Future US AFV development

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Misunderstandings happen.....So back to the tanks perchance?  B)

I was very pleased to discover that the Abrams has been brought up to an acceptable standard in the years since 1989:

http://www.electrothermal.com/adminimages/Electrothermal_editorial.pdf

Courtesy of Sturgeon's House once again.  :D

3 hours ago, Armorgunner said:

Just woundering if your real nickname is IanL, or sburke? And Saint_Fuller to. Always strange when a lot of "under 20 posters" suddenly drops by at the same time :D

How dare you defame @IanL by equating him with some miscreant. Oh wait that is me.  Well the point still stands!

I've a bit more than 20 posts. I assume Roman numerals in Sweden are the same in English 

Why you decided to take a shot at me at this point considering I have been pretty diplomatic so far is odd. Well goes to show how much being diplomatic was worth. @Sgt.Squarehead you are wrong. His issue isn't trying to have a discussion in a non native language. He is quite successfully employing English in a belittling immature sarcastic manner. I'd say his English is quite proficient when it comes to being a jerk so I have to assume if he genuinely wanted to have a productive discussion he could. That he chooses not to is his choice. It is ours whether we continue to participate. I have better things to do, I just noticed some fresh belly button lint.

burke out

Just trying to chill things out, maybe salvage some actual content from the thread.  ;)

BTW have you noticed how OP's military-technology threads have a tendency to randomly explode, usually catching all manner of bystanders in the frag-pattern!  :P

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Just trying to chill things out, maybe salvage some actual content from the thread.  ;)

BTW have you noticed how OP's military-technology threads have a tendency to randomly explode, usually catching all manner of bystanders in the frag-pattern!  :P

I seem to have inadvertently started WW3 through starting this thread. Apologies.

However being part Swiss I shall remain neutral; and sell arms to both sides making hug profits which I shall keep in my secret bank account - while, like Dr Blofeld stroking my cat - who is not a white Persian by the way

IMG0028A.jpg

7 hours ago, sburke said:

How dare you defame @IanL by equating him with some miscreant. Oh wait that is me.  Well the point still stands!

I've a bit more than 20 posts. I assume Roman numerals in Sweden are the same in English 

Why you decided to take a shot at me at this point considering I have been pretty diplomatic so far is odd. Well goes to show how much being diplomatic was worth. @Sgt.Squarehead you are wrong. His issue isn't trying to have a discussion in a non native language. He is quite successfully employing English in a belittling immature sarcastic manner. I'd say his English is quite proficient when it comes to being a jerk so I have to assume if he genuinely wanted to have a productive discussion he could. That he chooses not to is his choice. It is ours whether we continue to participate. I have better things to do, I just noticed some fresh belly button lint.

burke out

I dont think you have been that diplomatic. I think me and panzer, even if we didn't agree. Had a good discussion. Then from nowhere, you 5 guys attack mé from all directions att the same time. Thats when I started with sarcasm. Since Im sitting with google translate  support all the time. It takes time to write answers for me. But lets just agree, that we don't agree :D

I think sburke has been very tolerant and diplomatic.  I think you need to go back and look at your reactions to people that don't agree with you.

btw, accusing a couple of long-time forum contributors of being sock puppets is a one way ticket to losing all credibility.  Its an immature reaction to not getting your way.

Edited by Thewood1

3 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

I think sburke has been very tolerant and diplomatic.  I think you need to go back and look at your reactions to people that don't agree with you.

btw, accusing a couple of long-time forum contributors of being sock puppets is a one way ticket to losing all credibility.  Its an immature reaction to not getting your way.

I was Quick to say I was sorry for that though.

1 hour ago, Armorgunner said:

Since Im sitting with google translate  support all the time. It takes time to write answers for me.

That may be a big part of your problem. Your butchered English is an additional irritant, for me a very serious one. I haven't harped on it because that is not what these forums are about, but it makes effective communication extra difficult regardless of how good-intentioned you may be.

What you do now is your choice to make, but if you will accept some fatherly advice, you might be better off to read more and post less, meanwhile learning real English. As I say, it is your choice, but I genuinely wish the best for you and all of us.

Michael

13 hours ago, Armorgunner said:

Just woundering if your real nickname is IanL, or sburke? And Saint_Fuller to. Always strange when a lot of "under 20 posters" suddenly drops by at the same time :D

No it's just that I don't post a lot but this thread is exceptional enough to grab my interest.

2 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

That may be a big part of your problem. Your butchered English is an additional irritant, for me a very serious one. I haven't harped on it because that is not what these forums are about, but it makes effective communication extra difficult regardless of how good-intentioned you may be.

What you do now is your choice to make, but if you will accept some fatherly advice, you might be better off to read more and post less, meanwhile learning real English. As I say, it is your choice, but I genuinely wish the best for you and all of us.

Michael

I will consider that. Maybe not just to stop irritate you. But last evening i almost didn't speak to my family at all. It takes to much time for meg to write. And even if you think it was everybody against me. I got strong support in pm by other members. So i never felt alone. 

Wish you the best to 

Theoretically, it -seems- like a gas turbine's higher idle burn would give a diesel engine a significant advantage. As shown, that advantage is not as great in actuality. (Yes, it's bad enough that US Army bolted generators onto the Abrams. But having them has created a lot of benefits. Didn't the Tiger II have a small generator? One of the German tanks did... Shrug.)

Theoretically, that armor gap -seems- like a weakness. As has been shown, it has never been an issue. PSKW has explained that thoroughly.

As an example, theoretically, every tank is susceptible to my new anti-tank device. It's a helicopter with a strong electromagnet hanging off its winch. I foresee a fleet of heavy lift choppers bursting forth, magnets dangling, and overflying the enemy armor formation. At a signal, each helicopter pounces upon its pre-designated prey. Clamping on, they engage full torque and, beating the air into submission, they lift the tanks higher and higher. Within moments, every tank is swaying hundreds of feet above the ground, dangling by a steel cable.

The enemy faces a conundrum: should they shoot the helicopter, the dangling tank will plummet earthwards and be destroyed.

The friendly forces have a choice: ask the tanks to surrender (and work out some method of ensuring no false flag), or just fly over a deep lake and drop 'em?

Now...theoretically, that would work. Just need some heavy-lift helos. In a stroke, every tank's defensive suite would be rendered impotent.

Is the Abrams perfect? Nope. However, it is a great tank, especially given the US method of deployment, combined arms, and support. Can it be improved? Well, we're up to M1A2v3 and there's rumor of an M1A3 coming up.

9 minutes ago, c3k said:

One of the German tanks did... Shrug.)

Pz.IV up to the Ausf H springs to mind, it had an APU for the turret traverse (it may have powered some other things too), this was removed on the Ausf J and replaced with a fuel tank (possibly some extra ammo too).

Somewhat irrelevant, but there you go.  ;)

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, BTR said:

The U.S. Army will finally install the Israeli Trophy active protection system on at least some M1A2 Abrams tanks in response to an urgent request." So, can we have the APS M1 variant modeled now? ;)

GHpYvWN.jpg

LiGHW60.jpg

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/14748/us-army-buys-israeli-trophy-system-so-its-tanks-can-blast-incoming-projectiles 

Low profile CROWS also.