Daily Challenge

My daughter has been playing a few battles with me from time to time and I think is starting to get the hang of how things work. Her boyfriend tried to play the CMBN demo against me over Christmas and very quickly got frustrated by the number of units he needed to figure out how to manoeuvre. To make the process a little easier, I built a couple of very small quick battles for them to try to fight the AI, with a very small force. I wanted to teach them how to properly fight with a small force, so hopefully a bigger one would be more manageable, a lesson I need to relearn all the time if you ask anyone of my PBEM opponents! 

This got me wondering if anyone here is interested in these battles, and if introducing them as a daily challenge would hold any appeal? I would post a new small scenario every day and you would have until I post the next scenario to add a screen shot of your results. Highest score with the lowest losses wins the day.  My plan would be to create some battles for each of the 4 WW2 titles, one title for each week. 

Before getting too carried away with this idea, I have 3 battles for CMFI+GL ready to go. You can find them here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rcse7lwjhh7evk3/AAAaaP3xFpX856IasIER4Dzia?dl=0

The rules are quite simple:

Play as the Allies, Trees turned on, and in Iron mode. Post a screenshot of your results.I9hDBqq.png

Please give them a try and let me know what you think of the idea.

same suggestion. post a new game on Friday night and give them 24 to 36 hours to post back or something like that. (Then make it a once a week activity. ) doing it every day might seem a little much even if it seems very simple.

Also you did not make it clear, which of the 3 battles are you wanting back and why have three battle up on the site if you only wanted one back.

So that leaves not allowing access to a game before the time frame is a key factor to your concept. So two of them battles already have extra time unless you want them all back today.

43 minutes ago, slysniper said:

same suggestion. post a new game on Friday night and give them 24 to 36 hours to post back or something like that. (Then make it a once a week activity. ) doing it every day might seem a little much even if it seems very simple.

Also you did not make it clear, which of the 3 battles are you wanting back and why have three battle up on the site if you only wanted one back.

So that leaves not allowing access to a game before the time frame is a key factor to your concept. So two of them battles already have extra time unless you want them all back today.

You are right, my post was not clear on specifics. I was thinking to start the daily battles on February 1st and posted these ones up as a teaser for what the battles could look like. I was hoping for feedback on the idea, the length and size of the battle, the scoring parameters and the timeframe given for players to complete the challenges. 

Given the first responses are already suggesting a week timeframe instead of daily, perhaps that is the route these should go. 

As for which battle to play first, it doesn't really matter. I posted them for feedback purposes only and to hopefully spark some interest in the community. My plan is to try to make battles using some of the lesser used units and vehicles. The CMBN battle I am working on features units included with the vehicle pack.

If there is interest in the idea, I would post up a new battle on February 1st, it will be a CMBN battle, and players would have a week to post their results. 

A note about the battles posted already, the AI has multiple setup options for each battle. If you play through once and get a poor result, don't expect the enemy to be in the exact same location the next time. 

Sounds good but I would not give them a week to play them to score for points. I think 1 to 2 days seems better (limit the amount of replays people might do).

I was suggesting that you only posted one a week at a certain time each week. That would be for your own well being more than anything else.

It sounds like a great idea - lots of small battles would be really good from my point of view. In the short term I would probably be able to manage once a week, for the next three weeks at least. I tried downloading the first ones and putting them in the CMFI Scenarios folder but when I go into the game I can't see them (running a mac, but not sure that is relevant).

3 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

If you are making your young friend play in Iron Mode, it's no wonder he gets frustrated and confused. Why not start him off in something a bit more user-friendly like Basic or Veteran?

Michael

Geez for being so old, you are a slow learner. Obviously he doesn’t want the young man dating his daughter. 

11 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

If you are making your young friend play in Iron Mode, it's no wonder he gets frustrated and confused. Why not start him off in something a bit more user-friendly like Basic or Veteran?

Michael

I don't make him play in iron mode or with trees fixed on. When I am trying to teach the game to someone new, we always start off the first battle in scenario author mode so they can see what is all happening and how the AI reacts to their forces. From there, I go to Iron mode so they get a very good idea of what C2 looks like and what their units are experiencing on the battlefield. 

That was the point of playing these battles in Iron mode for you as well, a gentle reminder of how C2 works in the game. When you have a very small number of units and they get out of contact with each other, they can become rather fragile quickly if under fire. Iron mode shows this better than any other mode of play as units out of contact disappear when you select one part of your force.

14 minutes ago, sburke said:

Well he is Canadian.  An American would be more apt to go directly to fire arms. 

I have a shotgun and he has heard all about my shooting skills. So far the rumors have been enough to keep him in line. And my mustache scares him so no need to jump to straight to the guns.

11 minutes ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

When you have a very small number of units and they get out of contact with each other, they can become rather fragile quickly if under fire.

I don't think there's any effect on units from being out of contact with each other - apart from with their immediate HQ.

But iron mode is useful for getting a better understanding of the limits to unit spotting in general.

1 hour ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:
1 hour ago, sburke said:

Well he is Canadian.  An American would be more apt to go directly to fire arms. 

I have a shotgun and he has heard all about my shooting skills. So far the rumors have been enough to keep him in line. And my mustache scares him so no need to jump to straight to the guns.

LOL from @Heirloom_Tomato's comments and his handle I figured he was a farmer and therefore a firearm would be available. As a Canadian he is probably just trying to be more subtle :) . You know so he can preserve the vale of politeness. 

Edited by IanL

5 hours ago, IanL said:

LOL from @Heirloom_Tomato's comments and his handle I figured he was a farmer and therefore a firearm would be available. As a Canadian he is probably just trying to be more subtle :) . You know so he can preserve the vale of politeness. 

Heirloom Tomato does not sound like the kind of farmer with a shotgun.  More like some tie dyed stoner.  Hmm maybe I should go hang out there...

51 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Judging from @Heirloom_Tomato avatar, I'm guessing tomatoes ...........:D :lol:   And it is southern Ontario so he probably has 4 1/2 to 5 months. :)   

The main source of my farming activities is raising pigs to satisfy all your ham and bacon cravings. We also grow corn, soybeans and wheat to feed all those hungry pigs. 

My wife and I also grow a large garden every year to feed our brood of kids. All the extra produce we have gets sold at our local farmers market. If you have ever eaten an heirloom tomato you will know why we only grow them.