Tall corn field?

Just to confuse people some refer to all fields growing cereals as corn fields, whilst others only use it to describe maize fields. So those Limeys might be walking through a field of wheat, but to them they are in a corn field.

Of course, it they tried it at home, there would be someone yelling "Get orf, my land".

CMSf2 does have corn (maze) fields. CMFI and CMBS have yellow rape seed ('canola'). What does CMBN have? Lavender, I believe. The corn isn't "as tall as an elephant's eye" but its just the height that a kneeling man can peek over. Years ago I had asked for a super-tall crop type (for ripe maze and sunflowers) but was told no. They saw no utility in coding a 'standing man can't see anything' terrain crop.

Corn.jpg

Edited by MikeyD

interesting discussion
on the picture of British soldiers advancing in the wheat field, we can see that it happens to them half of the body, not that it is small but at the time the wheat was almost double in size of the one that we find currently in the fields, then we had need the straw!

in 1944 corn was only grown in southwestern France

flax and oats were widely grown in Normandy and Battlefront put it in the game. This is not a coincidence, but it demonstrates the level of research done by BATLEFRONT for game design.

9 hours ago, lsailer said:

Maybe a taller than a tank crop, too (like hops, 

Sadly no hop gardens in Normandy, and it would be the wrong season for the Battle of the Bulge.

I did once find hops growing wildly in a village not far from Hell's Highway but I don't think that would warrant their inclusion in the game.

19 hours ago, Ales Dvorak said:

That sort of looks like it...but I have no mods installed, so it would have to have been part of the standard BFC repertoire.

I have to concede now that I think about it, that it might not have been in a game I was playing, but in a screenshot of a game some other player had posted in the Forum. It's been three years or more, with the emphasis on 'more'. 

Michael

Hm... maybe enlarging the bitmap plane by means of @Aquila-CM methods gives us tall corn? Unfortunately there´s no mdr file to be found for doodads, at least I haven´t discovered any yet (just like that misterious wall thing). In case of adding as flavor object, poster*.mdr might serve as a base (simple 4x4 plane). Though it wouldn´t weave in the wind, nor giving proper LOS/concealment. Just an idea. Other than that, BFC might think about adding taller generic doodad sets and allow texture modding to ones desires (tall corn, reed, ...). Could be put in the yet very empty "Brush" category maybe.

3 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Hm... maybe enlarging the bitmap plane by means of @Aquila-CM methods gives us tall corn? Unfortunately there´s no mdr file to be found for doodads, at least I haven´t discovered any yet (just like that misterious wall thing). In case of adding as flavor object, poster*.mdr might serve as a base (simple 4x4 plane). Though it wouldn´t weave in the wind, nor giving proper LOS/concealment.

This could work. Also Bushes, Hedges, and Trees come with models and could be replaced giving los blocking. However I didn´t work much with foliage models so can´t tell for sure.

18 hours ago, Aquila-CM said:

This could work. Also Bushes, Hedges, and Trees come with models and could be replaced giving los blocking. However I didn´t work much with foliage models so can´t tell for sure.

some intersecting billboard types might suffice (can´t remember where I´ve seen this, CMX1 maybe...?... could´ve been Panzer Elite..) as replacement and can´t recall ATM if it must be 2 or 256 color Alpha´s for foliage. (IIRC it must be 2 color for flavors) Main reason is these won´t behave like common tall grass objects regarding LOS blocking (or concealment) and don´t always turn toward the camera like the grass billboards do. Thus fixed intersecting geometry at least providing bits of a 3D effect. Also no weaving in wind FX, but think one can live with that. But just an idea and for those that really need it.

Yep, was Panzer Elite using mentioned, fixed billboard types. https://combatace.com/uploads/monthly_11_2014/post-66801-0-58833400-1416439176.jpg