Mosul (Iraq) The small red-headed child of an epic MOUT map!

Cheers, I reckon it's getting there (I had a very good starting point).....Lot's still to do.

Spent a very unproductive seven hours messing with overly complex AI scripts last night.....It's a phase that I seem to have to go through before I can get down to doing something sensible.  :rolleyes:

Here's some more scenery, all based on the handiwork of my esteemed testers (with a little bulldozer work for ease of passage):

CwR8JCj.jpg

CTS have also been keeping their engineers busy with construction work:

FT7CrMA.jpg

The newly constructed berm (on the junction of the Maqbara & Al Ansar roads) screens the initial deployment area from (most) prying eyes. 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Here's what's going on behind the berm:

cOkoGvQ.jpg

Iraqi 37-9th Armoured send reinforcements to secure CTS right flank as they continue the push toward the River Tigris.

I seem to recall someone making a 'Tank-Scrape' building tutorial, does anyone know where it is (or how to build nice tank-scrapes)?

Cheers fella.....Glad you enjoyed it.  B)

TBH the battle is probably a little more intense than it should be.....With more AI groups I would use fewer units and have them move more, but it is what it is and I've done what I could with the eight slots in hand (CM:SF II, I love you already!  :D ).

As I said elsewhere, I'm having a bit of a rethink on the initial forces for the sequel, 'Al Hutumah', much as I'd love to give the player some T-72s & BMPs I just can't support it with pictures or accounts on the ground, so it's not going in.  I'll give them a fair shout if I ever get round to doing the much nastier fighting in West Mosul, but TBH we really need CM:SF II and a few of the units from CM:BS to model the 9th AD reasonably accurately (they have turned their BMPs in for BTR-4s or M113s by & large). 

West Mosul really would be a challenge, the areas of heaviest fighting (ie: where we tend to set scenarios) aren't nicely laid out blocks like Hayy El Karamah (or Ramadi for that matter), they're a total warren:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mosul,+Iraq/@36.3427367,43.1229178,1779m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x40079464db1a88b9:0x9745d74edd0f0930!8m2!3d36.3566484!4d43.1640004

Sad to note that the Al Nouri Mosque is no longer marked on Google Maps.....Poor Mosul.  :(

I will also toss in that I really enjoyed this...even though I suffered a tactical defeat.  Even though I captured the OBVIOUS geographic objectives I.......SPOILER ALERT..........

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Missed all the other mission/point objectives.  AND of course I blundered into too many IEDs and took to many casualties.  You know something like this.."Hey Abdul take your squad over there and check out that abandoned taxi..."  "Sure Mohamed".....BOOOOOMMM... :D

Yea, I was kinda stupid like that.  After a short period of time I may revist this...try and be a LITTLE more patient and not rush into things.

Overall, I have to say this is one of the best MOUT maps I have played on CMSF, and I know there are some darn fine ones out there, so BIG kudos for the map.

The AI is also pretty tough, although to be fair, the defenders just have to defend...but they use those #%*#^$ IEDs to great effect on numbskull commanders like yours truly.

Someday, when CMSF2 shows up (fingers crossed) I would love to see this scenario ported over to the new engine...not sure how IEDs and VBIEDs may work, but I bet the new AI features would be awesome.

Thanks very much for this..BZ from me!

Edited by grunt_GI