German Field Fortifications on the Eastern Front. Album of Drawings

George MC

5 hours ago, c3k said:

The cool thing, if it's anything like my military experience, after you've dug all that, run the comm links, camo'ed it up, put the overhead cover on, then you're up and moving again the next day. ;)

Is that your plan for a new scenario? Have the player go through set up phase, hit the big red button only to be told you are now moving, start over. Combat Mission dig the latrine 

11 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

You're evil. I can respect that.

:D

Michael

TBH if there were some way of locking in the player's work (Persistent Map Damage/Static Unit Locking?) I would genuinely do something like this in a campaign format.....Have them build their fortifications, then mutate the scenario into an unexpected advance to exit-zone type mission.  Then I'd bung in a damned difficult decision point scenario, if the player wins we move on down the road, but if he loses he falls back to all those cunningly placed fortifications, giving him the opportunity to defend from a strong fixed position while his forces reinforce & regroup.

I like missions with a story line, done right it gets the player involved in a way that even the most beautiful map or most stupendous AI planning just can't (IMHO of course).  B).

The strange Irony here is that in CM1 it was tricky to genuinely personalise the game sufficiently to get a really immersive storyline going, but with static campaigns and persistent map damage we had all the tools to build the background scenery.....In CM2+ on the other hand we can personalise units to our hearts content, mixing and matching, chopping & changing until we have (pretty much) exactly what we want, but sadly these days the damned set designers are on strike!  :P

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

13 hours ago, Pete Wenman said:

Our SOP in BAOR was to move the battle group CP every eight hours or so if we were using the radios.

Presupposing:

a. If it was an Active Edge that the RPs had rounded everybody up from the bars.

b. The Panzers started and made it out of camp.

c. That the radios actually worked.

I'm sure the REME were the busiest blokes in 1 (BR) Corps during exercise season and Active Edge crash outs ;).