer that ordered him on this stunt?

I like this guy - he's got chutzhpah (or however you spell it)!  If he didn't need two hands on the wheel, I'd guess he was swilling Vodka one-handed while singing some crazy Russian Techno-pop song.

Thanks Bud.  Now we are following the sniper driver too.  Keep him safe.  Someone's got to go back to get ammo and vodka soon.  :P

6 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

Bakhtiyarov drives like a wild man towards the trapped squad survivors while hoping/trusting/praying/having blind faith that the supporting tanks will take out an enemy tank that he is essentially driving straight towards.  Sheesh!  Did he marry the Serzhant's sister or something? Or is he afraid of the officer that ordered him on this stunt?

I like this guy - he's got chutzhpah (or however you spell it)!  If he didn't need two hands on the wheel, I'd guess he was swilling Vodka one-handed while singing some crazy Russian Techno-pop song.

Thanks Bud.  Now we are following the sniper driver too.  Keep him safe.  Someone's got to go back to get ammo and vodka soon.  :P

You know how it is: never volunteer for anything... And this is the cheapest way to effect a rescue; no point in risking ten times the men you're trying to save, right? ;) As for his taste in music? Ugh, some crazy metal crap that scares the neighbours that artillery is landing in Moskva. :blink:

Oh yes, I'd forgotten - there was a bombardment being called in right on top of them.  Wow that was tight!  I was waiting for some hidden tank to blast the Tigr just as the squad jumped inside it.  That would have been my luck...:P

Nice extraction there - a little too close for comfort.  I'm sure the Serzhant has a warm and fuzzy feeling about how valued he is by his officers in the grand scheme of things.

"What?  Those bastidges were calling artillery right on top of us?"

Did you have the Tigr driving fast or quick?  Just curious.

Heinrich505

4 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

Oh yes, I'd forgotten - there was a bombardment being called in right on top of them.  Wow that was tight!  I was waiting for some hidden tank to blast the Tigr just as the squad jumped inside it.  That would have been my luck...:P

Nice extraction there - a little too close for comfort.  I'm sure the Serzhant has a warm and fuzzy feeling about how valued he is by his officers in the grand scheme of things.

"What?  Those bastidges were calling artillery right on top of us?"

Did you have the Tigr driving fast or quick?  Just curious.

Heinrich505

I was concerned about some sort of surprise as well, but at the same time, trained on those trees and that slope were not less than 4 125mm guns, and another 8 or more 100mm. And Gorokhov's men should have had some other sign of enemy vehicles in the immediate vicinity. I had to get those men out while artillery scoured the enemy crunchies, more than anything, and it wasn't worth the risk of sending in more valuable vehicles that an RPG would take out easily at close range. 

Bakhtiyarov drove it like he stole it. Pedal down all the way. It's a pretty zippy, tough little truck, and despite taking fire and being hit multiple times it remained undamaged and the occupants uninjured through the whole rescue operation. 

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Yes, much fun.  Thanks...

You’re welcome! Thanks for commenting.

1 hour ago, Heinrich505 said:

Well, you had me holding my breath through the whole rescue operation.  Nice job!

Good. You weren’t alone. I was really nervous about the whole affair.

And again when making it into a comic. How to present the tension of the moment? How to portray the rescue? :unsure:

Edited by Bud Backer

I'd be guessing that Gorokhov was already wary of "getting too far ahead," as relates to his narrow escape in the earlier incident.  :unsure:

Things don't look too cover friendly up ahead.  He might want to slow down just a bit and let someone else buck for Hero of the Soviet...er, I mean, Hero of Mother Russia.  

Bud, if all all possible, would you periodically keep us posted on Bakhtiyarov and what he is up to as well?  It doesn't have to be storyline panels, but I'm curious.  If it complicates things too much, then you can disregard. 

As usual, your story-telling prowess leaves us wanting more!

Heinrich505 

9 hours ago, Splinty said:

These are awesome Bud! Keep 'em coming!

Thanks, Splinty! Definitely more to come on this!

7 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Looks awesome Bud! 

Thanks, amigo! :) Wasn't sure I was gonna publish this one but I'm glad I did. 

7 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

I'd be guessing that Gorokhov was already wary of "getting too far ahead," as relates to his narrow escape in the earlier incident.  :unsure:

Things don't look too cover friendly up ahead.  He might want to slow down just a bit and let someone else buck for Hero of the Soviet...er, I mean, Hero of Mother Russia.  

Bud, if all all possible, would you periodically keep us posted on Bakhtiyarov and what he is up to as well?  It doesn't have to be storyline panels, but I'm curious.  If it complicates things too much, then you can disregard. 

As usual, your story-telling prowess leaves us wanting more!

Heinrich505 

The thing about this battle is something I suspect many low-ranking infantry-men might relate to - not having the full details on what is happening where around them, beyond generalities. It makes it scary to move, and to not move. Either could be a mistake. When 60-ton behemoths start slugging it out with one another, its a scary place to be. And you have no choice but to go where you're told...

I won't reveal anything about our crazy driver, but you will hear about Bakhtiyarov again, no fear. :)

Edited by Bud Backer
Trimming dead white space...