recon data from helicopter strikes

One thing I have been wondering: would it be unrealistic if your units got some basic intelligence data from helicopters when helicopters are doing an air strike to some area where your units do not have line of sight?  I mean situations like when your own units are located on one side of a hill, the helo air strike happens to the other side of the hill that your units can't see. If helicopters can target enemy units there couldn't they share something about what they see on the other side of the hill?   Like "3 tanks and some infantry". And this would add enemy symbols to the map, the same way as when recon drones fly over some area.

No it wouldn't be unrealistic, particularly if the ground unit has a JTAC. In recent conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, there would be an extended dialogue between the crew and the JTAC to confirm the target which would include the aircrew describing what they can see so that the JTAC can confirm that what they are looking is the authorised/intended target.

I've read a book about British use of Apache in Afganistan and that dialogue was exactly what I read.
If possible the helicopter crew tried to ensure they are hitting the right target - like certain building in a village.
Surely they would mention if they see some armored vehicle hiding somewhere etc.

Edited by SlowMotion

I was just playing a CMSF2 scenario  where I did at least 2 helo strikes to behind a hill locations. Once the battle ended there were lots of vehicles there that I had no idea of. So at least in this case I did not get new recon info. I was playing using British troops.

4 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

Isn't this already implemented (at least, in BS)?

In the UKR campaign, Hinds would report rough locations of AFVs, which were obscured by buildings.

was that really in BS? cant say I noticed that while playing and I have not noticed it in CMSF2

For more conventional conflicts, and I don't know how far down the route the Brits are with it, but in theory, the radar on the Apache should be acquiring vehicle targets from a reasonable distance. If the networking thing is working, those contacts should then be replicated on Battle Management Systems across the force.

A question (based on no research). Would aircraft recon be dependent on command links? Most scenario designers (and QB players) don't bother to keep the battalion commander on the map. If aircraft recon info flows from the top-down deleting the top brass in the scenario may have negative consequences. Again, just speculating based on nothing.

On 3/22/2019 at 11:25 PM, IanL said:

Air missions no not provide intel of any kind to the caller or anyone else. Well other than smoke plumes they might generate by scoring hits on enemy vehicles.

Do you think it would be possible to change the game so that some spotting info would be transferred?  It's good to know there is a tank waiting behind a hill even if you don't know exact tank type or its accurate location.