Polish antitank pistol in action

4 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

The question is: Did he kill the tank or fid he fail miserably? ?

He popped off three shots before the tank shot back, with predictable results. Why the TacAI thinks a pistol is a good weapon of choice against a Panther tank I don't know.

Either it's a stupid bug or a very clever feature where panicked troops will sometimes do nonsensical things. And I honestly don't know which version it is.

But pistols are not that bad actually. In the same game, I later assaulted and took out an AT gun position with a tank crew in a forest; three guys with lugers pack a lot of firepower at point blank range.

10 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

He popped off three shots before the tank shot back, with predictable results. Why the TacAI thinks a pistol is a good weapon of choice against a Panther tank I don't know.

Either it's a stupid bug or a very clever feature where panicked troops will sometimes do nonsensical things. And I honestly don't know which version it is.

But pistols are not that bad actually. In the same game, I later assaulted and took out an AT gun position with a tank crew in a forest; three guys with lugers pack a lot of firepower at point blank range.

Yeah, I once had a Puma crew taking out a complete squad from, say, 7m distance.

The 9 bullets per pistol don't last long, but can put out tremendous firepower for a minute.

6 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Yeah, I once had a Puma crew taking out a complete squad from, say, 7m distance.

The 9 bullets per pistol don't last long, but can put out tremendous firepower for a minute.

Also, I think it's because they quickly pop off nine separate aimed shots.

In contrast, when firing an SMG in this game, it sends out a stream of bullets, but it only seems to aim once. So if the aim is off, all the bullets are wasted. If the aim is on target, all the bullets are wasted apart from the first one.

As an example of this, after those three pistol guys had proven their worth, I sent them to buddy-aid some MP40s, thinking if they could do so much with handguns, they'd be terrifying with submachineguns. But later in that game one of the survivors came up against a rifle enemy in the forest at 10m range. The SMG guy emptied his weapon and stopped to reload not once but a full three times, while his enemy fired off rifle shot after rifle shot against him to no effect. That was pretty odd.

Edited by Bulletpoint

29 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

The latter. And they use what they have in hand so, in this case they guy had his rifle over his shoulder while running and his pistol in hand. 

In contrast, when firing an SMG in this game, it sends out a stream of bullets, but it only seems to aim once. So if the aim is off, all the bullets are wasted. If the aim is on target, all the bullets are wasted apart from the first one.

?? Surely you are not suggesting that it is wrong to aim per burst of an SMG.

Your pixel troops, like the real ones, want thier target to go down and stay down. Three, five, 25 bullets to the center of mass is not wasted. I thier minds that is.

But later in that game one of the survivors came up against a rifle enemy in the forest at 10m range. The SMG guy emptied his weapon and stopped to reload not once but a full three times, while his enemy fired off rifle shot after rifle shot against him to no effect. That was pretty odd.

Yeah, need a recording of that for the record because that's an awesome outlier!

On 4/25/2017 at 6:35 AM, Bulletpoint said:

CM Normandy 2017-04-25 12-26-26-60.jpg

Let no one say that Poles are not brave :)

How long was the Panther in LOS for, and was it unbuttoned in previous Action Phase ?...If it was unbuttoned previously (and you didn't know it), then it could be that the Infantry thinks of it as an unbuttoned Vehicle (even thou it's now buttoned) and decided to shoot at it for an Action Phase or two (basically, carry-over effects). 

11 hours ago, Erwin said:

Well, that's almost 7 seconds per shot.  A trained person can accurately shoot in far less than that.

I personally never managed. But, indeed, I remember that my army trainers were not all that happy with my rate of fire.

I sort of "grew up" in sport shooting clubs,   shooting air gun and small bore rifle, where you have 90 minutes for 60 shot. Precision was the key, not speed.

10 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

How long was the Panther in LOS for, and was it unbuttoned in previous Action Phase ?...If it was unbuttoned previously (and you didn't know it), then it could be that the Infantry thinks of it as an unbuttoned Vehicle (even thou it's now buttoned) and decided to shoot at it for an Action Phase or two (basically, carry-over effects). 

Maybe I should have clarified that I was playing the Germans. I had not unbuttoned the tank at any point.

15 hours ago, IanL said:

?? Surely you are not suggesting that it is wrong to aim per burst of an SMG.

Of course not. I was saying the opposite actually. SMGs would be more useful at close ranges in this game if the shooter fired more, faster, and shorter bursts so that the game code would allow re-aiming in between each burst. Because the more re-aiming cycles you get, the better chances of hitting anything. SMGs can't "walk the fire" unto the target.

5 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Of course not. I was saying the opposite actually. SMGs would be more useful at close ranges in this game if the shooter fired more, faster, and shorter bursts so that the game code would allow re-aiming in between each burst. Because the more re-aiming cycles you get, the better chances of hitting anything. SMGs can't "walk the fire" unto the target.

Now, Now...PointofBullet, don't give BF any ideas as I already think SMG's are over modeled, and need of toning down abit (especially at range).

Edited by JoMc67

20 hours ago, cool breeze said:

I don't have a lot of time at the range but Id call that slow aimed fire ;)

Perhaps a look at the time frame helps: Breath in, breath out: 2secs

Adjust target: 2 secs

Pull trigger: 1 sec

Bring back from recoil: 1 sec

Leaves 1 sec for the unforeseen, like if your target dares to move....

Try it with a NERF gun in front of the mirror and substract the recoil second. ?

My introduction to shooting was with the Pink Pistols, a local gay shooting/self-defence club.  And the leader of the group rents the indoor municipal shooting range so the group can practice combat shooting techniques and rapid (semi auto) fire.  So I didn't start with the minutes per round expectation you did.  For me, when I count out 7 seconds in my head it seems like a long time.

Edited by cool breeze
I live in CA, aka the Wild West moved forward in time, so this is kinda home of fast shooting

18 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

Now, Now...PointofBullet, don't give BF any ideas as I already think SMG's are over modeled, and need of toning down abit (especially at range).

Don't worry, as far as I know I've never managed to give BF any ideas :)

I'd suggest toning down the SMGs a bit at long range, but tone them up at very close ranges.