Market garden,heuman lock bridge

Its been six months since i tried this game ..  Last time i played i got to the heuman lock bridge scenario but encountered the concrete bunker and went no futher . Now after an update the bunker was changed to a wooden bunker so i thought i would give it another go.. But now my troops refuse to cross the bridge. .  they are not supressed or anything they will just not cross the bridge .It is like there is a wall in the way ...  they are all bunched and refuse to move !!!    Any ideas???

Edited by evo6tme

Bridges in the Combat Mission series are bugged and they have been bugged since the beginning. 

I reported a bridge bug a few days ago in one of the many existing bridge bug threads. Then I started reading up on the issue.

What I find most interesting is that many of the long-standing members of this forum have nothing of substance to say on this issue in the threads. For example, in 2016 IanL wrote in the "Courage & Fortitude - Tank stuck on bridge" thread:  "Bridges are a pain sometimes.  There have been may glitches and many fixes.  As they come up they get fixed.  Do you have a saved game file you could share?  Also what version of the game are you playing?". Also in 2016, rocketman wrote in the "Battle Pack Bridge Bug Report" thread: "Oh no, the bridge bug. I thought we had got rid of it :( Hope it will be solved finally." Often what I hear from senior members is "do you have a save file?". 

Can someone explain this issue to me please? I don't get it. My take-away from IanL's comments and other members who ask for saved game files is that bridge bugs are viewed as being solvable on a case-by-case basis. But given that this has been a problem for over 5 years, it seems to me that the issue is systemic. Perhaps the problem is not solvable without major changes to the code that render other aspects of the gameplay imperfect? Just trying to understand, since the bridge bug can ruin hours of gaming, requiring that the victim start over or give up and go for another mission/campaign. 

2 hours ago, Pericles said:

Can someone explain this issue to me please? I don't get it. My take-away from IanL's comments and other members who ask for saved game files is that bridge bugs are viewed as being solvable on a case-by-case basis. But given that this has been a problem for over 5 years, it seems to me that the issue is systemic. Perhaps the problem is not solvable without major changes to the code that render other aspects of the gameplay imperfect? Just trying to understand, since the bridge bug can ruin hours of gaming, requiring that the victim start over or give up and go for another mission/campaign.

Correct there are multiple cases that arise and, once reported, get fixed. I have not seen the code and am not qualified nor even permitted to make any official comments. The way it has been explained is that there are corner cases that players run into and they need to be looked at individually - hence the need for saved games. In my opinion bridges are interesting because they create path opportunities for units that are not part of the basic terrain. Path finding is a challenging area for AI and bridges interact with that. In fact team splitting and pathing issues is another area where corner cases popup and have to be looked at on a case by case basis.

So in summary there is no singular bridge bug there are many bridge bugs. When the get found and reported fully they get fixed.

At this point there is no way to fix "bridges are broken" reports. If people want bugs fixed they need to provide saves.

I´d unpacked the campaign and had a quick look at that particular missions map and units. My guess would be that the proximity of the bridge end to the wooden pillbox and maybe the adjoining water hex prevents path finding to work for the units in question. I had similar problems with pillboxes in close proximity to other map objects, which increased some more in V4.0 I think. Pillboxes appear to create some special restrictions for path finding in the immediate vicinity, as probably do wire entanglements which are present in that heuman scenario as well. Having all that problematic map objects (bridges, pillbox, wire...) in too close proximity, asks for trouble IMO.

On 27/02/2017 at 11:17 PM, IanL said:

So in summary there is no singular bridge bug there are many bridge bugs. When the get found and reported fully they get fixed.

At this point there is no way to fix "bridges are broken" reports. If people want bugs fixed they need to provide saves.

Ok. I submitted my save from the Heuman Lockbridge battle with bug in v4.0.

5 minutes ago, BletchleyGeek said:

Did you get to fire its main gun? What an awesome screenshot. 

The best bit was watching it drive up there, across the top and then down the other side. Needless to say this was from an early Beta when the large bridges were first introduced

and just because I love this one

wowa.jpg

P

Always found the Heuman Lock Bridge to be nearly impossible without horrific losses in any case.

Anyone ever post an AAR of their success in this mission? I'd be interested to see how it is done. Even the change of the pillbox from concrete to timber didn't really help me.

• 8 months later...