Be Not The Anvil

58 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Another great tale Bud, cool to see one of the modern titles featured.....Do you have CM:SF2? 

Yes! And let me quote myself here ;)

On 4/2/2020 at 9:57 AM, Bud Backer said:

If @37mm and his merry band of modders choose to make an African-setting variant of their superb mod for CMSF2, I will do one for that game too. I have ideas... and Syria doesn't interest me in the least as a setting. 

Bud,

Great stuff.  I like how the Leytenant says "we" have to scout for enemy tanks, but he's pointing to Gorohkov.  I'm sure he will lay back and delegate missions.  :P

Nice to see the Tigr in its role as an AFV.  It seemed very close to that Ukranian tank that got toasted by the BMV in the nick of time, but we also know the driver is completely out of his mind, heh heh.  Maybe, too close!  Another near miss for our intrepid band of warriors.  If Gorohkov was a cat, he'd be down to 5 lives by now.  

And, is that Russian artillery snapping down near where our happy band is running towards?  Maybe the term "Danger Close" doesn't exist in the Russian high command. :unsure:  They should be hitting the ground for sure - some of those are airbursts.  Yikes!!!

I'm still on the edge of my seat for this, Bud.  Great job!

Heinrich505

19 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

Bud,

Great stuff.  I like how the Leytenant says "we" have to scout for enemy tanks, but he's pointing to Gorohkov.  I'm sure he will lay back and delegate missions.  :P

Nice to see the Tigr in its role as an AFV.  It seemed very close to that Ukranian tank that got toasted by the BMV in the nick of time, but we also know the driver is completely out of his mind, heh heh.  Maybe, too close!  Another near miss for our intrepid band of warriors.  If Gorohkov was a cat, he'd be down to 5 lives by now.  

And, is that Russian artillery snapping down near where our happy band is running towards?  Maybe the term "Danger Close" doesn't exist in the Russian high command. :unsure:  They should be hitting the ground for sure - some of those are airbursts.  Yikes!!!

I'm still on the edge of my seat for this, Bud.  Great job!

Heinrich505

You must have once been under some terrible officers, Heinrich, the way you despise them all! :lol:

Actually they were quite safe getting to the crossroads and ducking into those trees. The Ukrainian tanks nearby were sorted out by a nasty crossfire from multiple T90s and BMPs, the one that you see charging ahead put the coup-de-grace in the last one. That smoke has been a lifesaver time after time...

And yes, there is artillery just finishing up ahead. In fact there is artillery landing in a lot of spots in short concentrated bombardments to stun/incapacitate any infantry waiting in the woods. 

4 hours ago, Freyberg said:

Tense!

Good, it's supposed to be! 

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Gripping stuff!  :D

These were some of the most nerve-wracking moments. 

45 minutes ago, Heinrich505 said:

Bud,

Those are some crazy "mad minutes."  Nicely done.  Nah, I don't have anything against officers - I was just thinking out loud for Gorokhov.

This is some intense action you are showing us.  B)

Heinrich505

Haha just teasing!

By this point it was taking me 30+ minutes per turn to examine multiple turn replays and then issue my orders. Ian was shrewd in his use of tanks and it was really difficult to advance without something blowing up. 

Edited by Bud Backer

14 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Keep m coming! 🙂

More below!

6 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Those terrible moments you know hell is going to break loose soon and hit your men! Nerve wrecking!

Nerve-wracking to not be sure if you’re pushing too hard or need rush even more!

19 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

My brain was exploding when my own BMP chased away my T90 and it didn't take the perfect shot at Ian's tank. I mean, look at that picture... its a perfect set up and the enemy was totally unprepared!!! Argh!

I got to live another day. If memory serves that is my last tank. It is the top HQ on the battlefield and the tank commander was renamed to be my name. Just to make the game a little more personal.

32 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's CM for you!  ;)

I'd take that a step further and say, that's combat for you! Because moments like these are to me what sets CM games apart from any other. So I gnash my teeth on the one hand and scream "that's bloody brilliant" on the other!

21 minutes ago, IanL said:

I got to live another day. If memory serves that is my last tank. It is the top HQ on the battlefield and the tank commander was renamed to be my name. Just to make the game a little more personal.

That certainly does make it more personal. I always forget to do that!