Building Types and Protection

I think this was probably discussed already...

Ok, what are all the different Building Types and their related Protection...Looking into the Editor I see Modular buildings, Houses, Church, which are Small and Large, Stone vs Wood, etc.

One example;..On an average Map I will sometimes notice what seems to be two different Barn Buildings types with some being half Stone\Wood vs all Wood, etc...Will a Stone\Wood Barn offer more protection then an all Wooden Barn ?

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

2 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

<Snip> what are all the different Building Types and their related Protection...Looking into the Editor I see Modular buildings, Houses, Church, which are Small and Large, Stone vs Wood, etc.  <Snip> 

The below link may have information you would find interesting.  And to paraphrase something @akd posted 15 January 2017: 

Building textures are just textures and don't directly tell you anything about cover (every building has multiple textures to provide more visual variety).  Building cover is tied to the model itself, and generally larger, more urban structures (e.g. Large modular, church) provide better cover than smaller, more rural structures (e.g. Small barns are worst cover).

Edited by MOS:96B2P

This business of protection level being tied to building size is a real gripe regarding CMx2 I have over CMx1. There, you could have even the smallest buildings made of stone.

This one is little different from a pillbox.

c9bb3ec49a783f8b05655af06f020f91.jpg

Pinterest lists over 1000 photos of stone cottages and farmhouses in Normandy.

1000+ images about Normandy stone cottages & farmhouses on ...

https://www.pinterest.com/lanormandy/normandy-stone-cottages-farmhouses/

Page 136 of Normandy: The Real Story, by Shelagh Whitaker and Dennis Whitaker is explicit as to the commonness of such things, calling them typical in a Norman farming village.

Here's another one, with a Panther tank in it for visual scale. Wish I could find the photo, but there's a great one of SS infantry moving past a small single story Norman outbuilding (about as big as a one car garage) made of stone.

As far as I'm concerned, size shouldn't limit what a building is constructed from, especially in a situation where small stone buildings are the norm. I believe BFC needs to address this.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Building protection has always been one of my issues with CMx2 as well.  A moderately trained soldier can look at structure and in fairly short order be able to tell you how much protection it will afford.  With CMx2 we have to guess at it.   

I personally would like to see a more full proof way of determining defensive properties of any given building.  With that said there should also be some way to fortify or improve a buildings protection.  Maybe something you can purchase during setup.   

Edited by Rocky Balboa

13 hours ago, user1000 said:

I imagine a stone building would be better than a wooden barn.

That's how it should be, but reading some of the posts here and in other threads leaves me to wonder. And let us not forget stone barns or at least barns of which the first two meters or so are stonework.

Michael

• 4 years later...