Mosul (Iraq) The small red-headed child of an epic MOUT map!

13 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Let's be honest fella, the degree of synchronicity has been quite high throughout the design process.....Which is lucky really because as you know, I didn't have a clue where I was going at the start.  :unsure:

All things considered I think it turned out OK.  ;)

Yeah I know - let me know when its got to the point where it just needs the mission graphics tooling around with.

14 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

So do you want to try it out for yourself yet.....I could really use an AAR to get this wrapped up, balancing out the VPs in this scenario has been quite challenging. 

Check your PMs mate - I might be able to help you fix it without putting @Erwin through the meat grinder of testing.

Cheers dude, TBH I spent last night fixing it (while also conquering Tokugawa Japan).....The main thing I'm hoping to learn from testers is:

'How much of the city did they need to blow up and how many VPs did it cost them for 'Civilian Casualties', if any?'

As I designed the scenario my own tests tend to display either pin-point accuracy, or massive overkill.....It's the natural dilemma of self-testing. 

The version of the scenario that is with @MOS:96B2P and @sburke is painted & pointed identically for 'Civilian Casualties', so their data is still valid and useful to me, despite the other revisions I was forced to make.

PS - I should probably add for the benefit of the wider readership (if there is such a thing) that the revisions were made after I realised that a first turn ceasefire scored the player a win (which really won't do in a campaign game), I've fixed that issue and restructured the points to compensate.  The values assigned to 'Civilian Casualties' were not effected.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Yeah, I'm playing Shogun 2 for similar reasons.  ;)

I feel that I have to test Ashsh al-Dababir again myself now (I've just set-up), but it's very artificial as I already know where all the IEDs/Snipers etc. etc. are.  I already know the outcome should be OK, but I feel I must check it anyway, just to be thorough.  :rolleyes:

I really want to get this one out there, everything is done now, even the Tactical Map (barring any graphics Combartintman is so kind as to make for me)!  B)

PS - I feel I should add that none of this would be an issue if Red could score VPs for an Occupy Objective in CM:SF.  :mellow:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Ten minutes left to go on my latest test.....Three fairly trivial map issues discovered and fixed (urban maps are hellish for this), still no results on 'Civilian Casualties', which is pretty disappointing.  :(

So with my test completed I've gone & made a whole load more work for myself.....But the end result will be better for it (many thanks to Combatintman for finding the missing link).  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 6/22/2017 at 9:58 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

CTS in action:

My respect for these guys grows the more I see of them.  B)

Great footage, many thanks for sharing. You really get the claustrophobia faced by the roadbound columns in the built up zones. While Daesh 'counterattacks' with just a few infiltrators.

It appears there is a very real WMD threat in Mosul:  https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/article165906278/The-Islamic-State-s-Horror-Arsenal.html

I don't know how many X-Ray machines there were in the city prior to the ISIS takeover, but it's a very worrying proposition.....Let's hope CTS and their comrades can throw a truly inescapable net around the city and finish them off before anything catastrophic can happen.

"Furthermore they reported that they had sensed a strong garlic-like odor in the air - a clear indication of the so-called mustard gas, first deployed as a biological weapon by German soldiers in World War I."

OMG!!!  My house must have been contaminated by ISIS!!!  

I'd be fairly confident of that.....It seems wherever there is a hard fight to be won, CTS will be in the thick of it, usually with one of the Brigades of 9th Armoured providing muscle. 

Little heads-up for anyone offered scenario writing advice by Combatintman.....He really knows what he's on about.  B)

Family matters (nice ones, mostly birthdays) have interfered with my scenario writing efforts recently and will continue to do so for a little while yet....But I'm still doing the odd bit here & there (one block at a time).

On 7/4/2017 at 9:00 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

This doesn't look good:  http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/isis-militants-live-among-liberated-civilians-mosul-say-residents-n778966

Some of the groups involved in hunting down these stay behinds are getting as bad as the head-choppers themselves.  :mellow:

Poor bloody Mosul.  :(

Take those bastards alive, and about the last part to get chopped off is their heads....